Super cheap pack on eBay

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Super cheap pack on eBay

Postby Happy Pirate » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 7:55 pm

I just bought a 'Free Knight' 60L backpack off eBay for $30. For a dodgy Chinese brand it weighs in at 925g and I reckon would carry up to about 12kg comforably. It has a semi-rigid back with no real lumbar support so it's not for heavy loads. But for the price I was surprised at how decent it feels. I haven't taken it out yet (just arrived today) but it feels at least as sturdy and comfortable as my old Golite Trek.
Anyone else tried these out?
cheers, Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Super cheap pack on eBay

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 8:03 am

How cheap those bags are become apparent when the plastic strap tensioners snap or stitching rips and you have to fix it with medical tape to get it back out.
A friend had a cheap eBay one and it broke 5 different times in different ways in just one trip.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby flingebunt » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 11:36 am

I had a travel card with a small amount of money on it and so bought a few cheap items online, including a super cheap made in China day pack. This was one of the most comfortable day packs I have had, but it lasted 2 trips before it basically disintegrated. This is not about some straps coming lose, it is about the material ripping, seams coming apart and much more. I think it was just a copy of better backpack but made with cheaper material.

If you look at the reviews on Amazon for those cheap Chinese hiking backpacks, there is not a lot of love for them. I would suggest fill it with 12 kgs of gear (or just 12 litres of water in old soft drink bottles and walk up a local hill and see how it feels and whether the seems survive.

By the way, I used to live in China and bought a number of cheap day packs that would last for years even stuffed with gear for travelling, so you can find good quality Chinese gear for a good price.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 11:51 am

flingebunt wrote:By the way, I used to live in China and bought a number of cheap day packs that would last for years even stuffed with gear for travelling, so you can find good quality Chinese gear for a good price.

Of course! There's genuine fakes and then there's fakes.
Huntsman247

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 12:33 pm

looks to me that they don't make fakes like they use to.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment