Light and cheap 2-3 person tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Light and cheap 2-3 person tent

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 8:34 am

Im after some recommendations for a light and cheap 2-3 person tent.
Encouraging my partner to come walking with me, however we don’t want to spend a fortune until we know she enjoys it.

- 360 Bug protection. So no tarp only. (unless includes a inner tent within the budget)
- lots of room
- light weight ideally under 2kg
- doesn’t need to stand up to significant wind etc.
- doesn’t need to last for years. As will upgrade if she gets bitten by the hiking bug.

So far I’ve considered the Nature Hike cloud up 3 however its 2.3 kg so a little heavier than id like.

Any others I should be looking at?

Budget - under $300AU
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Light and cheap 2-3 person tent

Postby crollsurf » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 9:06 am

Black Wolf Mantis.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 9:20 am

Lanshan 2 (FLAMES CREED) as long as neither of you are over 1.78m. 1.3 kgs $120?I think.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 9:48 am

Lamont wrote:Lanshan 2 (FLAMES CREED) as long as neither of you are over 1.78m. 1.3 kgs $120?I think.

I seriously looked at that. however, i think its going to be too small. Its 110 cm accoss.

Most people when they are starting out need a lot of room. Otherwise it can be frustrating and annoying living with another person in close confines.

From the video reviews many people like the lanshan 2 for a one person shelter. If they made a slightly larger version id be throwing the money at them.. (well atleast up to my budget)

That’s my biggest dilemma.. finding something with a lot of floor space and light weight. Really only needs to last for less than 10 nights and if my partner is keen I’l upgrade to a stratospire or similar.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 10:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBCeHSPTyBo
what's not to love? The bloke is American and my understanding is they love to put all their stuff inside-so often comments reflect that.
Put all your stuff outside in the porches in your rucksack and stand it upright against your walk stick!
I still do this in my Duplex and I use it solo.
120 cms wide, 2 X 50cm mats or one large and one standard-10 nights, you don't need much room for a few nights. The Lanshan FC 2 is the only one of these things I would happily buy.
Stick some 0.75mm polycryo under it (app 70 grams) and bingo bango bongo.
Any of the heavy versions alies etc you will be stuck with, and there goes $150 odd down the gurgler.
This Flames Creed will at least give you a nice tarp (detach the inner) for other times. You won't need to sell it.
Otherwise you might as well buy the one you want -Tarptent Strat -use it for 7-10 nights if you don't want it, sell it-and you will only lose the same amount, in fact I reckon you would lose a lot less because 7-10 nights would not diminish the high quality at all of the Tarptent and people know that.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 9:59 am

Lamont wrote:Lanshan 2 (FLAMES CREED) as long as neither of you are over 1.78m. 1.3 kgs $120?I think.

Yep, I second this recommendation. Have had one for about 6 mths I think. Got it to take out if one of my younger kids come out with me, didn't want to spend a bomb on an occasionally used tent and didn't want to carry too many extra grams given I would already be carrying a lot more as my little kids are 30kg and under so can't carry all their own gear yet. Honestly surprised with how much I liked the tent and I also choose to take it out solo sometimes too as it is nice to have a palace in which to sprawl out in :lol:
I use a 'space' blanket as a ground sheet (costs and weighs nothing) and the whole shebang comes in at just under 1.3kg. I have a wide mat, and a normal mat still fits in beside me. It would feel 'snugger' for sure with two adults but as the inner is mesh and the vestibules large, it wouldn't feel too claustrophobic I don't think.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I do like the look of the Lanshan 2

Both reddit and frugal hiker are saying 110cm width for the lanshan 2 (Measured from the inside)

Is your 120cm a measured width or going off the AliExpress store?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 7:18 pm

WW
check this .....Flames Creed--https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-LanShan-2-FLAME-S-CREED-2-Person-Oudoor-Ultralight-Camping-Tent-3-Season-Professional-15D/32860402976.html
the one on frugalhiker (just checked) is the Lanshan 2, not the (updated model I think?) Lanshan 2-"Flames Creed" which is the one I mentioned. It shows as 120cm wide. You are looking at the earlier version -not the one I have been referring to.
I would go to redditUL or trek-lite and ask an owner if it is 120cm wide as advertised-but you must state 'Flames Creed model Lanshan 2.'
Check out the king of 3FUL and all cheap stuff-senor melonbites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4T2zhycA0 for his look at the Flames Creed
Muddy could confirm if the earlier Lanshan 2 is 110cm wide also.
Also maybe contact the seller to confirm-that seller has sold heaps of the things.
Flames Creed-green
Lanshan grey/whitish
Good hunting.

PS Just followed it more carefully down into the details -it does appear to be 110 cms-bugger!-
I was sure when I first heard of it and looked it said 120 cm wide. Curses, foiled again!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 9:07 am

You could be right Lamont, maybe mine is only 110cm.
I have just come off night shifts so would like an activity to do today that is not too mentally taxing, so I shall set mine up later and measure. I did want a green Flame's Creeds, for purely aesthetic reasons when I initially purchased, but they were out of stock. I had no idea that they were bigger too.

Here are a few pics of the Lanshan on its initial pitch and out in situ complete with my overload of packing detritus from a Winter's overnighter. Yes, you can see a fishing rod there and no, I didn't catch a *&%$#! thing. For scale, the mat pictured is the Massdrop Klymit Ultralight V in large/wide 193 x 66 x 6 cm.
Attachments
20180718_133621.jpg
20180718_133928.jpg
20180718_133948.jpg
20180823_074011.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 3:22 pm

Nice pitch.
That mat looks like it goes just over half way (at 66cms) and I wonder if lowering the sticks would still maintain a bathtub but give an extra 5cms or so.
Did you have to seam seal the stitching a la--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTS2iO_LKc at 1 minute in?
Where is the goat's bed?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks! That was my first ever go at pitching it, which is a great endorsement of the tent, as I am not overly skilled- or in fact, skilled at all- in that department.
I have pitched the tent using my poles lower (?115-120cm?) rather than the normal 125cm when in wet weather with 'blowy' rain as the vestibules are quite high when set at full height, yes the bathtub floor remains in a workable state at the lower height. I hadn't thought about it at the time as making more room width-wise, but you are right Lamont, it does make for a touch more floor space.

Yes, I seam sealed with silicone mix at those two spots where it guys out at the head and foot. Must have done okay as it doesn't leak.

I really think for a cheapo lightweight 2p tent, it far surpasses my expectations. It doesn't have the cool brand name street (bush) cred, but gosh it is a bit of gear that I find easy to use and has performed well at anything I have thrown at it.

As for the goats, they would sleep in my bag with me if I let them. I didn't get the tent out to measure today, but I did take the the caprines for a quick spin in their training pack saddles. Only walked a few km on a dirt road then up the mainstreet to the newsagent and got them to carry the newspaper home, but onwards and upwards to them shouldering some of my heavier gear when they get closer to their 100kg fully grown size!
Attachments
Vinnie and Jeff Feb 13.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 5:30 pm

WOW-Wee padded rucksacks!
I believe you have created a new category of Ultralight
GOATLIGHT.
Lamont