The lowdown on hiking poles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

The lowdown on hiking poles

Postby trekker76 » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:05 am

I'm considering buying a set of hiking poles for an older friend who is 69 years old and was wondering what to get. She used to enjoy day hiking but has problems walking longer distances these days due to some muscular weakness in the legs from a chronic injury. She still gets around okay and has doctors approval to start doing 1-2 hour walks again. She is 5'4" and the walks would include some flat ground, mild hills and also picking our way along seaside rocks. Taking some of the strain off the legs would be a bonus. I have never used or handled poles and wondered if this is the effect they give? Do they extend a persons hiking distance as well? Thanks for any replies.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: The lowdown on hiking poles

Postby Zapruda » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:31 am

When I use trekking poles I notice a big difference at the end of the day as opposed to when I haven't used them. It can be the difference between a comfortable 40km day or a slog. They are fantastic for balance as well. They shine on the uphills and downhills but are also effective on the flats. Think of them as 4WD for walking.

They are a pain in the scrub though.

If your friend is only walking on mild terrain I would suggest looking at the lightest poles they can afford. They will encounter much less upper body fatigue with lighter ones.

Using them correctly is also crucial. There are plenty of tutorials on the net describing the best methods.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby photohiker » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 9:23 am

Been using PacerPoles for years since around 2009.

The angle of the grips on the poles is different to the rest of them. Best is to test poles before buying them.

https://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-use ... ic-walking

Poles give better stability and move strength to the top of the body. That is why I continue to use them, doing a lot of daily hiking I notice that my upper body and arms are better using the poles.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 9:41 am

Agree on getting the lightest poles within the price range.
Also, if she is just getting back into walking I assume there will be a fair bit of time spent on footpaths so make sure they have (removable) rubber tips. Also remove the snow/sand baskets.
Don’t bother with the shock-absorbing type - the jury is very much out on whether this adds any benefit.
Finally, I find poles to be great going up and down hills plus when the ground is uncertain (eg muddy). I typically don’t use them on the flat or gentle slopes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 10:31 am

Gifting a set of hiking poles is definitely worthwhile for the story of your friend. Apart from energy efficiency, another major benefit for this group is balance. With aging and muscle weakening, proprioception and balance also deteriorate significantly. With a set of hiking poles, your friend will feel much more confident in tackling irregular surfaces and be safer. Fall prevention is a well recognised objective for the senior group and your poles will serve this purpose well.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jdeks » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 11:39 am

Yeah put me on the other end of the spectrum. I've tried 4 different sets of poles, with coaching from various experienced pole-ites, and they've never been more than a burden for me. I've never perceived any benefit in speed or fatigue on good terrain, both short term or multi day, and find them outright counterproductive on difficult/steep stuff. I've got every reason to want to have them - all my shelters are built based on having some. But they've always wound up strapped to my pack or left behind within the first few days.

I am NOT saying they're bad kit! Nor would I ever try and tell someone who does find them usefull to stop. The science behind them has some basis and the real world results support it for many people. My point here is that, like boots, they're very dependent on the person.

Considering the physical condition of your hiking buddy, I'd really advise borrowing a set first, and doing a walk with someone who can teach her how to use them properly. I'm forever seeing people out there tap-tap-tapping their way along the trails with hundreds of dollars of pole they plainly have no idea how to actually use, and just purchased because they read somewhere they magically make walking easier.

If they do make a difference, even just a psychological one, then you've got a baseline to work from to get her the right set, first time.

FWIW, my pop did the coast to coast across england in his 80s without any poles. Nan used em sometimes. My mum, 30 years their junior, used em the whole way and loved em.
Last edited by jdeks on Thu 04 Oct, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby potato » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 1:22 pm

Each to their own when it comes to poles. For me they end up as another bit of expensive gear that either collects dust on the shelf or tied to my pack when I figure I'd give them a go again. At least I now have a nice set of poles when I go skiing in the backcountry.

They haven't really worked for me but I know people who won't go walking without them.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 2:54 pm

If you decide with poles don't go too cheap. Otherwise they most likely won't be strong enough to save you when you lose your balance and you'll find yourself with a broken stick when you needed it most.
Huntsman247

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 3:09 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:If you decide with poles don't go too cheap. Otherwise they most likely won't be strong enough to save you when you lose your balance and you'll find yourself with a broken stick when you needed it most.

Concur, the cheap ones have poor mechanism and are prone to failure or lose grip. Mid-range or above with CF poles being really lovely to use.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 4:47 pm

Although I use carbon fibre poles myself, I would not necessarily recommend them for an frail older person who is doing one or two hour walks.

CF poles are expensive, and save a hundred grams or so, but they're brittle. They fail by snapping, resulting in a fall - not good for a 69 year old. Metal poles are cheaper, stronger, and their failure mode is bending which is less likely to be catastrophic.

The mechanisms of the cheapest poles may not last as long, but at their low price you can just get another pole.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 6:31 pm

ribuck wrote:Although I use carbon fibre poles myself, I would not necessarily recommend them for an frail older person who is doing one or two hour walks.

CF poles are expensive, and save a hundred grams or so, but they're brittle. They fail by snapping, resulting in a fall - not good for a 69 year old. Metal poles are cheaper, stronger, and their failure mode is bending which is less likely to be catastrophic.

The mechanisms of the cheapest poles may not last as long, but at their low price you can just get another pole.
I've got a Montbell CF Stick and it is durable as hell. It's saved many tumbles and I'm definitely am not gentle with it. I've even tried to see how far it will bend and it still didn't fail. But to be fair I think this one's CF over a composite material or something of that nature. Get CF sticks on eBay for 20 bucks and yes they are fragile. But yes CF maybe overkill for a couple hours every now and then given the price tag for a good one.
Huntsman247

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 7:54 pm

ribuck wrote:CF poles are expensive, and save a hundred grams or so, but they're brittle. They fail by snapping, resulting in a fall - not good for a 69 year old. Metal poles are cheaper, stronger, and their failure mode is bending which is less likely to be catastrophic.

This is almost like the paranoia over CF bike frames in the cycling community a decade or so back. A lot of fear mongering on the brittleness to the point of 'exploding' on contact with water. They are so far from the truth with quality CF devices these days. Sure, they are at the top of the price range but value is in the eyes of the beholder. For some an hour of use is sufficient justification for the price. Reality is, CF due to their strength and lightweight, they are ideally suited to the aging.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:23 pm

A pair of poles is great. Takes a little bit of practice to get the rhythm. Then you can really get your arms into the walking if you want.
My first and current pair are Helinox LBB.

Not much good on serious off-track or really narrow bushy tracks though.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:53 pm

Neo wrote:Not much good on serious off-track or really narrow bushy tracks though.

Good for parting branches and spider webs though.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:55 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
Neo wrote:Not much good on serious off-track or really narrow bushy tracks though.

Good for parting branches and spider webs though.

And awesome for pushing through cycads!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks all I think they will be worth a shot. I'll probably buy moderately cheap to start just as we don't have much of a selection in stores. She can test run the concept and if its favorable then upgrade.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:10 pm

I find carrying a pole handy not just for my shelter but for getting up hills, balancing across creeks and logs and stability getting down steeper stuff. Also at the end of the day getting to camp.

I've got a couple of pairs but the Alphenstocks with lever locks on ebay are good and light enough (200g) for ~$40 for a pair
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Section-Alpenstock-Carbon-Telescopic-Nordic-Walking-Hiking-Stick-Trekking-Pole/163292236825?hash=item2604f9cc19:m:mQZEDDcmEFclU9OPTBlgK5A

I'm 110kg and they handle my weight. The chunky locks probably aren't the best look for the fashion conscious though.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:19 am

Thanks crollsurf I ordered them. :)
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment