Repairing goretex

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Repairing goretex

Postby Stew63 » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 7:10 pm

So I was gliding down a glacier in the Northern Japanese Alps a couple of weeks ago and I got an 8cm tear in the backside of my new Marmot goretex pants.
Any ideas or suggestions as to the BEST way to effectively repair it? It's a straight 8cm tear.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Repairing goretex

Postby ribuck » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 8:26 pm

I had a similar tear in the backside of some goretex pants. I took them in for repair, expecting to pay, and a week later I got a call saying that the manufacturer preferred to give me a new pair instead. It's a few years ago, but I think the licensor of GoreTex puts pressure on their manufacturers and vendors to keep up the good name of the products.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 9:00 pm

Failing getting them replaced use aqua seal. I have used it on goretex waders in the past. Try looking on YouTube.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 11:33 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:Failing getting them replaced use aqua seal. I have used it on goretex waders in the past. Try looking on YouTube.

Or Seam Grip as it's very similar. Depending on how much stress you expect that particular 8cm tear to get it might be prudent to reinforce the repair with fabric.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 6:36 am

If you decide to repair them yourself..
Put sticky tape to cover the tear on the inside. This makes the edges of the tear sit flat..
Use Seam Grip (keep the tube in the fridge once opened and you'll get months out of it) to spread a layer over the tear on the outside. Enough to extend a few mm beyond the limits of the tear. Wait until no longer tacky. Minimum of 6 hrs generally. Sprinkle a little talc on the end result.
Take the tape off the inside and repeat another layer of seam grip in its place.
If done properly it will last the life of the pants.
If the fabric near the tear is going to be under stress, sew a patch and seam grip the stitching.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Orion » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 9:06 am

Aardvark wrote:...Seam Grip (keep the tube in the fridge once opened and you'll get months out of it)...

Interesting. That's the first time I've heard that. I notice now that the makers of Seam Grip actually recommend storing opened tubes in the freezer. I know urethane glues cure because of air (moisture in the air). Nice to know you can inhibit it effectively with temperature. I find even at room temperature an opened tube lasts months but the normal opening seizes long before the rest of the tube. I just keep poking new holes in the side to get additional glue.

I'll have to try freezer storage.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 9:37 am

Orion wrote:
Aardvark wrote:...Seam Grip (keep the tube in the fridge once opened and you'll get months out of it)...

Nice to know you can inhibit it effectively with temperature.

Fridges and freezers are not only cold, but dry too.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 10:39 am

Warin wrote:Fridges and freezers are not only cold, but dry too.

I thought about that but wasn't certain that the drying effect might not be counteracted by the periodic influx of moist air when the door is opened, particularly in a refrigerator. I suppose a safer bet would be to tightly wrap the tube in a good ziplock bag inside the freezer. Toluene and food probably shouldn't be in the same space anyway.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Fri 26 Jul, 2019 6:01 am

Smearing a dab of vaseline on the tube thread helps seal the tube and also stops the cap from getting stuck.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment