Pack Choices ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack Choices ?

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
wayno wrote:you'd need radical new materials to be developed to reduce weights a lot further.

Is there still much room to move in terms of material? It's already near transparent.

in theory yes, you have graphene which is extremely strong and light and atoms thick and can be used like a fabric but it hasnt been developed enough to be cost effective on its own, it gets combined with other materials at present. its been around for years but its difficult to manufacture and real progress hasnt been made to ramp up its production cost effectively.
carbon fibre doesnt seem to be used much in pack frames , that could save weight... but it can be brittle.. a lot of manufacturers have steered clear of cuben fibre or been very cautious about its adoption, its not as resiliant to abrasion as nylon, and its a lot more expensive and difficult to sew..
the lightest denier of nylon is at the limit of what the milling machines can deal with to create fabric without breaking the thread.. and then there's the issue about its durability.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:50 pm

There is actually very little fabric in a basic pack - about 1 sq metre so going light on the fabric is not going to save a heap of weight. The weight in packs comes from frame, webbing, buckles, pockets, zips etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Pack Choices ?

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:05 pm

Mark F wrote:There is actually very little fabric in a basic pack - about 1 sq metre so going light on the fabric is not going to save a heap of weight. The weight in packs comes from frame, webbing, buckles, pockets, zips etc.

Yes, this makes sense. It’s a completely different set of development. Replacing the heavy canvas all those years ago was the big leap.
Last edited by GPSGuided on Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby trekker76 » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:32 pm

whatever they come up with next it will probably be sold 10-14% more expensive than what we are currently using and have item life engineered for similar rate of replacement. Not many price breakthroughs these days from corporations. :roll:
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Orion » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 4:37 am

My old 75 liter pack weighed 1.7kg. It had to be retired a year and a half ago. So I went looking for a replacement and discovered that nobody made the pack that I wanted. I found large packs that were heavier, even when the volume was less. They invariably included features I found unnecessary while at the same time lacking things I desired.

My old pack was pretty simple. A big, framed main compartment and a floating lid with pockets. That's basically it. Why couldn't I find a version of this pack with some modern improvements?

I almost bought one pack. I had a list of modifications for it: Removing a zipper, adding a pocket, fixing the way the lid was attached, and even using a hacksaw to cut away the part of the frame that pushed the pack away from my back.

But then I thought -- wait a minute. It's probably easier to just make a pack from scratch. Well, maybe that's not true. What I ended up doing was pulling the stitches from my twenty year old pack and completely disassembling it. Then recreating it with brand new fabric and materials. I was surprised at how complicated it was. There were dozens of fabric pieces. It took months and I didn't really save money. I spent over $100 on various foams trying to find the right ones.

But eventually I had my old pack again, reborn. By sheer coincidence it ended up weighing within 1 gram of the original spec. I like my new pack. I have some pride in my work. But I really didn't want to make a pack. I was hoping to just go buy one, preferably one that improved upon my older pack. But I couldn't find that pack anywhere.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:00 am

Orion wrote:My old 75 liter pack weighed 1.7kg. It had to be retired a year and a half ago. So I went looking for a replacement and discovered that nobody made the pack that I wanted. I found large packs that were heavier, even when the volume was less. They invariably included features I found unnecessary while at the same time lacking things I desired.

Knowing it's possible to make my own pack is so tempting, but I already know it will join my other half finished projects cluttering up the house :? Nice work recreating the pack you wanted !

At the moment I can't find a better option than the osprey Volt 75 litre, but I'm really close to ordering the massdrop GG Crown 60. It's smaller than I was hoping, but at such a reasonable price I'd like to make it work - I just don't want to end up carrying my tent strapped to the outside :roll: The idea that I could shave more than 2kg just off the weight of my pack is incredibly enticing.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby davidf » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 4:50 pm

Stop using a tent?
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 4:59 pm

davidf wrote:Stop using a tent?

depends how many biting insects are around at night.. a lot of places i wouldnt be caught dead without a tent, i'd never get any sleep, just the sound of mozzies close to your head is bad enough
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 6:27 pm

I bit the bullet and ordered the Granite Gear Crown on Massdrop. I'm really not sure if it's the answer to my particular situation, but I decided I might as well aim for the best case scenario, and if it doesn't work out it's less outlay than most packs in that class.

I made a few lists on lighterpack and compared to a year ago, this pack and a few other gear purchases have shaved almost 5 Kg off my pack/mat/sleeping bag/jacket... So there's a good chance I'll join the lightweight ranks soon enough, and with a few more upgrades I'm hoping 60 litres is plenty.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 7:40 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Is there still much room to move in terms of material? It's already near transparent.

There will be but it couldn't be as dramatic as we have seen over recent years, where packs have gone from 2kg+ to under 500g
We're talking grams now, not kilograms
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 7:44 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I bit the bullet and ordered the Granite Gear Crown on Massdrop. I'm really not sure if it's the answer to my particular situation, but I decided I might as well aim for the best case scenario, and if it doesn't work out it's less outlay than most packs in that class.

I made a few lists on lighterpack and compared to a year ago, this pack and a few other gear purchases have shaved almost 5 Kg off my pack/mat/sleeping bag/jacket... So there's a good chance I'll join the lightweight ranks soon enough, and with a few more upgrades I'm hoping 60 litres is plenty.

Once you get UL you should be able to get 5-10 days (without resupply) no worries. Must say I'm a little bit jealous. Enjoy
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pulseevents » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:45 pm

Imo. Consider comfort over weight. (Too a point) once yoh find a pack that sits right with a harness that fits right an extra few grams here or there are irrelevant.
I found my utopia in a OP pack and i dont even feel like i have had 20+ kilos on my back after long days now. Gone the dread of putting pack back on after lunch stop and no more lower back aches.
It really comes down to horses for courses and budget but a wise man once said that a poor man pays twice
Good luck and i hope you find your utopia.
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 3:54 am

pulseevents wrote:Imo. Consider comfort over weight. (Too a point) once yoh find a pack that sits right with a harness that fits right an extra few grams here or there are irrelevant.
I found my utopia in a OP pack and i dont even feel like i have had 20+ kilos on my back after long days now. Gone the dread of putting pack back on after lunch stop and no more lower back aches.
It really comes down to horses for courses and budget but a wise man once said that a poor man pays twice
Good luck and i hope you find your utopia.

I agree, there comes a point where cutting weight can be counter productive.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:24 am

pulseevents wrote:It really comes down to horses for courses and budget but a wise man once said that a poor man pays twice

I make this mistake often enough :roll:

In the end it was $170 including shipping so it's not as big a risk as buying a very expensive lightweight pack. It's been shipped already so hopefully I'll find out soon enough, and it's a bit of encouragement to cut down on my carried weight overall.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:06 am

I wonder if I could make one of those work. It's a well-designed, well-made, light pack, although I doubt it can carry the weight I pack when the camera gear is included.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 11:51 am

north-north-west wrote:I wonder if I could make one of those work. It's a well-designed, well-made, light pack, although I doubt it can carry the weight I pack when the camera gear is included.

Just wait 6 months in case I can't make it work and put it up for sale :lol:
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 12:51 pm

Or I could try to meet you somewhere when you're using it and try it on. Did you get the big or the regular?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 1:18 pm

north-north-west wrote:Or I could try to meet you somewhere when you're using it and try it on. Did you get the big or the regular?

I got the large. Short was sold out anyway, but by my measurement I'm just over the 21" torso. I think the non-massdrop version might have different sizing anyway, and massdrop was supposed to be finished that sale now. Either way you're welcome to try it on when it arrives.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 4:36 pm

It'll be too big. I'm a shortarse. But the pack does look possible. 15kg load is fine for a week or so in summer, except for the camera/lenses.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment