Aldi kayak.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aldi kayak.

Postby puredingo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:59 am

G'day all,

Just purchased one of these things for $250. I haven't delved into the world of river rafting before and was wondering if this would do the job?

The main reason I got it was because it deflates and I figured I could pack it out at the end of the trip.

Will it work or do I need to hand my PLB around my neck?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Aldi kayak.

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 8:05 am

puredingo wrote:G'day all,

Just purchased one of these things for $250. I haven't delved into the world of river rafting before and was wondering if this would do the job?

The main reason I got it was because it deflates and I figured I could pack it out at the end of the trip.

Will it work or do I need to hand my PLB around my neck?

Hey Puredingo,

Mate from what I see on the website I would be hanging my PLB around my neck with my finger ready to activate it, having come from an AT background I wold not trust that with anymore than sitting on a lake and keeping dry. I wold certainly not be hitting any rivers with it that is for sure.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby puredingo » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 8:15 am

Haha!! Thanks for the heads-up mate.

I've taken it for a spin since in a nice, calm, open river and it handled ok, but yeah, not sure how robust it would be bouncing off rocks and trees etc.

What you recommend for river rafting places like the Shoalhaven, Kowmung, cox? Prefer to be able to deflate the vessel and pack it in and out.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:07 am

Better than the Li-Los we used to use surely?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bobcrusader » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 8:07 am

I've been using a Sevylor QuikPak 5. It's good for up to grade 3 rapids. The seat converts to a backpack so you can even walk back to your car. It's inflatable, but has a canvas cover with a think tarpaulin on the bottom so it handles sharp rocks and sticks. Comes with pump and paddle for under $500.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby puredingo » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks Bob, I will check that out.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment