Windbreakers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Windbreakers

Postby LachlanB » Sun 22 Sep, 2019 9:58 pm

So with spring starting to (slightly) warm up, my thoughts have gone to any new gear for summer. For several years now, I've been contemplating getting a windbreaker of some kind. Reason being, I generally prefer a heavier 700g (ish) raincoat, and when there's rain around, the extra weight doesn't bother me. But I find myself carting it on many summer walks where I know there's no chance of rain, but I want some protection from the wind, or an extra layer for whatever reason. This seems silly, carting a heavy jacket to provide a function (protection from rain) that isn't necessary.

Slight problem is, I haven't managed to find anything that quite seems to fit the bill. I'm after something that's:
- Lightweight (otherwise I might as well take my raincoat)
- No water resistance
- Breathable
- Durable enough to use off-track (can compromise on this one tho)
- Cheap would be nice

Anyone got something similar? I've tried searching this forum and the internet, but mostly end up finding endless lists of lightweight raincoats. Is what I'm looking for really a dream, with anything breathable enough to not leave you a ball of sweat in summer and stop the wind going to have to be a raincoat?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Windbreakers

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 5:19 am

fleeces are often better if you need to wear something a lot to reduce the wind , windbreakers are still clammy, only wind breaker i might use is a vest, whatever i can find in the shop. mont bell make good ones
if you want durable you're starting to look more at a softshell because windshells dont often stand up to bush bashing. at least not where i am.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lamont » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 6:29 am

Light breathable Op shop shirt. Chuck it over the top of what you're wearing when windy $1-$2. Kiuiu Peleton 97 (gms/m) fleece. Much more expensive and can be fragile but just superb. 150 gms total weight with hood. Baz As quarter zip-Amazon 160gm/m fleece-cheap as chips fleece. Total weight 220 gms in M. Fishing shirt from BCF might get a few snags tho' get the one you can blow thru easiest. Big bargain poncho. Lots of options cheap and not so.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Mark F » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 10:55 am

I've been using a Mont Bell UL Wind Jacket (81 grams) for the last 9 years, often paired with a light grid fleece with half zip (about 250 grams) and have been very pleased with the versatility of the combo. Recently I decided to try out a wind jacket with a hood using it with a light fleece. I found the Decathlon Helium 500 Wind Jacket ([url]https://decathlon.com.au/products/109766[/url) ]worked equally well and only $29. It is a little heavier at 119 grams but does have a hood. Unlike many wind jackets it has areas of punched holes under the armpits for better ventilation where it is needed. I also got a new grid fleece from Decathlon ($19 [url]https://decathlon.com.au/products/302512#[/url]) as my old Kathmandu ones are on their last legs. The Decathlon tops work as well as my old ones but cost $50 rather than $150.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:01 pm

Mark F wrote:I also got a new grid fleece from Decathlon ($19 https://decathlon.com.au/products/302512#) as my old Kathmandu ones are on their last legs.

I also bought one of those recently. Just back from North America where I used it quite a bit on some day hikes and general travel (coincidentally I also took my older Kathmandu equivalent). The Decathlon fleece is great value and very lightweight, hard to beat for $19. On at least one alpine walk I teamed it with a Montane Featherlight smock windshirt. I've owned a couple of those for many years and find them fantastic. Gossamer light and so compact. Always carry one in my daypack for situations as the OP describes but they are not cheap.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 2:37 pm

LachlanB wrote: Is what I'm looking for really a dream, with anything breathable enough to not leave you a ball of sweat in summer and stop the wind going to have to be a raincoat?

Forgot to mention-also worth thinking about the nylon 'fauxdini'-75 gms in L.
CFM about one coffee filter-60-70CFM. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Women-Girl ... 0012.m1985
This is not the seller I used but there are many sellers-just make sure it is this exact jacket.
It is the champ. The colours in real life match the pics-bike jackets after all.
Everyone should try this (BARRGGAINN-20 spondoolicks!) little number-sizing can be an issue 2XXL equals M/L here!
Strangely durable-is it a very light taslanated nylon perhaps? I've always wondered. Will even take some Nikwax.
Worn for five hours active this morn temps 2-9 with the wind chill, gusting 20-30 knots, over the Baz As fleece as the only underlayer-snug and the fleece was basically 'touch dry'.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 2:57 pm

Windbreakers of the shiny lightweight kind can be pretty clammy unless it is quite cold.

I use a Rab 'softshell' - really a nylon lycra hoodie that is light, breathes well and is not 100% windproof so it still allows plenty of water vapour to escape when you are working hard. It feels like a shirt, not a shell, and I have worn it against the skin on a hot day in the Aus alps for sun protection and it is pretty comfortable. It's designed as a climbing layer so fairly scrub resistant.

II walk quite fast and sweat a lot so this suits me.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 3:12 pm

slparker wrote:Windbreakers of the shiny lightweight kind can be pretty clammy unless it is quite cold.

I use a Rab 'softshell' - really a nylon lycra hoodie that is light, breathes well and is not 100% windproof so it still allows plenty of water vapour to escape when you are working hard. It feels like a shirt, not a shell, and I have worn it against the skin on a hot day in the Aus alps for sun protection and it is pretty comfortable. It's designed as a climbing layer so fairly scrub resistant.

II walk quite fast and sweat a lot so this suits me.

which one? they have a few different softshell materials
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 3:51 pm

Borealis.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... cket-p8645

got one on special a while ago. There's nothing magic about them - just a single weave nylon/lycra but no membrane, athletic fit, good hood. I genberally wear it over a base in cold weather but, as I said, was comfortable next to skin at 30 celsius when I used it for sun protection, so pretty versatile.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 3:58 pm

I use an enlightened equipment one. Same stuff they make their quilts out of, with a full zip and hood. I'm very happy with it and is fantastic with a microgrid fleece underneath. Not cheap or tough though.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Biggles » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 4:36 pm

The North Face has an lightweight and very compact (packed) coat (Venture 2 Jacket, 330grams), fully-featured with hood and underarm zips, windproof and shower proof. So...? This jacket is thinner than a box of Redhead matches when folded and stored in the back of my Lowe photo pack. It can also be folded into its own pocket, but that won't make it flat, just fatter.

https://thenorthface.com.au/product/men ... D31WK.html

Personally I am inclined to angle for a windbreaker vest just to slap on for a bit of extra warmth on these chilly early Spring mornings (it should start warming up now the Spring Equinox has arrived!). Arc'Teryx makes an excellent one http://www.bogong.com.au/arcteryx-atom- ... est-1.html
(I bought it a few weeks ago and only used it this morning on my run where it rained on me! :cry: ).
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 4:56 pm

the venture is a waterproof shell .
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 5:40 pm

wayno wrote:the venture is a waterproof shell .

It's a bit more where it counts when unexpected... Windproof, waterproof, breathable,
comfy and well made (Vietnam).
Last edited by Biggles on Tue 24 Sep, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 5:41 pm

It's a Enightened Equipment Copperfield wind shirt. Weighs a whopping 59g in medium (10 denier). I have the pants too and they both fit into a sea to summit pillow stuff sack. Very happy with them
Petew

Postby LachlanB » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks guys, you've given me a bunch to think about. I don't like the idea of just using a fleece or an overshirt, because in my experience the wind usually just cuts straight through them. Sure it helps a bit, but isn't in the same league as my raincoat..
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 9:43 am

depends on the fleece, powerstretch is more windproof than average or theres wind fleece which cuts the wind.. but otherwise general fleeces do have their limits in cold windy conditions
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 9:45 am

LachlanB wrote: I don't like the idea of just using a fleece or an overshirt, because in my experience the wind usually just cuts straight through them.

The whole purpose of using both a fleece and a wind shell is that the combination is more adaptable to a far wider range of conditions and usually lighter than using just a fleece or a wind shell. For instance my wind shell and light (100 weight) grid fleece weigh about 300 grams while my old windfleece jacket (Kathmandu Windjammer) of similar performance weighs 550 grams. The light fleece works nicely on its own in less windy conditions and can be used under my rain jacket while the wind shirt mainly gets worn over my fleece in colder and windier conditions. I should mention that much of my walking is mainly alpine/sub alpine eg: knp and Tassie, but on my recent trip to Lord Howe Island I found the wind shirt over a polypro top worked well with the strong winds we encountered even though the temperature was around 18-20 degrees which made the fleece redundant.
Last edited by Mark F on Tue 24 Sep, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 10:07 am

LachlanB wrote:Thanks guys, you've given me a bunch to think about. I don't like the idea of just using a fleece or an overshirt, because in my experience the wind usually just cuts straight through them. Sure it helps a bit, but isn't in the same league as my raincoat..

No worries but nothing will stop the wind like a 700gm raincoat, that's true enough, but you asked for non sweaty options and in summer, which rules out the raincoat straight away.
You need to dump some moisture along with blocking (some of the) the wind to avoid steaming like a dimmy in there. It can be done to a good degree. As you have never tried it you have nothing to lose.
Maybe try out some of the cheaper options offered and report back! I'd love to know how you go. :D
Trial and error is the best teacher and for around a paltry $20 -(less than half a pinapple!-yowza) you can carry most of the light items listed (around 75-200 gms) with almost no weight and space impost as well. You cannot lose!
Bingo, bango...
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment