Forgot it! your improvisation stories.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Forgot it! your improvisation stories.

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 01 Oct, 2019 1:35 pm

Overnight trip a few weeks ago. Limited space so to avoid sparks on the fly I waited to setup until bed time.

At that point realised I'd forgotten my pole extender and it was impossible to find a good rock in the dark. Cursing and resigned to a annoyingly low net and fly I had a brain wave!

I can use my pot! Worked like charm!

Anyone else got improvisation stories?
Attachments
pot holder.jpg
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Forgot it! your improvisation stories.

Postby Petew » Tue 01 Oct, 2019 2:18 pm

Two broken tent poles whilst snow camping and only one pole splint. Pot handle to the rescue. Cook pots are handy it seems.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Aardvark » Tue 01 Oct, 2019 3:00 pm

In NZ, between activities and having a broken snow shoe strap. None available in any store that's practical to go to. It's close to end of day.
Visited the back of a tyre shop to seek a bit of inner tube rubber from the bin. Cut my own and continued on to the next trailhead.
Worked for days and the end of holiday.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 01 Oct, 2019 10:34 pm

In my early days off walking I got a really bad case of gastro. In the middle of a week long traverse hike. My first aid kit was pretty crap back then with not much helpful stuff in it. So when whisky couldn't fix the gastro, I resorted to making a fire and eating some charcoal. Which I might add, was so sandy despite trying to clean it as best as I could.
It's still painful to think back to the sandy charcoal but it did the trick. I was considerably better the next morning and fine by night.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 02 Oct, 2019 5:33 am

Lost my plastic spoon to a hot fire and had to carve one from a lump of snowgum using my Swiss Army Knife
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby stepbystep » Wed 02 Oct, 2019 1:48 pm

Meet Frankenpaddle. I left the middle(joining) section of my five piece paddle at home, discovered as much after a 3 hour drive, 8 hour walk in to the Crossing River. I fashioned a joiner out of a piece of eucalypt which snapped on the third day on the river, this is the second version using some huon pine(!), some 3mm cord and a heap of strapping tape. This version got me down the Davey River and across Port Davey and Bathurst Harbour!!!
Attachments
25440142_1600937243285809_5649253969447756843_o.jpg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment