Inexpensive multi-day pack?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Inexpensive multi-day pack?

Postby Alana84 » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi there,

I’m planning my first multi day (8 days) walk later this year and I would like to buy a new pack. I have an Osprey Farpoint 70 that I thought at first might be suitable, but online reviews suggest it’s not very comfortable for more than one day and is better suited as luggage (happy to be corrected on this).

I was thinking at least 65L. I live in Toowoomba so my store options are Tentworld, Anaconda and Kathmandu - though I would be fine with purchasing online. Haven’t had any luck with eBay and gumtree so far.

My budget is $250 max.

I’ve been looking at the Blackwolf McKinley 75. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Inexpensive multi-day pack?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 8:56 pm

Don't buy the Black Wolf
Spend a bit more and buy a real pack
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29160
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 8:56 pm

Massdrop have a Granite Gear 60 for sale for $119, so less than $150 landed I guess. Great pack, light but maybe not big enough for you. Be worth buying and spend the change and lighten your load

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 6:55 am

If you remove the day-pack component of your farpoint, can you get all you need into it? By being careful with your weights, it should be serviceable. I've found it very common on "piggyback" style packs that the extra pack ends up with a lot of the heavy gear in it, making the load unbalanced. Even people who should know better seem to make this mistake from time to time.

It really depends on how you are needing to handle the bulk and weight. A "proper" pack would be better. paddy pallin still has a few bags on clearance on the bay. A touch above your price but I see a couple Aether 60s still there.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 7:13 am

I found this Deuter 64L on Cotswold Outdoor. It seems very cheap. I suppose it’s an old model?

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com.au/p/de ... olour=4863
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lamont » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Alana it's almost impossible to help properly I reckon. Are you asking about comfort, brand security and/or size or price?
One trip only, or keeping it for other trips- long term?
If you want it for winter you would be best to include the maximum weight you will need to accommodate. What size must you have -what is your baseweight i.e. all your gear's weight minus food and water.
You could, to quote Jesse the Body Ventura, "be in a world of hurt" with the wrong sack from day one on your trip.
If you just want something really big (??) and cheap (that is the only figure you gave) what is the minimum size you must have?
There are many knowledgeable bargain hunters on here but you need to give some more specific info.
Deuter (the brand) is heavy but seems to get good reviews, especially for females.
The one crolly linked (massdrop) has got some good reviews, is much loved by many, is lightish and I believe there is a women's version-but big enough?
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Alana
Perhaps have a look online at what pack you might like (read reviews, look at how much weight it needs to carry ie heavy gear, will need a beefier suspension to cope with the load). If you give an idea of the rough weight of your gear, I'm sure the fine folk here can give some suggestions.

Also get someone to measure your back length so you can work out what size you need.

It's a shame you cant get into brissy to try on some packs, as there are some good outdoor shops all fairly close together.
Once you have an idea what you are looking for, you can put a wanted to buy add on the forums here. Someone might have what you are looking for, and you won't need to fork out new prices.

Cheers

Mic

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 7:07 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote:Once you have an idea what you are looking for, you can put a wanted to buy add on the forums here. Someone might have what you are looking for, and you won't need to fork out new prices.

Cheers

Mic

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is very sound advice, I have sourced some terrific gear from forum members here and without exception, they have all been very decent people to deal with.
Finding gear that works for you is hard, I know. I live in a rural area so have had to buy and try for the large part. If this can be done second hand, all the better. If not, at least there is a healthy 2nd hand market for good quality gear here.

Very exciting that you are preparing for a multiday walk. Sometimes the researching and bargain hunting is a really fun part of the prep.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wallwombat » Tue 19 Feb, 2019 7:44 pm

Wildearth have the OSPREY VIVA 65L for $250 and the QSPREY EJA 58L for $240, if you want a lighter pack.

I think the EJA is the women's version of the Exos, which I have. I own the 48L version and it's close to 60L in reality, so the 58L version should be around 65L+.

Osprey also have a great lifetime repair or replace guarantee, that they actually honour. I have three Osprey packs and I really rate them but I have about nine packs, so I don't really have a favourite brand or manufacturer.

My Golite Quest 70 is probably my favourite pack but they aren't made anymore.

By the way, I have no affiliation with either Wildearth or Osprey packs.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Alana84 » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've just purchased a second hand Osprey Ariel 65. Looking forward to trying it out!
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 10:50 am

Great news!
Osprey's are a great pack. I own two (a Mira daypack and an Aura AG) and my little daughter has just scored herself a kid sized Osprey pack through the forum too.
The Osprey women's specific fit are great for me and much better than any other brands womens fit I have tried and obviously much better again than anything 'unisex'.

Enjoy getting out and about with your swish new pack :-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nezumi » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 6:12 pm

wallwombat wrote:Osprey also have a great lifetime repair or replace guarantee, that they actually honour.

Alana84 wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've just purchased a second hand Osprey Ariel 65. Looking forward to trying it out!

Great news!

To add to wallwombat's comment - the Osprey almighty guarantee is for the life of the product, and travels with the product - all told, a pretty good offer.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment