Pack Choices ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack Choices ?

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 6:24 pm

I'm in the market for a new pack and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I've currently got an Osprey Kestrel 48 which is a bit small for multiday trips, or a Macpac Torre 90 which is a 3.4 kilo monster. I was keen on the Osprey Volt 75 which is only 1.84 kilo for 75 litres of space and relatively cheap, but looking at it in store doesn't seem significantly bigger than my current 48ltr kestrel.

Keeping in mind I like a frame, hipbelt, simple design and it'll probably get packed with a 20kg load occasionally, can anyone suggest other brands or models I should look at ? I looked at Aarn but I don't think that's for me.

It's tempting to try and modify the kestrel for more space but if I can find the right pack hopefully I won't have to !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pack Choices ?

Postby crollsurf » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 6:36 pm

Massdrop have a Granite Gear 60L drop on ATM. Dont know if thats big enough for you.

Really good packs and I'll buy 1 one day just because I love the way they look.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 6:44 pm

crollsurf wrote:Massdrop have a Granite Gear 60L drop on ATM. Dont know if thats big enough for you.

I'm looking at 70-80 ltr so far, just to be sure, but I'll check it out.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:30 pm

You don't mention the cost.
So...one of the forumers here has a Wilderness Threadworks Blackburn 60L, these packs are made for solid carries and can be made to different litreages, not sure of the cost, but built to last-and bomber tough I believe. Check the instagram page pics.
One Planet versions?
Both built in Aus, the OP will be heavier, but not necessarily tougher.
If you are nearly able to use the Kestrel (which wouldn't carry 20kgs would it?) sounds like you don't need 70-80L.
Maybe a Blackburn in 60L might be up your alley.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby trekker76 » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:26 pm

Another side of the coin , the lighter Euro military and expedition packs.
Berghaus Vulcan, 2.9kg at 100L, 1000D material, internal frame with two side pockets that combine into a 20L daypack. With the pouches detached its an 80L pack and about 2.4KG. I've had one about 7 years which is longer than any pack has lasted me here. Not cheap though mine was about $360 shipped and obviously not for everyone its your typical bomb proof load carrier.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Al M » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 1:01 am

The latest Karrimor are nice and also Wlderness Equipment from ther website using canvas. Some good used Arcteryx in Gumtree ATM.

For wider afield reviews https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ackpacking

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-b ... -backpacks
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 5:57 am

For durable and lightweight you could consider HMG packs. The 4400 south wester could fit the bill.

70L internal +9L external pockets.
1kg weight and highly water resistant.

They have an extensive customer review and FAQ section. Several people commenting that the pack is highly durable and comfortable with big (20kg+) load.

I know a couple of people who use them in aussie offtrack conditions and have been happy with the durability so far.

Pack is not cheap though...

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/4 ... tabs_specs
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnesy » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:51 am

I’ve got the gossamer gear Mariposa. Lovely lightweight pack, 60l and I’ve carried 28kgs in it on a couple of trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:52 am

osprey aether or aether pro
i like lowe alpine pack designs, that range is worth considerring if you see any...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:16 am

Lamont wrote:You don't mention the cost.
If you are nearly able to use the Kestrel (which wouldn't carry 20kgs would it?) sounds like you don't need 70-80L.

I only managed a single overnight trip in the middle of summer with the kestrel. I'm lightening all my gear slowly but I think I'm still looking for 70+ litres to be on the safe side. Cost is another whole issue. I was hoping to spend $250 max but I already know that it's worth buying the best pack I can find or I might as well just keep using the heavy one !

Thanks for the suggestions guys and I'll go through them all more carefully this evening.

To clarify I'm looking for something 70-80 litres, and under 2Kg. It seems like everything is either very light but max 60 litres and little support, or quite heavy and huge. The most recommended packs are still Osprey (Atmos / Aether) but they have a lot of pockets and junk that I don't need. The harnesses are good though, so maybe I can cut one down a bit ?

The Wilderness Threadworks Blackburn is 85 litres for 1.75 kg and looks great, but it's $580 aus before shipping :shock:
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:18 am

I have had a HMG porter for about 4 years. Very happy. If I got one again I,d pay extra for a thicker base and just the rear mesh pocket which would fit a light jacket and drink bottle. Worth the cost. Carries a load well and comfortable. Near waterproof thought I do use a light drybag when swimming with it.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:50 am

ULA Catalyst? I'm still trying to work out how I can scrounge the money to get myself one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby LachlanB » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:39 pm

north-north-west wrote:ULA Catalyst? I'm still trying to work out how I can scrounge the money to get myself one.

I looked that up: $360, 1.3kg, 18kg load, 75L volume. What's the catch, apart from shipping from the US (and the cost)?

You can even get your name embroidered on it if that suits...
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 3:04 pm

Lightweight gear is seldom as robust as the heavier duty stuff, but this one is about as hard-wearing as possible while still being light. Cost is the only issue for me.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 3:33 pm

LachlanB wrote:
north-north-west wrote:ULA Catalyst? I'm still trying to work out how I can scrounge the money to get myself one.

I looked that up: $360, 1.3kg, 18kg load, 75L volume. What's the catch, apart from shipping from the US (and the cost)?

I had a look through the 'fine print' and although it actually looks like the perfect pack, the breakdown of volume:
TOTAL VOLUME: 4,600 CU IN | 75 L
Breakdown (Cu In):
Main Body: 2,600
Front Mesh Pocket: 600
Left Side Mesh Pocket: 350
Right Side Mesh Pocket: 350
Exterior Collar: 600
Left Hipbelt Pocket: 100
Right Hipbelt Pocket: 100

Which looks like ~42 litres for the main compartment, which is tiny !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 3:56 pm

Do a search on images. It's big enough.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey Casualnerd, that's a great moniker by the way, the best way to determine your true needs is to stick all your stuff you will use in a box flatten it a bit and mark on the box. Take the cubic measurements and you will have an accurate litreage. Then if you want to allow some tolerance allow that. That Blackburn you allude to 80L will be close to the the internal cavity -it is huge-check out the pics, it is for packrafting I believe.
There is also a 60L and a 70L they are roll tops so expand upwards and feedback on VX42 seems very good.
You would need not only a frame but possibly a frame sheet as well wouldn't you? The Blackburn can do that.
The linked ULA would cost more than the Blackburn wouldn't it?
Will any Osprey carry 20 kgs, none of them show that weight in their specs that I have come across.
You are talking spending more than that budget if you want lightweight (under 200) and bigger spondoolicks for ULish.
The Hanchor Marble, the bigger of the two, out of Taiwan and Marle have fantastic reps (visiting"bushwalker Dan Durston" is a big supporter and other people over on BPL that hunt and carry dead animals and that stuff) for carrying big weights. New models came out a couple of months ago. Built like a brick you know what and about 1.1kgs and the pricing seems very competitive.
The ULA sacks seem very well respected, but 20 kgs, I don't think anyone has said they regularly carry 20kgs with one, have they?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 5:02 pm

Having more of a dig around, the Wilderness Threadworks packs have been mentioned here before: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19187 and they look really good. Even a shoulder strap pocket that fits a camelback drink bottle. Looks like there used to be a 70Ltr Blackburn so maybe that's an option. The price is pretty steep though, and makes me consider a MYOG pack, but it's a big project !

I just searched the Hanchor https://www.hanchor.com/products/Outdoo ... ?locale=en and it looks pretty nice. I think Xpac is the lightest fabric I will consider.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 5:13 pm

"Looks like there used to be a 70Ltr Blackburn so maybe that's an option". -There is a 60 and 70 version. Check with the maker Dan about the 20ks.
I have a WT Luxmore. Crollsurf a Sonder and another forumer does at least. Quality is outstanding.
Put "Dan Durston intocascadia hanchor" into googlo.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 5:26 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I'm in the market for a new pack and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
(...)
It'll probably get packed with a 20kg load occasionally
(...)
It's tempting to try and modify the kestrel for more space but if I can find the right pack hopefully I won't have to !

Out of curiosity what do you have that makes up the 20kg load, and what's your normal equipment?

It might be easier to modify your usual equipment to bring it down to a load that the Kestrel can handle, rather than modifying the Kestrel? And then keep the Macpac pack for the occasional time you have to carry 20kg?

That way you avoid buying a pack you're not keen on, and get the option of a lighter pack.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:10 pm

LachlanB wrote:Out of curiosity what do you have that makes up the 20kg load, and what's your normal equipment?

I was hoping no one would ask this :lol: I've never actually done a full weigh in of my gear, I'm just tackling the pack replacement as it's probably the single biggest weight saving I can achieve as i can probably shave 1.5Kg off the pack weight alone. I mostly walk solo so even though I have some reasonably light gear, none of it is ultralight and none of it gets shared out.

I got a quilt already this year which saves me 400gm off my summer sleeping bag and more than 1.5kg off my winter bag, and seeing the size difference got me thinking about the pack situation.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:35 am

you need to understand how comfortable or uncomfortable a pack is going to be for the weight you carry, ideally with an ultralight pack , as much of your gear is ultralight as possible, the packs arent as comfortable when the gear weight gets up. ultralighters focus is on saving weight and they will put up with less comfort to go ultralight, although someone will argue there isnt much if any sacrifice, i have tried and don like ultralight packs. they arent for everyone. no point saving weight if you're spending long hours wearing a pack that you find you're not that happy with the comfort, a lot of ultralight packs dont have frames in them, if you're not used to a frameless pack, it takes some getting used to and you may never really be that enthused about using them.
take the mesh sleeve pockets, far more prone to catching on foliage and getting damaged that sheet fabric pockets....
i accepting ultralight designs are valid and accept that a lot of people are very happy with that choice, but my experience is, not everyone is, its a choice people need to make. i like carrying extra bells and whistles on my trips, i feel the cold and need heavier gear to cope with that and i like to take a heavy camera and other electronics for things to do when i'm not walking, and i like a pack that i'm comfortable that carries the extra weight comfortably to my level of satisfaction, but i'm not walking the long hours and miles that a lot of ultralighters do and i'd struggle to do so with the extra weight i have... but thats not the purpose of my trips,
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:28 am

Wayno, what pack do you use, and what does it weigh?

The weight of packs have reduced over time as the manufacturers have improved their designs and materials. The light packs were started by small personal manufacturers and the main manufacturers have moved forward. Now, there are much lighter packs with or without frames and good designs.

The original packs I used around the 1970’s was made with strong heavy frames and thick canvas, the designs were stronger rather than comfortable. The engineering of packs has moved way forward since then and will continue allowing even more comfortable and light packs over time.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:48 am

I use modern packs, black diamond , axiom 40 1.2kg, infinity 1.7 kilos. and a mercury 75 2.2 kilos. i've had an osprey aether.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:07 am

photohiker wrote:The weight of packs have reduced over time as the manufacturers have improved their designs and materials. The light packs were started by small personal manufacturers and the main manufacturers have moved forward. Now, there are much lighter packs with or without frames and good designs.

The original packs I used around the 1970’s was made with strong heavy frames and thick canvas...

Do people think this improvement trajectory can continue in the coming decades? Or have we hit a plateau in weight and design?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:34 am

Some interesting durable and light weight (not ultra) packs from these guys. Based on external frame and designed to carry heavier loads than the usual light weight packs. Can get them in super tough and water resistant x pac fabric (two choices based on durability required). And rare for light weight.. a lifetime warranty

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacking-packs/

Review - https://sectionhiker.com/seek-outside-g ... ck-review/
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:06 am

GPSGuided wrote:
photohiker wrote:The weight of packs have reduced over time as the manufacturers have improved their designs and materials. The light packs were started by small personal manufacturers and the main manufacturers have moved forward. Now, there are much lighter packs with or without frames and good designs.

The original packs I used around the 1970’s was made with strong heavy frames and thick canvas...

Do people think this improvement trajectory can continue in the coming decades? Or have we hit a plateau in weight and design?

Will it drop from kilograms? Nup. But will continue to improve over time with design quality, strength, material improvements etc.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:18 am

you'd need radical new materials to be developed to reduce weights a lot further.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:06 pm

photohiker wrote:Wayno, what pack do you use, and what does it weigh?

The weight of packs have reduced over time as the manufacturers have improved their designs and materials. The light packs were started by small personal manufacturers and the main manufacturers have moved forward. Now, there are much lighter packs with or without frames and good designs.

The original packs I used around the 1970’s was made with strong heavy frames and thick canvas, the designs were stronger rather than comfortable. The engineering of packs has moved way forward since then and will continue allowing even more comfortable and light packs over time.

Depends on enviromment and purpose. In general since the 1970's sure.And if your purpose is walking from point A to point B in a few days there have been a lot of lighter ways to do it. For load bearing, expeditioning, heavy use though its often still internal frames and the same 500/1000D nylons they marketed 30 years ago.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:11 pm

wayno wrote:you'd need radical new materials to be developed to reduce weights a lot further.

Is there still much room to move in terms of material? It's already near transparent.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Equipment