Mini Toothpaste Tubes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Mini Toothpaste Tubes

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:17 pm

Species 8472 wrote:Try these free mini samples your local dentist has.
They get them at no cost from suppliers so they will be happy to give them to you for nothing.
One tube easily lasts for more than a week
That tube is much larger and heavier. But I'm not stopping you from using it.
I've gotten a hell of a lot more than a weeks worth of brushing from the 6g tube so that big thing would probably last me years and years. Lol
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 1:58 pm

These just came up in my Facebook feed. A bit expensive but better than throwing all these plastic tubes in the bin.

https://ecoeasy.co.nz/collections/our-p ... paste-tabs

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 4:58 pm

Strider wrote:These just came up in my Facebook feed. A bit expensive but better than throwing all these plastic tubes in the bin.

Knock yourself out with them [THUMBS UP SIGN]
I'm happy to throw 1 or 2 tiny plastic tubes every year. I think it's far more effective to reduce our plastic consumption in normal life rather than being overly padantic when hiking.
Huntsman247

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 5:16 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:
Strider wrote:These just came up in my Facebook feed. A bit expensive but better than throwing all these plastic tubes in the bin.

I'm happy to throw 1 or 2 tiny plastic tubes every year. I think it's far more effective to reduce our plastic consumption in normal life rather than being overly padantic when hiking.

I tend to agree however those tabs are pretty cool! (and just think! you wold be saving 2 grams by no mini toothpaste packaging! :lol: )

Shame they only ship within NZ though.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 5:23 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:

I tend to agree however those tabs are pretty cool! (and just think! you wold be saving 2 grams by no mini toothpaste packaging! :lol: )

Shame they only ship within NZ though.
At those prices it's probably worth doing yourself though lol
And just thinking about it... You'll need a plastic bag so they don't get moisture/wet.
Back to square one. Lol
Huntsman247

Postby Warin » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 4:11 pm

ribuck wrote: Very little toothpaste is needed to give a fresh feel and taste, and I found that a 6g tube similar to huntsman's was more than enuough for twice-a-day brushing on a 16-day Larapinta hike.

Apparently a pea sized bit of toothpaste is all that is required.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-08/ ... e/10792828

And I came across this
Dr Owen said as well as brushing with fluoridated toothpaste, it was best to not rinse your mouth straight after brushing.
"We do recommend now that after you've stopped brushing, you spit out the excess but don't have the mouth rinsed at all."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-05/ ... ow/8676300
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 8:27 pm

Dr Owen misses the point. In addition to delivering fluoride to the teeth, the purpose of toothpaste is to form a foam which will trap food debris as it is dislodged by your toothbrush. Therefore you should spit and rinse.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 4:46 am

Spit and rinse? Not always.
There are a few toothpastes with a therapeutic effect which need to stay in contact with the tooths dentine for a longish amount of time .
But those of us with sensitive teeth know this
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 6:12 am

Moondog55 wrote:There are a few toothpastes with a therapeutic effect which need to stay in contact with the tooths dentine for a longish amount of time

I think it's a good idea to spit out the frothy toothpaste that's carrying the gunk dislodged from one's teeth. Then rinse and, if desired, brush again with a fresh dab of therapeutic toothpaste and leave it on the dentine.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 6:30 am

Agreed there
But you don't need toothpaste for that first scrub and rinse, although at home I usually use BiCarb and salt usually, out bush I don't.
Which is why I can make one of those mini tubes last a long time.
If you need to use a Sensitive toothpaste just do what I did a while ago, write a nice letter to each toothpaste brand asking for a sample of their best sensitive teeth toothpaste and within a week I had 3 different mini tubes to use out bush
I got that idea when there was a mailing campaign a while ago and a small tube of Colgate arrived unbidden in the letterbox
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment