Sleeping bag (not down filled)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping bag (not down filled)

Postby skog » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 7:13 pm

I am hoping someone may be able to help or have the same issue...
Most bags are filled with down as are jackets, the issue is that I can not wear or sleep in down filled things. I know it sounds strange but an allergist confirmed that I am highly alergic to it.

I have found sea to summit make a few bags that are synthetic filled and have still have good temperature ratings.

Anyone had the same issue?
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sleeping bag (not down filled)

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 10:17 pm

Patagonia make synthetic fill jackets. I have one, it's great (3 season).
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 6:45 am

I post this on every thread of this type.
Most often (this is to avoid stating always...) it has to do with dust mites that can still be found inside pillows or quilt made for the bedroom.
The brand name stuff you buy for bushwalking has for a start a much higher content of down versus feathers (that is where the dust mites are) and is washed and treated so that there are no mites left in the item you get.
In other words, people that can react to a home quilt don't generally have the problem with quality bushwalking gear.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby skog » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 7:17 am

Franco I am that off group that is both as they were tested separately.
I admit I haven't tried a down bag, as the Dr said to get rid of everything that was filled with down and go to wool.
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 9:17 am

skog wrote:Franco I am that off group that is both as they were tested separately.
I admit I haven't tried a down bag, as the Dr said to get rid of everything that was filled with down and go to wool.

If you are allergic to the proteins in down and feathers isn't it also likely that you should be allergic to the same protein in wool?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 11:50 am

I'm not sure if you are looking for someone with the same issue or a recommended synthetic bag/quilt ("Sleeping bag (not down filled)"?
Terrarosa gear in Melbourne makes synthetic (Apex) quilts to order if that's what you are after.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 12:30 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
skog wrote:Franco I am that off group that is both as they were tested separately.

If you are allergic to the proteins in down and feathers isn't it also likely that you should be allergic to the same protein in wool?

Presumably the testing was also done for wool?
Possibly testing for reactions to artificial insulators too? Note there are a few of these.

Hopefully the testing had no contamination from feathers to down... i.e. they are well sealed while stored.

----------------
I was tested as a youngster for allergies ... and they found I was allergic to corn ... corn pollen. Before the testing I had spent some time on a farm, next door to a corn farm .. never noticed a thing. I ignored the test result.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby skog » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 1:49 pm

Yes, the testing was extensive as I had some issues with my health and a few things were discovered that I was allergic too.
Wool isn't an issue for me.

I am looking to see if what options there are on the market. I have looked at a couple of sea to summit bags that are synthetic filling with similar rating values to that of down.
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 1:54 pm

You can get any rating you need in synthetic bags, all the way down to -40C; you simply need to be prepared for the weight penalty and poor service life.
If you are allergic to down and feathers then you really don't have the LW option but polyester is so much lighter than wool and canvas. Subjectively I would rate the synthetically insulated bags from S2S about 5 to 8 degrees cooler that their EN rating.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby skog » Tue 01 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks Moondog for the information about the warmth rating.
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby peekay0019 » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 11:21 am

There are lots of synthetic sleeping bags on the market. The only downside (excuse the pun) is the synthetic fill is not as lightweight for the same insulation nor is it as compressible (hence a heavier and larger bag when you're putting it in your pack), relative to a down bag. However, I don't really think the penalty is as dramatic as some people make it out to be - certainly not at the warmer end (e.g. 0deg sleeping bags) but as you put more fill into a bag then the difference will become greater.

I believe one advantage of synthetic over down is once it becomes wet, synthetic fill will still provide some level of warmth, whereas down does not - probably more of an issue in jackets rather than sleeping bags.
peekay0019
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby HarryS11 » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 8:55 pm

The closest synthetic analog to down currently is Apex synthetic insulation, which if I recall right is around about as effective as 600fp down and definitely worth looking at. You can either myog bag or quilt with it, otherwise there many cottage companies using apex which are definitely worth looking at
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trekker76 » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 7:14 pm

I use only synthetic here, just for item life in the muck and damp. No expert though as the only two I own are 'One Planet' Sac -1 rated bag and Sac -5 in XL size. They are quite a bit bulkier than the measurements I see for down. I would class their warmth as accurate for my body. One thing I have always considered and may also help you is synthetic quilts. Being they wrap around the matt they don't need the some backing as a full bag and you can cut some weight for the same warmth. http://www.adventurealan.com/best-light ... eping-bag/
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 3:22 pm

skog wrote:I admit I haven't tried a down bag.

Obviously. Quality down bags are hypoallergenic, that means manufacturers gently rinse the feathers to rid them of allergy-causing dirt and dust.

"If you opt for an 850-fill power or higher bag, you're getting only the fluffiest down plumules that have been thoroughly cleaned. There is an industry standard test called the Oxygen Test, which measures the dust/residue content in processed down. A number of 4.8 or less is considered hypo-allergenic, whereas anything under 10 is considered "clean"."

Source:

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/allergi ... eping-bags
gbagua

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 4:43 pm

I've got a Mountain Hardware spark, EN comfort rated to 5 degrees and is 830g. Its a long way from where synthetics used to be. I've also made some climashield apex quilts (poorly) that are reasonably warm for the size and weight. None of it is magic, and none of it is as warm for the weight as we'd like, but it is an option.

I'd be considering if down or synth is the best option for your conditions. I've found that where I am in SEQ that down really looses a lot in the consistent humidity. I've got a katmandu down (yeah, I know, but it was a panic buy) that is EN rated to 15, and I got cold on a 22 degree night in it. So for me synth has that added benefit. When you add that to the potential allergy concerns, that may swing the balance.

Of course its hard to try a bit of kit without risking the costs, but there are ways.
Also, its possible that some claritine just sorts the problems the days you are using it.
Good luck with your hunting!
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment