Hammock or Tent for Tropics

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hammock or Tent for Tropics

Postby daintreeboy » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 4:26 pm

I have done a bit of research on this and the general consensus is for tropics the hammocks are best.... However most of the time people are talking about the tropical rainforest at low elevation.

I'm looking for something that will be suitable for sleeping at 1000-1300m elevation in the Far north Queensland Tropics on top of the mountain peaks around here. Most of the time will be during winter to avoid wet season torrential rain. I don't have actual data but I have no doubts that temps at these elevations will be well into the single digits even up here in the Daintree at these elevations.

Is the hammock still the better option for this? I noticed that the hennesy hammocks for example become very expensive when you add in a tarp and some sort of insulation and probably a fair bit more expensive than a single man tent. There is not always a flat area however on some of the high peaks here, there is usually always trees to use for a hammock though. Thoughts on this? The other thing is leeches tend to be thick around here will a tent keep all leeches out?
daintreeboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Hammock or Tent for Tropics

Postby ofuros » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 6:47 pm

I usually 'hang' around the 1000m mark in the Sub Tropics... 8)

Single layer hammock with UQ(under quilt) with optional undercover.
UQ provides a wider sweet spot when it comes to warmth. If it gets too hot, loosen.

Double layer hammock with insulated pad(place pad in between layers) & undercover(optional, cuts out any heat stealing breeze from below).
Pad provides a narrower sweet spot, depending on your pad width, if your body hangs over the edge of the pad it'll get cold...
Pads can move around if there isn't a pad sleeve sewn in.

Just a few of the possible combinations...both tent & hammock will work.

Maybe hammocks in front by a couple of toes on rocky, rainforested, treed summits. :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Fri 05 Jul, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 7:20 pm

I just did a very quick and dirty comparison using Tier Gear in Tasmania for the hammock system and Wild Earth for the tent system.

Both came to around $1200 for a system that would happily take you down to 0C and also be comfortable. They could also be used for warmer weather using venting etc.

For the tropics I would lean towards the hammock for two main reasons: firstly you are lifted off the wet ground meaning that your gear will normally be drier. Secondly you are above all of the bugs that love living in the tropics.

Caveats: I spent two minutes on the comparison and I’m sure you could get cheaper if you looked around. This was also done assuming only one person. As soon as you go to two people the tent system becomes cheaper as you only need one tent between the two people.

Disclaimer: I converted to a hammock several years ago and almost never take my tent unless I know there will be no trees for the entire trip (e.g. above the tree line).
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Baggage » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello @daintreeboy and everyone else.

I spent three years hammocking at least once a week all over the Cape York Peninsula. Usually in or around the remote aboriginal communities but also up at higher altitudes.

You can absolutely be very comfortable in the hammock higher up. Depending on weather conditions a rough rule of thumb is that the temperature can drop about 1 degree centigrade for each 100m elevation. So you can get a bit of an idea about the possible temperatures. I think any wise FNQ experienced person will warn you and I about how cold it can get higher up. But if people can hammock camp in Wisconsin in winter you definitely can do it at altitude in the tropics.

I am biased. I regularly hammock at altitude in Tasmania and in Northern Europe so I am fairly used to colder temperatures and wind. (Wind is a big issue.)

I am no expert on all this hammock stuff. People can get very nerdy about it, in fact that's part of the fun.

So you can do it. It takes a little more kit and a little more skill.

I don't think you have to go for an all in one system by Hennessy or Dutchware but if you are going to do that I would encourage you to consider our local cottage manufacturers like TierGear from Tassie. (Hi Simon!)

I have a Hennessy Ultralight Asym, a dutchware Chameleon and a Warbonnet Blackbird. They are all excellent in their own way.

However I would encourage you to consider the cheaper, modular approach; a simple gathered end hammock + a simple bottom entry mosquito/bugnet + an under quilt (3/4 length) + a decent sized tarp.

The hammock and bug nets can be as low as $50 each. The UnderQuilt (UQ) can be as expensive as you like but can be as cheap as the Jarbridge by Arrowhead which I would think would be enough.
( https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/sto ... quilt.html ) which I got for my son on sale for $50 or $75 US. I recommend 3/4 length as I have always been fine shoving a back pad or similar under my heels inside my quilt/bag.

If you are just starting out persist with the sleeping pad until you are sure the UQ is worth the investment.

The tarp has to be enough for proper QLD rain so I am a fan of a HEX tarp for the tropics rather than the tiny little asym tarps. I use the same HammockGear Cuben fibre ($$$!!!) with doors for the tropics or the snow but I use a $50 Go-lite poncho tarp when the weather is fine/dry.

I agree with @ofuros regarding an Under Quilt Protector (UQP) which makes a big difference to the loss of heat to wind, decreases spray/rain getting the Underquilt wet (esp. if you go for a down UQ) and adds a little extra warmth just by creating a n air pocket. I have a water proof and a non-waterproof option. I don't like the waterproof one so much as it tends to capture condensation. (You can get very obsessive about UQP's alone if that's your thing.) My fave UQP is large and develops my whole hammock and was made by 2QZQ. It is a very simple piece of kit and possibly the ideal place to start making your own gear, maybe even recycling old lightweight fabric from a damaged piece of equipment.

I manage to get the tarp, the hammock, the bug-net and the UQP into a set of "Snake-skins_. I use whoopee slings and when I have the hammock up I usually connect the tarp to a continuous ridge line.

The benefits of going modular is the cost, the flexibility, the ease of repair, the fact that if one bit gets badly damaged you only have to replace that bit.

So it can be "fiddley" but I usually camp alone so it is time that I do have.

I also agree with @ChrisJHC about being off the ground.

One night near Aurukun I slept in a genuine Cape York down pour. I was dry in my hammock but during the night I wanted to get out of the hammock for a call of nature. I could not see one square inch of earth. The ground was nothing but insects and spiders and scorpions with all their eyes reflecting my torchlight. My shoes were thankfully hanging from my hammock suspension. It was Indiana Jones. The stuff of nightmares. They had all come out as the water levels rose in the nearby creeks. I kept my feet off the ground and went back to sleep. I don't know what sort of tent would have saved me.

Leeches? They are seriously persistent little f***ers and will possibly be on you before you get into the shelter anyway.

Nice to "meet" some Hammock campers here in Australia.
Less Baggage (physical or metaphysical.)

Solo Hammocking, Hammocking with my kids and Hammocking in silly places.
Baggage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby daintreeboy » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks all for the replies Especually baggage for the very detailed reply. Lots to think about
daintreeboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 11:45 pm

I think you've convinced yourself with the acknowledgment that "There is not always a flat area however on some of the high peaks here, there is usually always trees to use for a hammock though."

I'm only new to hammocking, but there is a wonderful freedom in being 'off ground' and hanging by a tree - and if you among trees - more beautiful for you!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baggage » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 4:18 pm

daintreeboy wrote:Thanks all for the replies Especually baggage for the very detailed reply. Lots to think about

You are most welcome.
Glad to be of help.
Less Baggage (physical or metaphysical.)

Solo Hammocking, Hammocking with my kids and Hammocking in silly places.
Baggage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby trekker76 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 7:48 pm

Yep hammocks work in rainforests, I'm from the slightly heavier forest type south of the Daintree. I don't use one myself as I like to move between open ground and forests. I find a single cheapo mozzie dome with half decent floor and tarp works for me- any tent inner or dome like this should keep both bugs and leeches out. Not sure if you have done a lot of hiking here yet, but it can be an idea to secure your food in something relatively 'smell proof' and even tie it from a branch away from where you sleep. White tailed rats can chew through packs and tents after food in the night.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby daintreeboy » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:50 am

Trekker thanks man, yup Ive heard all about the rats up on Pieter botte chewing through tents. Id imagine its the same for all the high peaks around the area?
daintreeboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nq111 » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 7:12 pm

A tent is fine for the higher altitudes in FNQ.

But I'd still go a hammock: 1. because it is much easier to find a campsite within the rainforest. 2. because it will give you the versatility for warmer / lower altitude nights that the tent will be too hot. 3. Gets you up off the forest floor which is just nicer if it gets wet.

Easy to stay warm in a hammock but yeah, some investment in different gear than you can use on the ground. Be sure to get a double layer bottom as the mozzies can savage you through a single layer on a warm evening. Also, a largish fly to be able to work under if the rain is coming down is worthwhile luxury.

For the rats, I used to have a light, stainless mesh bag to put all my food and scraps in. A light wire (fishing trace wire) and mini-carabiner and I would loop it around a tree well away from camp (because the critters would keep me up at night trying to get into the thing otherwise!) and all was safe. The rats would drag it in circles around the tree all night but never could get in. Unfortunately, I forgot it in the Iron Range a couple of years ago and haven't found a replacement.

I prefer a tent down south which is much about being able to hole up out of the wind/rain/snow and cook and change clothes etc. They are warmer to live in too.
nq111

Return to Equipment