Western Mountaineering bag weights

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Western Mountaineering bag weights

Postby rockpaper » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 5:56 am

Hi all!

I read on this forum several years ago that the advertised weights for WM bags might be lower than their actual weights by a significant amount.
As it was several years ago the details may have been updated on the WM website

Anyone bought a WM bag recently and can confirm?
I am looking at the Versalite (1075g for 180 cm) and Antelope MF (1105g for 180 cm)

thanks,

rockpaper
rockpaper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Western Mountaineering bag weights

Postby Zapruda » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 6:12 am

Hi Rockpaper,

I have 3 WM bags and they all come within 10-20 grams of their stated weight. They were bought within the past 3 years. The Antelope being the most recent purchase.

I have the Antelope, Ultralite and Summerlite. They are top bags and I cant see my self going for anything else in the near future except for maybe a custom bag.

@Lamont just bought a Megalite so he might be able to give you an idea of the current weights.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rockpaper » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 11:19 am

Zapruda wrote:Hi Rockpaper,

I have 3 WM bags and they all come within 10-20 grams of their stated weight. They were bought within the past 3 years. The Antelope being the most recent purchase.

I have the Antelope, Ultralite and Summerlite. They are top bags and I cant see my self going for anything else in the near future except for maybe a custom bag.

@Lamont just bought a Megalite so he might be able to give you an idea of the current weights.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, Zapruda. I just got a reply from WM and they have stated the weights are correct. i guess I was going off earlier posts.
My wife has the Apache MF and I am always envious of her.
I am using her old Mont Zeal- great bag but it's weight is nearly 1.7 kg, which is 500g heavier than the current Zeal's stated weight.

Paddy's only stocks the GWS version, which seems like a weight penalty for little gain.

cheers!
rp
rockpaper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 12:17 pm

I had a Highlite for several years which was spot on weight-wise. I have just bought a new bag in the temperature range you appear to be seeking - a REI Magma 10 (https://www.rei.com/product/110922/rei-co-op-magma-10-sleeping-bag-mens) which looks pretty good regards workmanship etc. 10F EN rated, pertex shell, 850 water resistant down, 875g. My partner also has an REI down bag which she is happy with. Overall the REI branded gear is very good value for their top end offerings.

Possibly will come on special with the black friday sales in the us - I picked mine up for US$244 - AU$450 with GST and shipping (ShopMate).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi rockpaper, yep, Megalite owner as of a month ago, and zapruda, now also a MF Antelope owner as of about two months ago. Your recommendation was spot on, oh that bbbbuttery zip.
They are true to weight, spot on in fact. Uncannily so. I suppose all that experience. My maker was Elvira!
Rockpaper when doing my research I came across several statements about weight, but they all stemmed from adding the supplied stuff sack to the total which is quite burly and adds "quite a bit"in the scheme of things.
I use an ebay stuff sack weighs about 40 grams and squashes both bags far more (but not stupidly so)than the supplied one and timed (by me) relofts is about 20-30 minutes
The quilt is resting 'til the warm weather it is all Megalite at the moment. Just so much better near zero.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby rockpaper » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi Mark F.
Interesting, i did not think about a branded bag like REI. I'd be interested in yoru opinion after it arrives and you use it. bad timing, being summer and all but...certainly cheaper then the WM bags

Thanks, Lamont. Good to know the weights are right- they're pretty lightweight. our sleeping bag sacks are all light sil-nylon so won't add much. i do need a lighter bag, as well, for summer so...
looks like i'll be ordering one (or maybe check out the REI bags). My wife swears by her WM so...

cheers,
rp
rockpaper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment