How long do your boots last?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How long do your boots last?

Postby danman » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 7:08 pm

Just wanting to get an idea of how long the average persons footwear lasts for. It seems I'm forever looking at new boots, but then when I think about it I've only had them a bit over a year.

I currently have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D Gtxs and while I haven't minded them too much, I'm already looking for replacements. My previous Merrells I wore until the tread was completely smooth on the heel and toe. The Salomons I only got in August last year and while I've racked up a few ks in them (including using them a bit for work), I still feel a bit wrong in looking at new shoes already. Although the shocking grip on these is another factor..

I have a low arch and my feet tend to overpronate, so that probably contributes to me trashing shoes a bit earlier. Also maybe a tad heavy for the average hiker at 90kg+.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: How long do your boots last?

Postby Neo » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 7:30 pm

Im also starting to browse for new bushwalking footwear.

I remember as a teen, sneakers would last a year or so. Could go longer but the foam had sackied-out and they were looking worse for wear. A trip around the washing machine occasionally would tidy them up. When you first put on new shoes, the difference was like walking on a cloud.

Similar for walk shoes now, although I tend towards the lighter sneaker type rather than the Scarpa type boot that can be resoled and last for yonks :)

Shoes can also be like that comfy pair of old jeans. The history, the fit, the patches, ooh.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby michael_p » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 7:57 pm

I have recently replaced my 11 year old Ecco boots.

The only reason for replacing them is a design issue with a piece of rubber sewn into the heel section. The rubber is stitched and has torn and is falling off. If this wasn't happening I would fully expect to get several more years out of them. The heel is worn but still has plenty of meat. I try to do 1 to 2 bushwalks a month and do roughly 100-200km per year of both on-track and off-track walking. So I feel that 11 years is pretty good.

I am so happy with Ecco that I have purchased another pair. And they have redesigned the heel section so there is no rubber patch to tear and fall out.

Cheers,
Michael.
Last edited by michael_p on Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey Michael P, what model Ecco?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:12 pm

Neo,

New ones are Expedition III.

Old ones, can't remember the model. I have worn the writing off the inside of them as well. Basically the same design as the new ones sans rubber patch.

Ecco boots are not cheap, I was happy to discover that the new ones were only $350 compared to $400 I paid 11 years ago.

Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks, will look them up.

Had a pair of their walking shoes once. Very nice, stitching issue developed in one spot but didn't chase warranty, forget what happen to them.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:43 pm

Neo wrote:Thanks, will look them up.

Had a pair of their walking shoes once. Very nice, stitching issue developed in one spot but didn't chase warranty, forget what happen to them.

Nah too chunky for me, I'm into shoes. How are the soles, grippy or slippy?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 9:02 pm

Only really bad slip I can remember was on a sloping rock in a creek that was very slimy. I wasn't the only person to slip on this rock. Other than that the soles have been reliable.

Michael.
Last edited by michael_p on Sat 17 Nov, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 9:28 pm

Boots/shoes are like car tyres, its a compromise between grip and longevity. Unfortunately with all the marketing hype, it's hard to separate the two.
I have a hard wearing pair of Merrell's that may well outlive me. My go to shoe ATM is the La Sportiva Approach. Amazingly comfortable and brilliant on rock but I'll be lucky to see 300Klm out out of them. Definately wouldn't pick them for a decent through hike.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 10:58 pm

Depends for me what I am using them for. Wearing also as work boots I get about 1-2 years. Hiking a great deal I can ruin them in under a year. I don't bother with expensive brands as a result.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby onward » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 1:00 pm

I use trail shoes/runner of various types...200km (Inov-8!), around a 1000km Asics and most others I've tried, Salomon x ultras 1500kms+ and still testing Brooks caldera and La Sportiva Bushidos. Boots mostly sit in the cupboard for the odd winter snow shoeing trip...so they last forever...well until they crack up due to lack of use. All in all I am happy if I get 1000km from what I use. I overpronate as well, hence the Asics and La Sportiva, but can't say they have mad much difference. Still looking for the perfect shoe!
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 1:06 pm

Finding bomb proof boots is hard. A lot of emphasis is put on making boots lighter but durability diminishes.
Just seems that most boots are made for European countries that all have very well maintained tracks. Take them off track or on more interesting tracks here in Australia and they seem to fail rather easily.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 5:10 pm

Depends on the boot.
I had a pair of HiTek hikers once, I think they wore out in about 3 months of constant wear, wearing almost everyday I've got 4 years from a pair of US Army Bates desert boots, and my current walking boots are overdue for replacement after about 20 years of weekend walking.
It also depends on how you define worn out, for me it' s when my socks show through the sole
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 6:08 pm

Moondog55 wrote: . . .
It also depends on how you define worn out, for me it' s when my socks show through the sole

Yes, definitions will vary, although yours seems a tad radical! My old pair of Scarpa boots would be at least 15 years young. Bugger-all tread but that's been fine for at least 50% of my walks. A newer pair are possibly half that age and get used for places where I'm likely to need the extra traction.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:40 am

I wear a variety of footware depending on the track (or lack of track) conditions that I expect when out walking.

I wear solid leather boots when I'm expecting any significant off-track walking, or when walking on a track that I expect to require it for other reasons. I wear light comfortable shoes on most tracks. I walk barefoot on tracks that I've walked before and I know will be OK.

I've found that I can get 10 years out of a pair of boots. At present I'm about half way through my 4th pair of boots. My boots have been: Armond, Scarpa, Raichle, Zamberlain. They all ended up failing in different ways, and all after about 10 years (except for the Zamberlains which are not that old yet, and are still in great condition).

For shoes, I only get 2 or 3 years out of them. They generally wear through the soles.

It seems that bare feet are the winner though. My feet have not worn out yet, and I'm hoping that just one pair will last me a lifetime. So far so good.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby north-north-west » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:12 am

With the delamination issues I've had with leather boots, it's about a year or two before repairs are needed. Otherwise a good pair (Asolos for instance) will lat maybe three years of fairly heavy use. Cheap boots I'm lucky to get a year out of. Shoes - provided they don't do any serious off-track stuff down here - last a lot longer; maybe because they don''t get used as much. My Merrell Moabs are still going strong after being first used on the Larapinta five and a half years ago. They're looking tatty but still have plenty of life in them.
Maybe I'm unlucky or maybe my weird feet and biomechanics mean there's more stress on footwear so it doesn't last that long. Eleven years out of a pair of boots is just . . . fantasy, in my world.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby puredingo » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:53 am

I get no where near as much wear out of my boots as people here. But I do get out a lot, a few hours everyday plus most weekends for an overnight at least.

I've traded boots for good, tough shoes these days and currently have two pairs in rotation. A pair of Oboz brand which I don't even know where they come from but the Kathmandu salesman made me an offer I can't refuse and so far they have been excellent. And a pair of Salomons which I can't fault either, really comfortable and hardy.

The worst part is I'm tough on my footwear and feel like I'm forever braking in new shoes, even if they don't wear out being a flatfoot who rolls out in the heels I can feel it in the knees when my shoes have had their day...although it rarely gets to that, like I said they cop a flogging.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 11:49 am

I recently bought a pair of North Face Hedgehog Fastpack GTX. It had taken a while to find something that fit well so I was very happy to find that they were really comfy for me. And then, after about 70km of use, I found that the Vibram sole was falling to bits! They've been returned and I'm waiting on a resolution. Assuming it was just a bad batch as I've read reviews that say they've lasted a long time.
Drew

Postby legend » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 10:12 am

I get around 100 days out of boots. For some this means several years, but it also depends so much on terrain, mud, rain, snow, rock (larapinta Trail), off track etc.
Larapinta Track (NT), Flinders Ranges, Kimberley, etc really cuts your boots up - mostly sharp rock. South Coast Track - muddy, constantly wet can rot fabrics and leather quickly (look after them and keep clean will make them last a long time). Off track will tear the stitching and fabric quickly - leather boots not quite so.
If you do mostly track walking (Wilsons Prom) or similar - well maintained, dry and no scrub then they will last a lot longer.
Beware of long lasting rubber soles. These are hardened rubber and though they may last a long time - they are lethal on wet rock, board walks, etc. I have found softer rubber compounds much better on wet slippery surfaces.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 6:22 am

north-north-west wrote:Maybe I'm unlucky or maybe my weird feet and biomechanics mean there's more stress on footwear so it doesn't last that long. Eleven years out of a pair of boots is just . . . fantasy, in my world.

No it's not just you. Seems for me and the folk I know a good pair of boots usually lasts 2-4 years with regular use.

As someone said the constant wet, muddy and abrasive terrain of Tassie walking takes it's toll.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 7:43 am

I've had 6 pairs in the last 10 years. 3 are still in use; 1 being quite new for longer trips and 2 in various state of disrepair that I only use for day walks and overnighters.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment