Rossi Ripple boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rossi Ripple boots

Postby trekker76 » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 7:03 am

Folks I am looking to trial a new hot/wet weather 'jungle' boot
The idea is lightweight, unlined, single thickness materials but durable, decent treads for mud and clay, mid or high sided to keep sand out of it, non-waterproof since it will get completely submerged a bit, I get a cobbler to punch eyelets in the sides to drain water on the march.

Was thinking of trying these
https://www.grundysshoes.com.au/product ... 9110155282
https://rossiboots.com.au/product/4047-ripple/....

It is a slightly odd looking boot with a unique tread, and I don't know much about rossi, whether its junk fashion brand or serious maker? I'm also wondering whether that style of neck could be cinched or will it be loose and open when worn? Leather isn't my no.1 choice its slower drying but its a lot better than WP/goretex. One thing is asking the manufacturer whether the stitches are real and the boot isn't just glued together.There are none in the area here, ultimately I'd have to order and return to check sizings so as usual trying to get my head around as much as possible before I do. Feel free to throw an opinion on the shape, brand, style or generally sling crap at the thing :)
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Rossi Ripple boots

Postby johnrs » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 9:04 am

Heh T76
Rossi has been around, solid, traditional construction, from Adelaide I think.
Yes its hard to find single skin leather boots, have a look at the Mulgas and Rossiter models.
I had been using Rebacks Alpines but found their polyurethane sole slippery on wet surfaces,
much prefer a rubber sole.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 10:28 am

Rossi the only Australian manufacturer left.
Sadly neglected by everyone -the government the public and even the Ozie, ozie oi oi oi types the -"most patriotic of Australians" have moved on to the foreign brands.
I have the Mulgas and the black leather desert boots and wear them alternately every day for work and have owned the Ripple soles.
You can not walk/bushwalk/tramp in the Ripples or the desert boots. They are not cut with enough volume to put a inner sole inside and the floor of the boot is hard/f'enhard cork material-it does not mold to your foot-ever!
If you had a low (very) low volume foot and the thinnest of gel inner soles maybe? But I really seriously doubt it.
The ripples will also fill quickly with clay and you will be skating pretty quick.
I have just resoled the Mulgas (the original sole back then was very average and skatey) after 4 years of use-the new sole (Vibram) cost me $65 all up and is far-far better than the original -the boots look only lightly worn.
They have slightly more volume than the two others I mentioned, and you might -(but only might) get an inner sole in, but you will have to wait until they stretch. I have walked in winter about 4 times in the Mulgas about 25ks each time in heavy rain, I wore them as I avoid goretex unless it is cold and dry.In between rain they will dry with the heat of your feet and remain warm and comfy.
I don't think you can kill them, my daughter is wearing her nan's pair from 1980 on the fifth or sixth re-sole.
The price has gone through the roof on the Mulgas (I paid $105) in the last year I think they have become something of a Yuppie shoe. Who would have thought the yuppies would support an Ozie product and the Oi brigade desert them?
For warmer weather for any real time it would be hard going, unless you have a real hot foot tolerance. They do lace up well tho' but you really need to try them on, I would think.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby trekker76 » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks fellas. Cheers lamont that was a wealth of information. Glad I asked here before I bought. I checked out the mulgas they are a great style, that price though $299. Its a bit of out the price range.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes that price, youch (can be had for at least $250 not $299) Rossi boots will not die tho' and the sole can be replaced on all of their shoes/boots-indefinitely, try that with all the disposable shoes elsewhere. Also I bought mine from a shop in Adelaide can't remember which-a men's wearshop.
Bunnings were going to stock a workish Rossi boot, with a much higher internal volume.
Might be worth checking-ring them direct -I did several times, but good old Ozie Bunnings probably went with an overseas model.
Vale Australian manufacturing.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes T76
Get a solid boot and keep resoling, will last for many years!
Cheap in the long run
John
johnrs

Postby trekker76 » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks fellas if can get just a year or two out of them would be good, leather and stitching also has a shelf life here. Can I ask what the weight of them are in your size Lamont. Are these a lightweight or midweight type boot?
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 5:22 pm

Serious maker. Aussie to boot!

I used to go for Rossi when I needed steelcaps. Generally a wider fit.

Once had their Shearers model as a casual shoe. That was late 90s. They had an extra flap of leather to cover the laces. Were very flat/low drop (now I'm into zero drop).
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 7:23 pm

620 grams per boot but no padding, size 9 1/2 but proper 9 1/2 just like when Oz shoes and boots had proper sizes to fit Australian-wide feet-and again it is very hard to get an inner sole in there.
Up in the heat I would really want some good mesh runners.
Try the Rossis on if you really want them.
If you couldn't I would say pass if they are for walking consistently over any distance.
Good luck.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:38 am

If I was ever going to buy leather boots again it would be the Mulga - they are stable and comfortable - narrow heel and wide foot for the australian foot. PLus they are durable and can wear them with jeans without looking like too much of a tool.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 2:25 pm

Lamont wrote:620 grams per boot but no padding, size 9 1/2 but proper 9 1/2 just like when Oz shoes and boots had proper sizes to fit Australian-wide feet-and again it is very hard to get an inner sole in there.
Up in the heat I would really want some good mesh runners.
Try the Rossis on if you really want them.
If you couldn't I would say pass if they are for walking consistently over any distance.
Good luck.

Okay thanks Lamont, really appreciate your summations and advice. I got lucky with this question finding blokes with direct experience of the brand. That weight is okay but I might skip on them as the volume might be an issue. I'd really like to find a good pair of boots though. I use trail runnners for easy walks. Off trail they don't do so well, swamp groundwater degrades all the fine layers and stuff, also crossing sand bars/mangroves mud need something that stays on the foot and keeps crap out. If I could design my own shoe it would be any historical canvas cloth army lightweight boot with chunky rubber treads like the old French palladium. They weigh buggar all, dry easily, very durable, good grip on wet rocks, nothing to go wrong on them. The current Palladium is being marketed as a yuppie boot and seems decent quality but I got unlucky being between sizings, they are quite a narrow boot. There are always plenty of modern combat and jungle boots but I'd prefer not to have 2lbs hanging off each foot.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment