How much should I pay for these two older OnePlanet bags?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How much should I pay for these two older OnePlanet bags?

Postby marcoscascas » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 10:53 pm

The 70L Elvis with day pack and the 60L Tom Thumb 3 with day pack. I heard the Elvis was over $500 when new. Does it hold its value well? They are both in great condition by the way. Thanks
marcoscascas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: How much should I pay for these two older OnePlanet bags

Postby slparker » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 9:57 am

The one planet travel packs are very good - I have had a 40l one for years and it has been all over the world. They are overbuilt. The zips alone will survive the apocalypse.

How much would I pay second hand? probably half of the new price. I am sure osprey, berghaus etc make excellent packs that you could buy new for half the price of a One Planet - why buy a One planet when a lesser pack will do?

That is, there is probably no point in buying an overbuilt pack as you can buy a replacement anywhere in the world at any market or city. I bought a one planet because i wanted a smaller travel pack with few bells and whistles. If you want your travel pack to last your lifetime than the OP is probably the one to get.

It just so happens that i was so impressed with its longevity that I bought a One Planet bushwalking pack when my old pack died. In my opinion, sturdiness is a more compelling feature in a bushwalking pack than it is with a travel pack.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 10:11 pm

Such gear can be anything from 30-50% new value depending on age and popularity. Anything over 5-10 years old more around 30% mark. These items although appear good aren’t particularly state of the art gear as they weigh quite a lot vs other products likes Osprey so unlikely to be worth approaching 50% Mark.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby pulseevents » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 7:21 pm

Pay whatever you are comfortable with but know that if its a one planet pack and the harness is the right size its worth every cent. Even new they may seem expensive but after you use it you will forget the price tag within the first day of having it on your back.
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby flingebunt » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 10:10 pm

Second hand prices can vary a lot.

1. Generally if someone has bought something, used it a couple of times and then decided that they don't want to use it anymore, they will sell it close to the original price.
2. If they have used it a fair amount, but there is nothing but maybe a little bit superficial damage, it will be sold around half price.
3. If it is beat up with tears, broken bits and stains, but still usable, then it might be down to 30%.
4. The best deal is when someone is doing a quick sale, maybe clearing out their storage or moving to a new city or country, then it can be cheap with little or no damage.

If you are buying hiking equipment second hand you want do do the following.
a) Look for the price of the product or similar item from the same company new. I have seen it a lot with tents, people try and sell their tent for half the price they paid for it several years ago, but thanks to discounting, you can buy the same tent new for the same price. I am not sure with backpacks, it will depend on the brand.
b) Find out how much it has been used and make a decision based on its use, damage etc.
c) Realise that if you take your time, you can probably find someone offloading a similar backpack for a much lower price.
d) Finally, think about what you need. There are plenty of discount brands that will be cheaper than a good quality second hand pack and you might want to buy one of those instead.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby stry » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 3:52 pm

pulseevents wrote:Pay whatever you are comfortable with but know that if its a one planet pack and the harness is the right size its worth every cent. Even new they may seem expensive but after you use it you will forget the price tag within the first day of having it on your back.

This. There is also the possibility that some bits of the harness sytem will be switchable to get a better fit if necessary. This should be easily done with the Elvis. OP would be the best source of advice on this.

I disagree that the OP travel packs are overbuilt or unnecessarily heavy. I have a couple of varying age made of cordura. They weight no more than 2kg each and I certainly wouldn't want anything less to go through the checked baggage handling on an airline.

A bushwalking pack OTH, has the luxury of being able to be nursed and mollycoddled by the user (to some degree :) should the user be so inclined. For those with the ability to break cannon balls, nothing will be strong enough

The Elvis is a hybrid travel/bushwalking pack rather than a pure travel pack and is made of canvas, with the excellent exact fit harness. This will be heavier and more suited to bushwalking than the Tom Thumb.

If you have the need, the price is right, and they fit (or can be made to fit), I'd grab them both.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment