Hydration, Which Bite Valve>

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hydration, Which Bite Valve>

Postby sailfish » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi, I bought a Sawyer 2 bag system. They don't supply a bite valve, leaving the customer to sort that out to their own preference. I have never been able to buy a bite valve locally. I did swap one off my High Sierra bladder to the Sawyer. Problem is, this still leaves me with a dead bladder and I'd like to fix that by buying a new valve complete with spigot. Can anyone recommend a good one that doesn't leak and where I can buy please.

Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hydration, Which Bite Valve>

Postby ofuros » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 5:20 pm

Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby slparker » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 4:49 pm

sailfish wrote:Hi, I bought a Sawyer 2 bag system. They don't supply a bite valve, leaving the customer to sort that out to their own preference. I have never been able to buy a bite valve locally. I did swap one off my High Sierra bladder to the Sawyer. Problem is, this still leaves me with a dead bladder and I'd like to fix that by buying a new valve complete with spigot. Can anyone recommend a good one that doesn't leak and where I can buy please.

Ken

Get one with an on/off valve and a cover. I lost a litre of water many years ago with my pack sitting on my bite valve.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sailfish » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 6:16 pm

Well, I ordered a Camelbak Crux valve as I read a reviewer who really liked this valve over others. Not much to go on, wonder if I'll agree. No it isn't covered but then my High Sierra one isn't and it hasn't been an issue, push/pull valve is a bit slow is all. Suspect the rotating valves may be a bit faster. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

PS. There are loads of cheap valves from China, don't know if I trust the their plastics to be non toxic really.
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Turfa » Sun 28 Apr, 2019 6:19 am

I have always been a fan of the Platypus bite valve. It is simple and works well when combined with the Platypus shutoff valve to prevent leaking or accidental activation of the bite valve

http://www.bogong.com.au/gear/drink/acc ... valve.html

http://www.bogong.com.au/gear/drink/acc ... valve.html
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ofuros » Sun 28 Apr, 2019 7:19 am

In the past, I've had various bite valves leak while bouncing around on my chest, the built in twist or lever stop valve that most have these days, fixes that problem...just remember to close it or as slparker say when you unshoulder you pack & lean it against something the mouthpiece can get squashed & silently leak all your precious water.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment