Tips for fixing holes in pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tips for fixing holes in pack

Postby Drew » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 11:14 am

A while ago I posted about my satisfaction with Osprey's "Almighty Guarantee". After my new (second hand) Exos 58 was savagely attacked by a native rat (or a plague of them?) they sent me a brand new replacement. Surprisingly, they didn't make me return the old one.

I was quoted about $70 to repair it but didn't really want to pay as it will rarely get used but it seems silly not to fix it. Anyway, I'm not sure how to patch the holes. Some sort of heat activated patches I imagine would work, but I thought I'd ask the brains trust for suggestions before I muck it up. I've patched the smallest one with tenacious tape on both sides but the rest are too big for that.

Ideas? Product suggestions?

Thanks.

20190319_115429-756x1008.jpg

20190319_115436-756x1008.jpg

20190319_115446-756x1008.jpg
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Tips for fixing holes in pack

Postby ribuck » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 7:17 pm

What about a fabric patch on the inside, attached with superglue?
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 6:43 am

Past that certain size I think the only option is disassembly, patch and resew if using a machine.
Hand stitching from both sides works for a rough job followed by lots of silicon
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 7:11 am

Flexible adhesive, patch both sides & sew.
Seam seal, patch, edges, thread holes if your concerned about weather ingress.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wander » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 1:06 pm

We have successfully repaired holes that size with seam grip. Back out the hole with masking tape, fill hole and all edges (dibble into the fabric) with seam grip. Be fairly generous as the best job is done in one hit. Maybe do a practice repair on a rag to start with. The repairs have lasted a long time in our kit.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby Drew » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The first couple of pictures show the lid of the pack. There are two separate layers of fabric there which makes it a little trickier. I think though that some sort of fabric patch on both sides sounds like the best option. I'd been thinking of heat activated ones but maybe hand stitching and then silicon is the go.

We have successfully repaired holes that size with seam grip. Back out the hole with masking tape, fill hole and all edges (dibble into the fabric) with seam grip. Be fairly generous as the best job is done in one hit. Maybe do a practice repair on a rag to start with. The repairs have lasted a long time in our kit.

Wander your technique sounds interesting too. Can you clarify for me? Do you mean putting tape across the hole on the inside, then putting the seam grip onto the tape and edges? Do you do the other side of the tape, or remove tape once the seam grip is dry?

Flexible adhesive, patch both sides & sew.
Seam seal, patch, edges, thread holes if your concerned about weather ingress.

ofuros do you have a particular sort of patch in mind? Weather ingress not an issue as the pack material isn't waterproof anyway.
Drew

Postby ofuros » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 1:44 pm

Something like these...

https://www.gearaid.com/products/seam-g ... repair-kit

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... are-parts/

https://www.fixmykite.com.au/repair-kits.html

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... _patch_kit

...sewing is probably overkill, just adhesive will be good enough.
Spotlight has suitable material in all types & thicknesses.
...or cut up a old kiddies school backpack for patches...
Outdoor shops for seam grip...or online.
Similar adhesives at Bunning's.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 9:52 am

Not the most attractive job but it should do the trick. I used some heat activated cotton patches that we had in the sewing basket. Very tricky to get the iron on to them and the adhesive didn't seem very strong, so I did some dodgy sewing around the edges, then seam grip over the top.
20190410_093756-756x1008.jpg

20190410_093808-756x1008.jpg
Drew

Return to Equipment