Sierra Trading Post Blocked

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sierra Trading Post Blocked

Postby johnrs » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:43 am

Hi Folks
One of my US online stores, Sierra Trading Post has blocked access from Australia./
Quite a shame, good for browsing and the occasional purchase.
Any other suggested alternatives?
Thanks
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sierra Trading Post Blocked

Postby kymboy » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:37 pm

Yes, previously discussed in this thread, John
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28048&hilit=rei
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kymboy » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:48 pm

Just thought I'd add that I was just now able to access the site using a vpn.
Assuming that works for you I guess you could then try to use a forwarding company like shipito.
Kym
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks KB
Now we have to get devious to even look!
Interesting how government regulation/taxation /complexity can inadvertently shut down activity and even communication
John
johnrs

Postby Turfa » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 4:48 pm

I have experienced several issues recently with US companies not accepting Australian Credit cards or even Australian based Paypal accounts. This seems to be something new as it has not been a major problem in the past.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ribuck » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:17 pm

Turfa wrote:This seems to be something new as it has not been a major problem in the past.

Indeed, Turfa. It's due to a change in Australian law. Except for the smallest retailers, overseas retailers are now forbidden from sending parcels to Australia unless they collect the GST and send it to OzGov.

Imagine if you were an overseas retailer and had to deal with the tax laws and procedures of various overseas countries in addition to your own. You would probably find it easier and less costly to just block those orders.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Turfa » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:36 pm

ribuck wrote:
Turfa wrote:This seems to be something new as it has not been a major problem in the past.

Indeed, Turfa. It's due to a change in Australian law. Except for the smallest retailers, overseas retailers are now forbidden from sending parcels to Australia unless they collect the GST and send it to OzGov.

Imagine if you were an overseas retailer and had to deal with the tax laws and procedures of various overseas countries in addition to your own. You would probably find it easier and less costly to just block those orders.

I wasn't actually trying to have the items shipped to Australia. I have relatives in the US and was shipping to them. The purchases were blocked purely because of the Australian card or Paypal account. Maybe they have a blanket block on these regardless of shipping address (or their systems are not sophisticated enough to separate payment source from shipping address)
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:36 pm

Turfa wrote:I wasn't actually trying to have the items shipped to Australia. I have relatives in the US and was shipping to them. The purchases were blocked purely because of the Australian card or Paypal account. Maybe they have a blanket block on these regardless of shipping address (or their systems are not sophisticated enough to separate payment source from shipping address)

Oh no! That's one of the most devious form of geoblocking when the reference is the billing address of the CC. Once upon a time, some mail order stores do that due to the higher rate of fraud with foreign CCs. In the post-911 world and all the latest KYC legislations imposed by the US government on US and most Western financial institutions these days, it's so much more difficult to pick up a US CC/debit card these days ie. Challenging to get around the geoblock. Yes, made it more difficult for those dodgy money, but also made everyone else's life more difficult.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:57 pm

I'll not be using them again but you can get in via a vpn (Itried NZ). And you can get a forwarder to pay if payment gets blocked. Unfortunately STP were only a bargain bin with their 25-30% discount coupons and it doesn't seem like these will work, perhaps have their own blocking(?)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:22 pm

Why do they even bother to isolate themselves so tightly? Any other retailer would know to put up the minimum to maximise their potential sale. Doesn’t make sense unless they are disciples of Trump trade ideology.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:36 pm

You'd think it easy enough to just add an AU surcharge. Maybe there is some obscure political righteousness, they are based in Wyoming..

PS. Code 'HALLOWEEN' gets 31% off at The Clymb
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:58 pm

No, no, no, I certainly understand the cost of implementing an 'AU surcharge' and not for a moment suggesting that they should suffer. What I was suggesting is that they could have just refused shipping to any Australian addresses and be done with it. What they have done with geoblocking CCs with Australian billing address, they have also blocked off all the potential sales of CC owners who have a billing address in Australia eg. Visitors/students to the US, people who's travel b/n the two countries etc. They have effectively closed them off to potential sales that's far greater than what the rules have imposed. Weird!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment