Toughest car camping mattress?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Toughest car camping mattress?

Postby sailfish » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:57 pm

I am really happy with my hiking mat but I want to buy 2 single air mattresses for my wife and I to go car camping. In the past, I have used the cloth and rubber ones and added press studs to keep them together. However, these are all long passed and subsequent attempts have all failed miserably. The latest was a double, double high with inbuilt pump and it lost at least half it's air in the very 1st night. I am happy (prefer) to go with 2 single, single high mattresses. Is there anything at all reasonably tough and serviceable available these days? This is really frustrating!
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Toughest car camping mattress?

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 9:31 am

Clark Rubber make a pretty good one. Comes with the stud presses to make a double. Not small or light, but we used them on a Simpson Desert crossing without any issues.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby MikeB62 » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 9:32 am

Doesn't pack very small (70L x 20W x 20H cm). But these are fantastically comfortable. https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-single-camp-mat. Not sure if "toughest" but self inflating means you won't suffer if they get a puncture.
Last edited by MikeB62 on Wed 17 Jul, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB62
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby drakkar » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 4:06 pm

MikeB62 wrote:Doesn't pack very small (70L x 20W x 20H cm). But these are fanatically comfortable. https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-single-camp-mat. Not sure if "toughest" but self inflating means you won't suffer if they get a puncture.

We brought the Sim comfort 10 before the megamat was available... ~8 years ago? has seen at least 3 weeks use each year with a couple of 4+week trips thrown in for good measure. Spending most of it's life in the bag, and some of it's life in a hot car/tent. I've crawled into bed and forgotten to close the valve and it was still comfy.

Velcro's together with others. Would buy again. (unlike their UL synmat)

Only issue was recently the the auto inflator valve dealie has broken.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby potato » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 10:02 am

We use these when 4wd touring in central Au: https://www.snowys.com.au/king-single-4wd-mat

Spent 6 consecutive weeks on them last year without any fuss. The only negative is they are a little bulky, so a compromise if you have a very small car. They are now our go to mattresses, even if it is just an overnight car based camp.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment