Ideas for a new setup for Tasmania multiday mud/scrub/rock

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Ideas for a new setup for Tasmania multiday mud/scrub/rock

Postby CBee » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:04 am

Hi all,
I'd like to read some new ideas for a setup (boots/gaiters/socks) for Tasmania South West. My current boots are Keen, merino socks and S2S Quagmire gaiters. This setup is comfortable enough but boots are draining slowly and I find them slippery on rocky sections and scrambles. They perform well enough in deep mud and my feet stay warm even after wading freezing creeks but after few days I feel they getting heavy and unstable, especially carrying a heavy pack. This is not a huge deal but I would like to know other setups, if I have the chance to improve. I'd also like to know opinions about wearing Bestard Canyon boots (with gaiters over it) for this sort of scenario, if any of you have tried them.
Thanks.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Ideas for a new setup for Tasmania multiday mud/scrub/ro

Postby beardless » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:17 pm

Are you going off track through scrub? If so gloves are very handy.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Ideas for a new setup for Tasmania multiday mud/scrub/ro

Postby CBee » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:37 pm

beardless wrote:Are you going off track through scrub? If so gloves are very handy.

Yes, I have gardening gloves for off-track walks.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment