Waterproof jacket recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Waterproof jacket recommendations

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi All, apologies if this is a recurring question, I've been off-site for quite a while.

Looking for recommendations for a good quality shell that can cope with a good few hrs in soaking rain. I prefer to layer underneath, so no additional padding/insulation required. Only mid-length (mid-bum) required, not long thigh length. Budget isn't top-end but wanting to avoid the low end stuff that just wont cut it.

Thanks in anticipation
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Waterproof jacket recommendations

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 10:28 am

Columbia outdry extreme based jacket.

Won't/can't wet out.

As with all water proof 'breathable' jackets you will sweat in this when going up hills or moving quickly. So layer management is key to avoid becoming damp/wet from the inside
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Waterproof jacket recommendations

Postby ggorgeman » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks wildwanderer….. I'll check out the Columbia. Appreciate your response... cheers
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment