Knives, do you use one? What for?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Knives, do you use one? What for?

Postby TentPeg » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 6:50 pm

Box cutter 9.5gms. Does everything.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby stuie88 » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 8:11 pm

Because I fish and hunt I have tried a lot of different knives looking for a good all rounder, I have a really nice big one that my wife bought me from toledo that I use if we are likely to be in the scrub with something angry, and I still have a folder for work and a nice folder that was a gift, but in the end a boning knife was all I used until I found Mora knives. I just use a Mora companion for everything now, cheap, light, sharp, easy to clean, not too big but big enough. I prefer the stainless, the carbon stays sharper a maybe bit longer but they have to be looked after a bit better. I throw one in my pack now for bushwalking, hunting or fishing, and keep them in the 4wd. Cuts bait, spikes yabbies, guts fish, cleans, opens food, cuts salami, cuts fishing line, butters bread, steak knife etc etc. I like a fixed blade, feels a bit safer if its wet than my folders, and that knife feels solid without being too big or heavy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
stuie88
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moza » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm a knifemaker myself, and a fan of reasonable sized fixed blade full tang knives.
No mechanism to break and even if the scales come off you can grip the tang. 1080 carbon steel holds an edge brilliantly and a differential temper provides great blade durability.
I use a blade for everything, and often appreciate a larger one when dealing with rabbits or fish.

I'm currently in the process of designing a 'UL' 85mm (blade) knife/sheath combo which I'll try and get to around 50g with some fancy design tricks and materials.
Goal is an inverted sheath setup clipped to one's pack harness across the chest.

I'll report back once I've made a first prototype!
Moza
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby trekker76 » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 1:04 am

I use the blade on my leathermans mostly, but also carry a becker camp 5 magnum if camping, intending to do some hunting or going off trail. Also handy for scraping off leeches :) Not my review btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTT3Qj1Emc
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 7:43 am

Canadian man during grizzly bear attack
BBC News - Pocket knife saves Canadian man during grizzly bear attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49186379
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 9:06 pm

Smallest Victorinox fruit knife. Extremely sharp, very light. Not suitable for preppers, but I am not one.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment