The gear we use....

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

The gear we use....

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 07 Mar, 2019 5:47 pm

Yes, it's U.S. based, but many of the manufacturers are well known to us [ I own several of the brands listed ], so there should be a reasonable similarity over here I guess.

Z-packs was one suprise in terms of sales....

https://sectionhiker.com/top-backpackin ... y-results/
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: The gear we use....

Postby slparker » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 2:05 pm

Zpacks is currently supplying Massdrop so they are no longer a niche backyard manufacturer, I think.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 12:45 pm

Interesting that no Chinese manufacturers are listed.

I'm sure alot of people own nature hike and 3f UL tents. Though given the murky origin of their designs perhaps the lack of listing is understandable
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 6:00 pm

From that survey :
In this backpacker poll, we surveyed 3,300 backpackers to answer the following questions about their primary, non-winter backpacking tents and shelters

While there aren’t any unknown brands on the following list, there are a couple of takeaways of note.

First, several of the backpacking cottage manufacturers, like Tarptent and Zpacks, have a surprisingly large market share compared to more mainstream brands like MSR and NEMO. That’s not completely a surprise since Tarptent and Zpacks cater almost exclusively to backpackers. But it illustrates the growing market demand for lighter weight, trekking pole shelters that more mainstream manufacturers have largely ignored because they sell poorly in retail stores and online chains.
Second, while Big Agnes and REI continue to dominate the market because they have more direct access to retail consumers, one can’t discount the willingness that backpackers have for purchasing products directly from the manufacturers who make them, including Tarptent, Zpacks, and Six Moon Designs.

I have not seen anywhere on that site this year or the previous ones that there is any filtering whatsoever.
So what you see there is what those 3300 backpackers reported.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment