Goodbye to cheap china postage?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Goodbye to cheap china postage?

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 9:56 am

Apparently, the US got upset that Chinese shippers were paying a heavily reduced rate for shipping due to postal agreements that hadn’t been updated since the 1960s. Chinese shippers (due to their 'developing economy' status) paid A$7.50 to ship across the US. US based shippers paid A$30

So a new agreement is being drawn up allowing receiving postal services to charge their own inbound rates. Those with 75,000 tonnes per annum of received postal items from next July. Everyone else from 2021.

According to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... deal-trump

'Once a country declares their rate, exporting countries will have to factor that cost; it means that cost will be transferred to the person sending that item ... When you are in a country and you buy items overseas, the end-customer will definitely have to pay a higher price.“

I’m going to miss receiving free postage for ebay $5 items shipped from China. How that was ever economical is beyond me.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Goodbye to cheap china postage?

Postby Warin » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 10:45 am

wildwanderer wrote:I’m going to miss receiving free postage for ebay $5 items shipped from China. How that was ever economical is beyond me.

It wasn't. Some of mine have been less than $5..

There is a 5 year period of adjustment.. so it won't be sudden.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:22 am

Watched a video about how China was still considered a Level 3 (? maybe category 3, can't remember exactly) economy for the purposes of international postage agreements. As a result they get cheap rates from countries like us (we are Level 1 apparently). Which basically means we have been subsidising their postage system for years.

The question that is prompting action by certain nations is can China be considered a developing nation any more? Many think it is not and is gaining an unfair advantage under current trade agreements.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. If I can find the video on YouTube again I will post it here.
Last edited by michael_p on Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:24 am

Postage should go up in price, environmentally wise. As much as it pains me to say it.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 8:03 pm

More tit-for-tat that makes us all pay. The thing is that "government" postal services are the only thing keeping the courier services in line as far as pricing and services go. Should some postage cost more? Sure, and we also probably ship more crap than we actually need to. But we live in a global world, and so many distribution companies rely on boarders and the added markup to make things work. So I have the choice, grey import something, pay the distributor exclusive mark-up, or buy the cheap crap. Ah the joy of complex systems and their interactions. The alternatives are the "Postage paid on delivery" of long ago, and I think we can all agree that we don't want that.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment