Gaiters for taipans

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gaiters for taipans

Postby trekker76 » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 7:33 pm

Kuhr wrote:PROS:
The gaiters are rugged and durable as all hell . I would not be surprised if these are popular with council workers.

CONS:
The gaiters are heavy, very heavy. They are also very hot, and moisture tends to build up quickly within them - they do not seem breathable at all,

The overall truth is that most of the time I hate wearing them, because of their weight, non breath ability, funnelling of moisture into my boots, and tendency to sag and slip off at the bottom.

Great post, highlighted the parts that show them for what they are -heavy duty PPE, which usually means task specific.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby daintreeboy » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 1:51 pm

So thought I would just provide an initial update on the snake protex gaiters as they arrived today. Upon first inspection it is very obvious of how they are Taipan proof!!!! I reckon they would almost be Great White proof. These things are serious piece of equipment. They are heavy (450g each) feel reasonably comfortable however field testing will show the full testing. Overall I would say this looks like an almost indestructible piece of equipment, only time will tell how they perform in the bush. Will be testing them over the next few weeks in the rainforest.
daintreeboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trekker76 » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 10:36 am

An extra pound per leg is quite a bit, hope they work out. Just putting this in perspective, its a days worth of food rations tied up in a clothes item. Also if you going offtrail you will be 'buttshuffling' and have your have your hands on the ground occasionally as well, face down, crawling under horizontal obstacles. I don't want to sound negative, obviously snakes really bother you. Look forward to updates.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment