What luxury do you carry "over weight"?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: What luxury do you carry "over weight"?

Postby danman » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:27 pm

crollsurf wrote:A hip flash of spirits. Can get 2 nights out of an 8oz but 1 night is better :) Current favourite is Havana Club Rum.

a nice single malt scotch.... bliss
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Stew63 » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 11:05 am

+1 Helinox Chair Zero. Fabulous.

My base weight is about 5.6kg including my chair. I was very reluctant about buying/adding a 'stupid' chair to my weight - until I got it - it was an epiphany!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 6:52 pm

Stew63 wrote:+1 Helinox Chair Zero. Fabulous.

My base weight is about 5.6kg including my chair. I was very reluctant about buying/adding a 'stupid' chair to my weight - until I got it - it was an epiphany!

After my daughter broke my beloved Helinox Chair Zero on cadet camp (how is that even possible - I weigh twice her weight?) I've decided to upgrade to the 640gm Helinox ChairOne instead - and not let her use it again!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:08 pm

Stew63 wrote:After my daughter broke my beloved Helinox Chair Zero on cadet camp (how is that even possible - I weigh twice her weight?) I've decided to upgrade to the 640gm Helinox ChairOne instead - and not let her use it again!

Next time the Aldi equivalent is for sale buy her one.. for her birthday or Xmas. :wink: She won't forget that way.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:24 pm

Warin wrote:
Stew63 wrote:After my daughter broke my beloved Helinox Chair Zero on cadet camp (how is that even possible - I weigh twice her weight?) I've decided to upgrade to the 640gm Helinox ChairOne instead - and not let her use it again!

Next time the Aldi equivalent is for sale buy her one.. for her birthday or Xmas. :wink: She won't forget that way.

Yes! Actually Warin my wife's extended 'outdoorsy' family overseas loved my Helinox chair SO much (when we visited) we bought 8 of those cheaper Aldi ones last year and sent them back! (They didn't need the lightweight versions - Aldi just as good) And yes I will buy for my kids from Aldi when they come back again - Thanks!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 9:57 pm

My H groundchair at 640g was an awesome luxury. Many a comfy sit. Had a tube join break but was an easy fix to undo and upend it. Later, one of the plastic knuckles blew out beyond repair.

Would probably buy another but looking at an Alite model. Definitely a UL chair is the luxury item to pack ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Fri 15 Feb, 2019 8:04 pm

Not me - but my +1 insists on carrying her Thermarest UltraLite cot (stretcher bed) everywhere on hikes - or she simply won't come. That's her luxury - oh and all her 'other' stuff!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 10:25 am

I suppose another luxury item I have, other than my wiiiide sleep pad already mention earlier in this thread, is my pack.
I think it is a luxury item as I don't like to buy things that I don't need and already had functioning packs. I always try and buy 2nd hand if I can, but this purchase is one I have never regretted. The pack (Osprey Aura 65 AG - with lid off for Summer and lid on for big Winter carries) is heavier and larger capacity than it needs to be for the weight that I carry- but I just love how it feels and fits and it never rubs or creates sore spots. I do own more minimalist packs, but even after 2 days with a light load in either of those less structured packs I notice I have a sore spot or two.
I still managed to satisfy my tightwad ways a little when purchasing as I got it on sale ($160 off rrp ) due to the apparently unappealing colour of it amongst my fellow female consumers. Colour shmolour I say, it fits well, so who cares?

Btw, all this helionox talk has me thinking I am really missing out. I am going to make a nuisance of myself if I ever encounter anyone in the bush with one and ask that I make like goldilocks and try their chair.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Sat 23 Feb, 2019 2:35 pm

Stew63 wrote:
Stew63 wrote:+1 Helinox Chair Zero. Fabulous.

After my daughter broke my beloved Helinox Chair Zero (510gm) on cadet camp (how is that even possible - I weigh twice her weight?) I've decided to upgrade to the 640gm Helinox ChairOne instead - and not let her use it again!

Correction: I upgraded to a Helinox Ground Chair - yes slightly heavier (~640gm) than the Chair Zero (~510gm) - but from my experience I find the legs/frame significantly more stable and robust in comparison and justifies the ~130gm weight sacrifice.

I'm 82kg - but if you're under ~65kg perhaps the Chair Zero legs will be just fine/stable for you - but the legs on the Chair Zero do tend to sink slightly in soft ground - or otherwise splay out a little under weight. The Ground Chair does not have these issues.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment