Mats: internal mould dots.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mats: internal mould dots.

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 3:47 pm

Ive had several mats develop mould dots ( on the inside of the mat)
Outside is clean/fine.

Despite not looking the best, does anyone know whether these are harmful? (to the person sleeping)

Im assuming they develop because I breathe into the mats rather than use a bag inflation system.

I always store unrolled and with the plug out.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mats: internal mould dots.

Postby Biggles » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 4:09 pm

Active mold (mold being a non-scientific reference to any manner of fungi) requires moisture to start and thrive, and it is obtaining that moisture from your breath during inflation! Moisture + Warmth (from lying on the mat...). To mold, the dark insides of your mattress/es is a most appealing place to be!

It is possible (but not a rule) to pick up a bacterial infection or an allergy if in contact with a lot of it repeatedly. Mold spores are everywhere around you, but to become a nuisance they require moisture, in which they will proliferate, which is why you can find mold hiding behind bathroom mirrors, along the eves where moisture rises et al. If there are a large number of mold spots or they are increasing, it is better to discard the mattress — I cannot imagine trying to eradicate it by continuing to use it, rather the opposite of encouraging it to thrive.

Concentrating a spray of Glen 20 through the inflator and then sealing the valve may have a small affect; you'd also do this when selling your mattress to another user. Glen 20 is effective against many types of fungi, viruses and opportunistic pathogens e.g. e.coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, which gather enthusiastically around toilets, wet basins, baths and sink areas. Bleach is a powerful remedy (used in hospitals against MSSA and MRSA (both are 'golden staph'), which don't care much for ordinary antiseptics), but don't put that into a mattress. :wink:

Take-away: replace the mattress.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 4:46 pm

Being a cheapskate, I'd probably live with the mould, but would keep my face away from the nozzle when deflating the mat.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 4:57 pm

The world is full of the stuff. It's not a worry but maybe try not to breath it in. The inside of my mat is covered with it.

Please don't bring up your children in a Glen 20 World. They'll end up as sick adults.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks everyone,

Yeah I generally agree with the thought that the world is full of mould and it's unlikely to hurt.

I'm surprised that mat manufacturers don't put a anti bacterial coating on the inner surface though.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:38 pm

Glen 20 would be worth a try and perhaps also vaporise some vinegar somehow in there but it is acidic so don’t drench it as it may eat away the lining.

When not in use try inflating and deflating a lot on a hot day or dry air conditions in the sunlight which may help dry and destroy the growth.

Otherwise mould in high concentrations for those in weakened states can be a health issue https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... our-health

Although there does not appear to be documented cases there might be in rare cases possibility in theory for conditions that create Legionella disease bacteria growth inside if the extreme and right conditions exist and someone inhales too much of the dirty air inside. Legionella gives a pneumonia like disease. Here’s more information when it occurs from garden potting mix bags with health warning labels and every year some sensitive people get the disease https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/about/me ... mix-safely Further research would be needed to test and confirm this hypothesis in mouldy air mats.

Some mould dots shouldn’t be enough to cause serious issues but a lot of it covering larger patches may be so.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lamont » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 7:10 am

Hey WW for what it's worth, I have read you are not neccesarily seeing mould. And storing it with the valve open does nothing, no fresh air can get in. I also dont reckon trying to 'wash' the mould out would work at all it's way too maze like in there. But if concerned and you are not already doing this, just start again! Breathe free/ walk on. Cheap/easy and no need to turf the mat! Get a cheap clear Nylofume bag (25 gms) off ebay (tough!) and go! Outlay -a cup of coffee. The cheaper bags just fall apart too quick. Easily the best bag I have found. Buy a couple. Have used mine over and over. If its an innie clear soft plastic pipe can be had hardware shop.
Tough (secondary one if need be) dry bag then you can use in your sack. About 45 litres in volume. Here's what I have basically been doing. Mr Grizzle seems to have a revelation!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybRUAgXwiEs
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment