Spray waterproofing for clothes?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Spray waterproofing for clothes?

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi fellow forum folk. I am wondering if anyone has experience/recommendations with spray waterproofing products, scotchguard or the like, and specifically on clothes. I'm not talking about making something super water resistant (I have raingear for that), but something you could spray on a light jacket say to make it drizzle proof, so you don't automatically have to reach for the rain gear. Would prefer to hear any experience/problems/shortcomings before investing $12.50
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Spray waterproofing for clothes?

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 4:19 pm

In my experience, they don't really work great, can change the way the surface finish looks, only last a short time, and are pretty nasty from an environmental standpoint. If I was going to try something, I'd go with a nikwax solarproof, soft-shellproof, or Granger's xtreme repel. I've yet to make a scotchguard product do anything super useful. Maybe as a stain preventer, but little else.
Just don't have super high hopes, and see what happens I guess.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks for that. The nikwax products might be a goer. I didn't consider the environmental aspect with the sprays so that's a valid concern. Maybe its better to bite the bullet and invest a new softshell.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 4:05 pm

Is it the biggest deal? Not really, but we all have an impact, and its worth knowing, so that you can make those choices for yourself. Anaconda carried graingers, I think Paddy carries Nikwax, not sure.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment