Long johns query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Long johns query

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:34 pm

So I now need new base layers for winter, I just ripped the whole crutch out my old old set. Toms had emailed be a $20- voucher this week and when I looked they had Patagonia midweights in my size on clearance but I had to spend $80- to get the voucher deal on free shipping. So I ordered a pair of thermal weight as well.
What interests me is that the mid-weight are heavier than the thermal weight, but my intention is to use the thermal weight as my fleece substitute as the old 100 weight fleece have stretched so much I can't wear them. I have layered my Cap4 over my Patagonia ultra lite top and that works but has anybody here used this system on their legs?
This would be for when I am not wearing the PowerStretch loose tights from a couple of seasons back and under a pair of light wind resistant pants
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Long johns query

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 5:28 pm

On a vaguely related topic, I’ve become a big fan of the Uniqlo Heat Tech long johns as a base layer.
Very warm and comfortable for the weight and the price is very competitive.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 5:46 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:On a vaguely related topic, I’ve become a big fan of the Uniqlo Heat Tech long johns as a base layer.
Very warm and comfortable for the weight and the price is very competitive.

I agree but when they get wet they take somewhat longer to dry, so I went with that dry faster option
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 8:36 am

Well layering long bottoms won't work for me as well as layering tops, but this is probably due as much to the different cuts of the patterns
I really like these new "Thermal" weight winter long johns compared to my old Expedition weight. Lighter and they definitely feel drier. I doubt they will last as long as my old ones but then again I doubt I'll live for another 20 years either
I'm only sending the midweight pair back because Patagonia had changed to cut to a low rise and they sit too low on my hips to be comfortable with the hip belt or the sled harness
For me these seem to perform better when slightly looser on the body and not skin tight
If anybody needs new winter underwear and are like me on the bigger side Toms Outdoors have a couple of pair left [ XL & XXL] for $80-
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:23 am

Hey MD, the Macpac Prothermal ones I bought (from the other thread below) have a high hip (on my pair anyway) and are basically the same as the Patagonia thermalweight.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29988 -verified by my own beady little eyes therein.
70 spondoolicks. Rays WP.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 12:28 pm

Same price as Toms clearance then but except for a new emergency half bag or similar I am shopped out for the next decade
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 1:46 pm

Well I bought a pair and I have been wearing them for the last week or so to get used to them
So much lighter than the Powerstretch ones and while lighter they feel warmer Very happy with them
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment