Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Postby Watertank » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 5:42 pm

I’ve read a number of reviews of the Mariposa and discussion on this site. One of the criticisms was whether the fabric was sufficiently robust. It seems that the fabric has been recently upgraded or at least changed. Has anyone got a recent version? My understanding from the Australian reviews I have read is that it’s not up to off track use but is great for hiking which is either on track or not pushing through vegetation. Any views?
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Postby onward » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 10:26 pm

Had one for a 18 months or so. The main pack fabric is fine, done several thousand kms with it and a lot of off track, but quite it has a few holes in the front mesh panel (but easy to fix/sew and I love the front panel), hip belt has worn through where the straps rub (sent an email to GG and they said it happens to some people but never offered me a fix! - I just put some tape over the worn areas). Stitching is coming loose on the top of one shoulder strap. Love the big deep pocket for my tent. All in all an ok lightish pack, I have the Gorilla and Kumo as well, all have worn in the same places (the Gorilla is the best fit and size for me). I like the packs, light and comfortable but longevity is an issue; would I buy another; I guess the best way of answering that I just bought a Hanchor marl and I am blown away by the quality and material differences (even with the marginal weight increase). Hope that is of some use.
Cheers
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 2:18 am

I have an older version (2012) and the fabric on that one is definitely fragile. My wife has the newer version (2017) and the fabric has been upgraded significantly. She hasn't put it to the test but my sense is that the fabric is reasonably tough but still on the thinner side. I guess it depends on exactly what "off track" means. I could imagine scrub in Tasmania destroying that pack. The external mesh would likely be particularly vulnerable. But that's just my impression based on looking at and feeling the fabric.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Watertank » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks for those replies. Onward I hadn't heard of the Hanchor Marl and have now looked it up. I will be interested to see how longer term you feel it handles and stands up to use. I have a Zpack Arc Blast but I find it isn't particularly comfortable is there is anything above a reasonable light weight load - which of course it is designed for - so I am not complaining.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:38 am

I have 2 Mariposa's

The first is the 2010 version.
This one is made from something waterproof like Nylon and net on the sides and the back. The net was easy to be damaged walking through scrub, but good on normal trips. Have used it for around Australia, most in SA and Tassie, and to Scotland. Never had it too heavy and was ok to walk without any problem. Nothing damaged.

The last one was made in the last of 2012. It is slightly heavier than the 2010 version but stronger and with no nets on the sides, was changed to Dyneema. A Stronger net on the back, and the top is changed to make it a flap over the top. The 2010 version just had a string to pull it tight at the top. The shoulder and waist straps are better than the 2010 version. Have used the 2012 version for trips across SA, Tassie, Scotland, Sweden, NZ, etc.

The 2012 version has been on/off tracks and never had any damage on it.

The current 2019 version looks similar but with the back net looks even stronger, and looks it's has wider shoulder straps and hip belts with better pockets. Uses different material, denier Robic high-tensil strength nylon. It's a little heavier.

If I didn't have it, would buy it again.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment