Boots pressing into toes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Boots pressing into toes

Postby drakkar » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 2:34 pm

Ok, so I've just annoyed every sales staff in every shop on little Bourke while trying on my first pair of boots (normally a trail runner guy, trying something different)

The closest to a comfy boot I've found is the scarpa... both terra gtx or delta fly. Instantly comfy when on, no movement, cup my heel well ect.

BUT when I am at full flexation of my toe, the stud for the laces presses in just behind my big toe. Is this going to be something I can fix with some warm water and stretching? Or is it a deal breaker? At the moment I think I'll get the answer by flipping a coin.... but I'm hoping some more experienced here can point me in the right direction.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Boots pressing into toes

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 3:35 pm

What socks were you wearing when you tried the boots on? I have had a similar sensation/problem in the past with steel capped safety boots and I needed very thick socks. Never with walking boots or mountain boots tho Did this happen with all the boots?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby drakkar » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 3:46 pm

Interesting on the thicker sock.

Just thin cotton business socks. I typically wear ultra thin sports socks in my runners, thicker ones give me blisters... but are uber comfy in my work steel caps.

For what it's worth I had a very similar issue with some dressy boots and some newspaper and warm water to bend them the right way fixed it. Pretty much the main reason I'm entertaining the idea.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 7:21 pm

Had the same issue with some scarpa trek boots many years ago. Nothing worked for me and I left them outside a backpackers in Christchurch.
Somewhere in NZ there is a hobo still wearing them, I'm sure...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 8:48 pm

Don’t buy boots with ANY level of discomfort. Any discomfort will get worse with the repetition of many steps of walking.

If the salesman tells you that they just need breaking in, ask them if you can get a full refund if they are still uncomfortable after breaking in.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby drakkar » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 7:55 pm

Damn. In every other aspect these fitted perfectly. And far and above the rest I tried.

How acceptable is it to spend an hour in the store doing laps of the staircase?
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 8:13 pm

drakkar wrote:The closest to a comfy boot I've found is the scarpa... both terra gtx or delta fly. Instantly comfy when on, no movement, cup my heel well ect.

BUT when I am at full flexation of my toe, the stud for the laces presses in just behind my big toe. Is this going to be something I can fix with some warm water and stretching?

Leather ... could be fixed with stretching. If you can find someone with an adjustable last or make a bit of wood to fit and leave it there to stretch things it should be fine. But it will be your risk.
https://www.altberg.co.uk/fitting/boot- ... t-altberg/
I have been to this factory.. they are good. They can make boots for me, ~ 2 months later fit it in the factory .. and if it needs stretching I'd have to come back the next day for another fitting... they don't usually need to do another adjustment but that is there if required.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby drakkar » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 10:00 pm

So as an update to this.. I’ve annoyed every salesman in Melbourne. But did purchase a pair of Vasque Erickson’s today.

Initial 5k loop in the Collingwood end of the Yarra trail and they fit well.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby markg » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 1:42 pm

Me too. I bought some GTXs and they were a nightmare. I simply thought they would stretch out but they didn't. I took them to a bootmaker that has the type of last mentioned but it didn't really fix it satisfactorily, plus I was then concerned about ruining the gortex lining. Next time around I will try the next size up and maybe look for a brand that has a wide fit. Strictly for winter use and figure the next size up will suit heavy socks and be a better alround fit. As they are , my little toes rub against the others and burn after a few hrs of walking.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 1:51 pm

markg I have that problem in my ski boots, I fixed it by swapping to Injinji liners
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby drakkar » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 8:37 am

I was getting my little toe on my gimpy right foot rubbing on long descents in my new boots.
Lacing like below helped far more than I expected it to. First proper tramp in a fortnight around hotham, hopefully it helps there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbUAMPQDjyk
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby redbruce » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 12:19 pm

After years walking in Scarpa GTX 65 boots, and liking my Soloman XA pro 3 trail runners, in my quest to lighter gear decided to try a pair of Soloman Eskape GTX boots.

Sales advised same size as the XA's since they have been great.

Initial walking around at home was fine. A day at the office however revealed the same issue as yours, pressure from the lace keeper just behind my big toe and not to be ignored.

Too late to return so doubled socked with thick socks, stuffed my foot in and heated the offending area with a heat gun.

After cooling, perfect with my usual hike socks. Have done a couple of long day walks and an overnighter since and they are great.
redbruce
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gbagua » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 4:18 pm

drakkar wrote:...but I'm hoping some more experienced here can point me in the right direction.

Are boots a must-have for you? If not, you should give approach shoes a go. Here are some:

1. La Sportiva TX4, Boulder X
2. Five Ten Guide Tennie
3. Scarpa Zen
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby drakkar » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 8:08 pm

gbagua wrote:
drakkar wrote:...but I'm hoping some more experienced here can point me in the right direction.

Are boots a must-have for you? If not, you should give approach shoes a go. Here are some:

1. La Sportiva TX4, Boulder X
2. Five Ten Guide Tennie
3. Scarpa Zen

Ive never worn boots and I love my Salomon XA trail runners.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment