Soles off again

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Soles off again

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 9:20 am

And hopefully Walkalong can help me with this one. I was walking up Flinders Peak at the You Yangs with a decent pack weight and a 6YO in tow when the sole just fell off. I cannot remember when these soles were replaced or who did it but it was at least 12 years ago.
These are my LW summer boots and as I mainly walk in winter and on snow they haven't actually had a lot of mileage. I do remember doing a temporary fix a few years ago with co-polymer adhesive when the toes developed a gap. If this had happened out bush I would have used Supaglue to get back home but I know that Supaglue isn't all that flexible
Attachments
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG (128.7 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG (145.5 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG (138.56 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Soles off again

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 10:59 am

R M Williams (the bootmaker) in Latrobe Tce opposite Kardinia Park does a great job of regluing wading boots for us at a very reasonable price. You can't afford to be in a hurry though as it may take him a while.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 11:54 am

I'll be that way tomorrow so I'll drop in and talk to them.
I need new boots as the NOS Scarpa are not all that comfortable and I can't find anybody who can stretch the hard rubber rand in the right spot
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 3:35 pm

La Sportiva in ITaly said they would be happy to rebuild them for me but warn that the cost of postage each way is prohibitive and would cost about the same as 50% of new boots. Waiting now for Intertrek to reply as Walkalong are not answering my emails and the phone is either busy or not being picked up when I call them. I am willing to try regluing myself with Selleys Shoe Glue but I don't have a last here the right size [ actually the lasts are all at the family home; Dad was a bootmaker in his younger days but his biggest last is about a 40] also I'd need to buy a good rubber mallet too
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 6:53 pm

I’d use shoe goo - it’s meant to stick to anything - obviously clean well with acetone or whatever first. Leffler leather in Kensington sell it if you can’t find it elsewhere. I couldn’t find it in Bunnings.

What do you need a last for? The shape of the boot is all there - it only needs the sole reattaching. Unless you’re planning on temporarily nailing the soles in place whilst the glue dries, in which case maybe just cut some 19mm pine to the approximate shape of an insole.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 7:58 pm

I'd be using contact, the Selleys is a contact adhesive It needs impact pressure to make sure of 100% contact between sole and shoe, I learnt a few things from Dad, less than I should have tho I guess.
Still I'll wait for a while to see what Intertrek say
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cajun » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 9:03 am

I have used shoe goo on a few different shoes. It has always been successful with the caveat that I have never done a full sole on a hiking boot!
It was also excellent as a "toe" on the bottoms of cricket bats.
Last edited by cajun on Thu 28 Mar, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:35 am

I have used ShoeGoo a few times in the past when my climbing shoes wore a hole in them but I think in this case I'll take my Dads advice and use a contact adhesive.
At the least it is worth the experiment. I just got the estimate for a professional resole, it's $115 plus postage each way.
I've had 20+ years from these boots, that works out to be about $22- a year
A tube of Selleys Shoe Repair Fix&Go is $8- at Safeway and I'll need 2 tubes as the midsoles also need to be reglued and the tacks beaten down again, another reason why I hope Mum hasn't chucked out Dads tools, you really need a repair last to do this stuff
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 3:48 pm

Well I couldn't find a last in the old shed so I just used hand pressure. If it doesn't work it was $14- for two tubes of contact. Meanwhile I guess I'd better start breaking in the Scarpa boots and trying to find somebody to punch out the sides to make room for my big toe
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 9:25 pm

Ted, from the piccies you’ve posted, even industrial silicon would work fine.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 6:47 am

andrewa wrote:Ted, from the piccies you’ve posted, even industrial silicon would work fine.

A

Yes It would have but the contact was a third of the cost and I think it worked better gluing the midsole back in
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm still waiting for the contact to stop smelling of acetone before I try wearing them again.
As these are now relegated to casual use only I suppose I should now start shopping for something LW for warmer weather walking. The Scarpa boots I am breaking in are far too hot for anything other than snow and winter
Attachments
IMG_0899.JPG
Light shining thru the tack holes
IMG_0899.JPG (93.73 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
IMG_0900.JPG
Insoles are very good quality sole leather Very stiff Excellent stuff
IMG_0900.JPG (146.43 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
IMG_0901.JPG
Glued on some thick but soft garment leather to replace the part that had worn away
IMG_0901.JPG (137.43 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment