I just snapped a shoe lace

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

I just snapped a shoe lace

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 4:22 pm

This is interesting news as it is the first shoelace I have lost in a dozen years I guess, I've had these work boots for a few years now maybe 8 or 9 years and I worked in kitchens in them and in the back yard etc.
I seem to remember posting about my Tobby boot laces wearing out after 25 or so years
I am getting on I know but how many other people remember having to carry multiple spare shoe laces on walks and what a revelation parachute cord was.
These days we no longer need to carry dedicated shoe laces as any bit of synthetic cord will do but going back a few decades it was one of the major subjects we talked about around the cooking fire while we waited for the De-Hy to reconstitute
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: I just snapped a shoe lace

Postby Warin » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 5:15 pm

You must have got a faulty one, or cut it on something.

Used to be replacement shoe laces in the super market... won't find them or hankies there, at least not in the ones I have looked in. Think they were cotton ... you'd go through a few of them on one shoe before the shoe wore out. Now the shoe wares out before the shoe lace.
I do notice that the laces tend to be too long, tend to catch in things. The old replacement ones were in different lengths so you could get the length you wanted. Think I'll just cut them to size and use some heat shrink tube to finish them off.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 6:57 am

The outer wrapping on my Keen sandal’s bungee cord wore through recently, causing the snaps to not able to grab the reduced diameter and tighten. Owned numerous Keen shoes and never had this happen., especially after a bare 6 months of wear. Contacted Keen’s portal and their Australian distributors promptly sent a set of replacement cords and clips free of charge. Whilst it didn’t break, it’s as close as I got.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 8:20 am

The laces on my fly fishing wading boots wear through every few years. Not sure why, as they don’t particularly seem to be in a place to get abrasion, although I suppose river grit might get in between them and the eyelets. And maybe coz they’re constantly wet. I don’t carry spares, but I do change them before a big trip if they’re starting to wear out, as, once the outer layer wears through a bit, the rest wears quickly.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Orion » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 10:05 am

I blew out the laces at the toes of a pair of boots last year. For some reason the hooks on the gaiters were cutting into them. Maybe too much tension? I'm not sure why they were different than the last pair of boots/gaiters. An easily dealt with minor annoyance in any case.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 11:12 am

I'm obviously doing something wrong, as I have never had a pair of boots - and very few pairs of shoes - whose laces outlasted the boot.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 11:35 am

I'll point out that the Tobby laces I bought in England were VERY expensive; even if I can no longer remember how much they were. But they remain the best boot laces I have every used and naturally no longer available
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 11:58 am

north-north-west wrote:I'm obviously doing something wrong, as I have never had a pair of boots - and very few pairs of shoes - whose laces outlasted the boot.

No, you're not doing anything wrong. It's normal for the shoes/boots to go first. I can't even remember this ever happening in the past.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment