No peg tarp set ups

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

No peg tarp set ups

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm trying to use a trap setup a bit more in recent times. I particularly like the open air feeling. I've used just a cheap hoochie up to now and have experimented with a few things so far.
I've just bought a proper lightweight 3x3 tarp as I want to avoid super low setups and have a few more pitching options in not so dry weather. So far I've had some interesting experiences in the windy wet. Lol.
If I know the weather is going to be really bad I'll probably take my tent. But I want to be able to make do with the tarp in most conditions 'comfortably'.
Setting up a storm pitch over dirt is pretty straightforward.
My dilemma is the majority of the time I set up camp, it's usually rock plateaus. Where you cannot peg the edges of your tent obviously into the ground.
There's usually shrubs you can tie off too but it's usually difficult to keep the edges down especially when the flat part of the rock is more to the centre of the clearing.
Rocks could be used but rocks large enough to hold a tarp down in higher winds are not always readily available and I don't want to be always disturbing the natural environment.
So far I'm thinking to try running a line tight along the ground at each end with 2 loops and a couple small UL carabiners to clip in the tarp corners. Then a pole or stick at either end to make a basic A frame.
Has anyone had any success setting up on similar ground for exciting weather? Or have any better ideas?
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: No peg tarp set ups

Postby Franco » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 12:33 pm

Maybe I am not visualising what you propose correctly but as well as the guying out the apex at both ends you still need to peg down or guyout the 4 corners.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 1:01 pm

I suspect he is thinking of using trees etc as 4 strong anchors for the two taunt lines. Otherwise wont be able to get it taunt enough. Would need to really crank and keep the anchor point as low to the ground as possible. but the chances of four perfectly postioned trees? If it did work maybe another line between the two ropes and traveling underneath your sleeping mat to further hold the mid point of the tarp sides down? might be a tad uncomfortable if the wind is trying to lift the tarp though..

is this what you mean huntsman?

tarp.png
tarp.png (45.06 KiB) Viewed 7870 times

That setup seems very complicated though.. for the tarp sides I would likly use loops connected to laid flat tent pegs. then pile heavy rocks on top of the tent peg. If cant get pegs in the ground or their is no rocks or heavy branches then its fairly limited what you can do in wild weather.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes wildwanderer that's what I had in mind. Impressive sketch! If I use a dyneema cord pulled tight with a truckers hitch i imagine it should stay reasonably in place as there shouldn't be any stretch or give in the line.
Then i could secure the ridgeline and other anchor points to additional scrub to keep it taunt and a bit more secure.
Even if the trees aren't perfectly in place with some additional lines i think it could be doable.
Basically any setup would need to be tied off to shrub or trees as 20mm or so of moss usually can't hold a peg.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes it's a bit complicated but I'm not planning to only go hiking when it's windy and raining.
This would not be the everyday setup. But if I can get keep the tent out of my pack there is an extra kilo of wine and cheese I can bring [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 1:58 pm

a full set of Titanium skewers isn't all that heavy, my set of 8 mass 52 grams, although I do prefer the larger Tri-web type in Aluminium at 11 grams each
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 3:49 pm

Moondog55 wrote:a full set of Titanium skewers isn't all that heavy, my set of 8 mass 52 grams, although I do prefer the larger Tri-web type in Aluminium at 11 grams each
?
I've got titanium stakes... Problem is they will not enter into solid rock...
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 4:20 pm

Not hammering hard enough?
The rocky areas I am used to are in the Grampians where there are usually small cracks available
I have thought that there is a need for small Titanium knifeblade pitons but then you really do have to carry a hammer which sort of defeats the purpose of LW / UL stuff
Little bags full of rocks as mentioned in other posts?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 9:00 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Yes wildwanderer that's what I had in mind. Impressive sketch! If I use a dyneema cord pulled tight with a truckers hitch i imagine it should stay reasonably in place as there shouldn't be any stretch or give in the line.
Then i could secure the ridgeline and other anchor points to additional scrub to keep it taunt and a bit more secure.
Even if the trees aren't perfectly in place with some additional lines i think it could be doable.
Basically any setup would need to be tied off to shrub or trees as 20mm or so of moss usually can't hold a peg.

I can't see why that would be simpler than just guying out the 4 corners to thos trees.
Besides, if those 4 trees happen not to be parallel to each other as in the illustration ,that idea will not work anyway unless a lot of fiddling with extra cordage is not involved.
try it at home and you will see why.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 11:10 pm

Franco wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:Yes wildwanderer that's what I had in mind. Impressive sketch! If I use a dyneema cord pulled tight with a truckers hitch i imagine it should stay reasonably in place as there shouldn't be any stretch or give in the line.

I can't see why that would be simpler than just guying out the 4 corners to thos trees.
Besides, if those 4 trees happen not to be parallel to each other as in the illustration ,that idea will not work anyway unless a lot of fiddling with extra cordage is not involved.
try it at home and you will see why.

If you use a guy line per corner then there is nothing to hold the tarp down and the sides will rise somewhat. Not great in poor weather.
Having a taunt line run along the ground should hold the edges down. The setup won't always be that pretty but no ones going to be measuring it up with a protractor and spirit level.
It's not a perfect setup and that's why I'm curious if anyone has a better idea.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 11:20 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Not hammering hard enough?
The rocky areas I am used to are in the Grampians where there are usually small cracks available
I have thought that there is a need for small Titanium knifeblade pitons but then you really do have to carry a hammer which sort of defeats the purpose of LW / UL stuff
Little bags full of rocks as mentioned in other posts?
lol Right. It's more this sort of rock I've got to deal with. I wish i could just wack in some nails. But it's way too hard. Image
Huntsman247

Postby Rileyr » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 2:32 am

Big fallen logs moved into position to tie out to?

A bivvy tied up to a shrub or tree to keep it off your face might be another option?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 4:52 am

I've seen someone using the method of wildwanderer's picture while camped on top of Ti Willa Plateau, and it seemed to work well, giving a place to anchor all the intermediate tieouts. The parallel "mainlines" were just tied around the bases of some unsuspecting shrubs.

I like the "big rock little rock" method as in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THlyW-CwEq8
but I realise that there are places where there is a rock plateau but no loose rocks.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 4:35 pm

One way is the "dead man anchor":
Tie the guy rope to a loose stick or stone.
Place the stick/stone on the ground and then anchor it with a bigger stone on top (lie the stick at 90 degrees to the guy rope to get the best traction).

Re the "four perfectly placed trees" - yes, this is unusual, however it's surprising how often you can find one or two of your tie-out points that you can make work and then use either pegs or the dead man anchor for the rest.
This is unlikely to give you a perfect pitch, but it is usually good enough.
ChrisJHC

Return to Equipment