Macpac Prothermal Hoody query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac Prothermal Hoody query

Postby Lamont » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi ho anybody have both this -https://www.macpac.com.au/mens/base-layers/prothermals/macpac-prothermal-hooded-top---mens/115321-MEDBL-L.html (Non referral/non affiliated link) and the Patagonia Cap Thermalweight Hoody? Or even used both?
It seems like the Macpac is slightly 'heavier' so I am wondering if it is noticeably warmer?
Same Polartec Power Grid and mix of Poly and elastane
Wondering if;
-Bigger 'blocks',
-gaps narrower in the grid -a la Melanzana micro grid?
I have the Patagonia CTH for reference at 225 g in L the Mac seems to be 260ish.

Ta G
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Mac Prothermal Hoody query

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 4:45 pm

Good question.
No experience with either but I do have a Thermal weight set of long-johns and crew neck top and the Macpac does seem to use a smaller and deeper pile grid. So perhaps subjectively warmer but less able to pass sweat?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Lamont!

I own the Macpac prothermal hoody and have used it several times over the past few months. I like it. I also own the previous version which is pretty much the same. The pants are also terrific.

The grids are small and the face fabric is thin. The hood is warm as it is covered inside and out with the face fabric - no exposed grids.

The zip down the front is nice and long to help vent and the front zip pocket is placed in such a way it doesn’t interfere with my pack straps. I can fit my iPhone X in there easily.

I’m somewhat comfortable down to 0 in it while moving. As soon as there is a wind I need to put my shell on. With the shell on I can get a few more degrees out of it.

I have the old version in a small if you want it.

Unfortunately I can’t compare it with the Patagonia thermals.

Here is my the grid with my index finger as a reference.

And I know what you are thinking, the answer is no, I’m not a hand model.

Cheers
Attachments
2AE85F2B-C9AA-4C23-A997-1B67F45DD7EF.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 5:18 pm

SZapruda you are a champ-pic and all!
Ta mate!
It looks very much like the Pata CTWH I have, but the face fabric looks a tad heavier, may be a denser weave (? less see through) from your pic.
Thanks kindly for the offer of the small but I fear I would have to drop 15 kgs!
Down to 0 Active with what under or alone-that might give me the best idea.
Using mine recently down to about 2-3 Active-little or no wind -but with a Pata Cap LW Tshirt under.
Yes,the hood sounds the same also face fabric on skin, but double layer on the Pata, is that the same?
Will you forgive me if I mention Ray MacKigney?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 5:34 pm

Lamont wrote:SZapruda you are a champ-pic and all!
Ta mate!
It looks very much like the Pata CTWH I have, but the face fabric looks a tad heavier, may be a denser weave (? less see through) from your pic.
Thanks kindly for the offer of the small but I fear I would have to drop 15 kgs!
Down to 0 Active with what under or alone-that might give me the best idea.
Using mine recently down to about 2-3 Active-little or no wind -but with a Pata Cap LW Tshirt under.
Yes,the hood sounds the same also face fabric on skin, but double layer on the Pata, is that the same?
Will you forgive me if I mention Ray MacKigney?

No worries.

I wore a medium weight adidas running tee underneath it this weekend for example. I have never worn it next to the skin. The adidas tee is thicker than a LW cap shirt but not by much.

The fabric is see through when held up to the light. I definitely wouldn’t call it thick.

The grids are on the inside. Face fabric outside.

Haha, I might have to start my annual watch of the greatest comedy of all time. Poor Ray... he loved himself too much.
Attachments
AAB6971E-E9A9-4741-B3BC-4CF6FD3B889A.jpeg
780F1016-1D4A-40B2-A210-840847246281.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 6:02 pm

I tried to take a photo but failed.
Thanks for the new picture-it pretty much confirms the similarity-but some new leggings might definitely be the go!
The pic you have looks exactly the same as mine when held up to the light.
Did you not say the hood was face fabric out and in? Mine is the same but it is due to it being double layered (hood and neck area).
Grids are inwards on everywhere but the neck and hood.
One of my most favourite episodes.
I have worn it on the skin a couple of times with my rain coat-really worked a charm.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 6:06 pm

Lamont wrote:I tried to take a photo but failed.
Thanks for the new picture-it pretty much confirms the similarity-but some new leggings might definitely be the go!
The pic you have looks exactly the same as mine when held up to the light.
Did you not say the hood was face fabric out and in? Mine is the same but it is due to it being double layered (hood and neck area).
Grids are inwards on everywhere but the neck and hood.
One of my most favourite episodes.
I have worn it on the skin a couple of times with my rain coat-really worked a charm.

Sorry. Confused. Yes the good is definitely covered in the face fabric inside and out.

A+ for the leggings!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 6:49 pm

Ta.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 3:16 am

I have the prothermal as well - I echo Zapruda's comments - a very useful light midlayer or very warm baselayer. Dries fast and layers well.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Macpac Prothermal Hoody query

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 3:48 pm

Took my Pata CTWHoody (and scales-just joking but I was sorely tempted :lol:) 25 ks into Macpac (nothing like being chauffeured by your daughter) and learned-
Macpac Prothermal Hoody vs Patagonia Capilene Thermalweight Hoody-
they are basically the same but the grid fleece blocks are discernabley smaller on the Mac by a wee bit and seems to be the same (identical to the eye held up to the light) weight face fabric. Stitching the same on both. Overall weight felt the same and both rolled up to the same size.
Forgot to add the black version was slightly smaller than the blue in the shop! Believe it or not. Had to size up as I wanted the black.
So slight extra warmth retention on the Patagonia I would say Moondog- so no purchase, too similar to the PCTWH, but it is a keen price at the moment-If you are thinking of it -I say it's maybe time to channel Izzy Mandelbaum and it's Go Time!
Sale ends Monday so I was told-it's not on the website.
So got the Prothermal leggings instead! Whacko!
Hoping to be good -likely to be carried end of day extra warmth or very cold walking.
New was the Mac Nitro Hoody-yes S finally picked one up-beautiful and Ta boyo.
Have a 20k walk on in the am tomorrow and 25ks on Friday am and will bust it out.
Also tempted by the Hightail rain pants but basically the same again as some Montanes (both the 140 grams odd) that I already have-but they looked very good.
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 3:55 pm

Lamont wrote:New was the Mac Nitro Hoody-yes S finally picked one up-beautiful and Ta boyo.

I'm glad you got the Nitro hoody! It is honestly one of the best mid layers I have ever had. I bought 2!

Lamont wrote:Also tempted by the Hightail rain pants but basically the same again as some Montanes (both the 140 grams odd) that I have-but they looked very good.

I bought the Hightail rain pants and they unsurprisingly shredded over a 3 day trip late last year... damn Hakea! If you do even a tiny bit of off track walking they aren't worth it.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 4:06 pm

"I bought the Hightail rain pants and they unsurprisingly shredded over a 3 day trip late last year... damn Hakea! If you do even a tiny bit of off track walking they aren't worth it." That's noted. Hakea-Bugger!
When you first mentioned the Nitro it was $89! I was too slow.
I have the Montane Minimus that 'seem' ok so far...no Hakea encountered yet tho'.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 5:00 pm

Zapruda wrote:
Lamont wrote:New was the Mac Nitro Hoody-yes S finally picked one up-beautiful and Ta boyo.

I'm glad you got the Nitro hoody! It is honestly one of the best mid layers I have ever had. I bought 2!
Zapruda said. I'm pretty gormless, don't know how to do the double triple quote thing!

Macpac Nitro-Held just enough warmth when zipping along with a Patagonia LW tshirt under on a 7 degree morn with 10-15 knots breeze coming straight off the ocean.
Some weird alchemy going on with this hoody. Carried some warmer stuff just in case -not required until I stopped for a coffee.
Bonza.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment