Reflective tape covering closed cell foam mat

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Reflective tape covering closed cell foam mat

Postby JCB81 » Sat 18 May, 2019 6:23 pm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ametalin-72 ... e_p0029077

Has anyone had any luck covering their closed cell foam mat both sides with this type of tape to boost the R-value?
Does it allow the mat to still be rolled up easily enough?
Does it adhere to the foam well?
Does it make the mat slippery?

Cheers

James
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Reflective tape covering closed cell foam mat

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 18 May, 2019 6:41 pm

I have not, but where I work we have a large number of the newer oztrail 10mm mats that have the one foil side. From what I've seen, though I have not done major tracking, it seems like they are a little more durable than the uncovered ones. I don't know if they provide any more thermal value than the old style. It does seem thought that if there is a hole in the foam, it does take longer for that area to dry out than the uncovered ones.

It seems to me that the foil prevents the small edge tears that quickly grow. I don't know that reflective materials work well in any contact application, so I don't think the foil helps with temp, but I'm not an engineer, maybe it does.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Rileyr » Sun 19 May, 2019 7:55 am

Might be better off with one of these cut down and used in conjunction with current mat?
I cut one down to a full length single and i think it weighed 65g from memory. Extremely heat reflective. To the point of if you put your hand on it you can feel the warmth almost instantlyImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sun 19 May, 2019 11:46 am

I wouldn't bother. For cold conditions I have started to use an underlay cut to the size of my tent floor like that shown above in Rileyr's post. I usually use it inside the tent but can use it under the floor a a floor protector if the ground is particularly pointy.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 19 May, 2019 12:23 pm

What Mark says
Floor underlay is readily recoverable from skips around new buildings
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 19 May, 2019 4:13 pm

Do you think a mat like the one posted (the windscreen looking foil one) would potentially mean a 'summer' sleep pad could be used in Winter too? I realise that is a vague question at best, but this thread made me curious.

My variables are: Big Agnes Air Core Ultra Uninsulated, woman sleeper, warm AF bag, temps down to freezing. I only ask as I bought the BA mat onsale for my young daughter to use as it was cheap and cheerful. No way did I think it would be comfortable for myself as I love a wide mat, have a twingey back and am a self-professed princess when it comes to sleep mats. I slept on it after night duty one day after it arrived and then used it when we were car camping for three nights over Easter and I really love it better than my regular mat. There is no R value on it and it is uninsulated. Everything I have read rubbishes these mats for how cold they sleep. Considered getting the insulated version as it is on sale too, but I know for a fact that the uninsulated one I have is super quiet to sleep on and have read that even the insulated ones sleeps cold, my daughter will seldom use the uninsulated one we already have, so it seems like a waste of funds.

For the record, I had my summer bag (s2s spark sp1 comfort rated to 12 degrees) with the mat over Easter, with overnight temps around the 8-11C range. I was comfy/warm enough with my beanie on.

Just curious really, as I said a vague question with too many variables, thanks for bearing with my ponderings.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 19 May, 2019 4:34 pm

No airspace, nothing much in the way of dead air space for the IR radiation to reflect from. That double bubble wrap works with the reflective coating because it has the airspace built into the bubbles and the space is a reasonable gap but on the basis of every little bit helping and them turning up at Garage sales and Op-Shops all the time it might be worthwhile experimenting and making your own decision. At least with CCF pads from a know supplier you have an actual R-value to work with
You can try the experiment with RFL layer on top and on the bottom
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rileyr » Mon 20 May, 2019 2:12 pm

I have slept on the alfoil looking stuff a few times in temps under 10deg with a cheap ebay quilt (rated to 8deg ish i think) and have felt warm underneath me and cold ontop of me. Very subjective and variable, but i reckon that stuff would work well will other mats to boost warmth.

If it wasnt so uncomfortable i would only use that stuff.

This is my current setup: 1/2 zlite for torso, 1/2 alfoil stuff. I think 250g odd combined

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 23 May, 2019 5:02 pm

Last winter I walked in the Blue Mountains when it got down to - 5 overnight. Had a space blanket (the durable kind) on the floor of the tent, a blue foam mat, -1 (comfort) sleeping bag and another space blanket on top. By morning the top space blanket had mysteriously wrapped itself around my hiking companion. Even so, I slept pretty well so I think foil under a mat must do some good.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 23 May, 2019 10:43 pm

I got the same eBay mat as rileyr. Approx 100 grams and doesn't take up a whole lot of space in your pack.

Slept on snow with a Neo Xlite and it was alright just. Might try it on top of the mat next time instead of under the mat. That might work better

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JCB81 » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up getting the reflective silver picnic mat and testing it on a night with freezing temps. I folded it in half then placed it between my air mat and CCF mat. Then half way through the night I moved it to be on top of my air mat which I found to be more effective at radiating heat from my back being closer to my back.

The durability of the mat I don’t think will be great but I guess I only camp during freezing temps a hand full of nights and for the $15 I paid on eBay I can’t complain.
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Rileyr » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 1:11 pm

Good to hear it was somewhat useful. I cut mine in half and used some tape to make sure the sewn edges dont unravel. So that made 2 single sized mats.

I have found that bare gravel will put holes in it easy but any sort of tent base should, and has for me, protect against that.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment