Solo tent for alpine Tassie with tall inner?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Solo tent for alpine Tassie with tall inner?

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a tall-torso-ed friend who is looking to buy her first tent. While she is unlikely to do much winter snow camping, she is enthusiastically collecting Abels. So she's likely to meet some Weather from time to time. A high priority for her is plenty of headroom - preferably being able to sit up without touching the inner. This is not a feature I've needed to focus on before. I figured there are probably folks out there who have researched this relatively recently, or who have such a tent. She does hit the inner in a Microlight and an Akto. Thanks for any thoughts.
Edit: she sleeps cold, so would need a solid inner, at least more than halfway up the walls.
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Solo tent for alpine Tassie with tall inner?

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:14 pm

She might have too go for a mid. I doubt anything else would guarantee no head contact.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:17 pm

north-north-west wrote:She might have too go for a mid. I doubt anything else would guarantee no head contact.

Hmm, good thought. I'd temporarily forgotten about mids.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm

Tarp tent bowfin 1.

Bucket loads of headroom when sitting up. Its comfortable to spend a day in during a rain event and you can cook in the vestible (by 1 person standards)

Weather... well guyed out and orientated to the wind, it would probably do alright. Depends on how much weather your talking about. Tarp tent does state its wind worthy and can handle light to moderate snow loading.but its not a Akto.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:26 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Tarp tent bowfin 1.

Bucket loads of headroom when sitting up. Its comfortable to spend a day in during a rain event and you can cook in the vestible (by 1 person standards)

Weather... well guyed out and orientated to the wind, it would probably do alright. Depends on how much weather your talking about. Tarp tent does state its wind worthy and can handle light to moderate snow loading.

Thanks, WW. That looks perfect for headroom. Trouble is that she sleeps cold, so would need a solid inner. Sorry I forgot to mention that bit.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 12:29 pm

Tortoise wrote:
wildwanderer wrote:Tarp tent bowfin 1.

Weather... well guyed out and orientated to the wind, it would probably do alright. Depends on how much weather your talking about. Tarp tent does state its wind worthy and can handle light to moderate snow loading.

Thanks, WW. That looks perfect for headroom. Trouble is that she sleeps cold, so would need a solid inner. Sorry I forgot to mention that bit.

You can get a partial solid inner for it.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:02 pm

You can get a partial solid inner for it.

*Face palm* Thanks! I missed that. I think I'd better go and do some hard physical work before I try more brain work. :roll:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:51 am

There are conflicting reports on the interior height of the Akto, from user reported 86 cm to the 93 cm on the official specs.
The Bowfin is listed at 99cm in one place and 102cm in another but yest it is about 1m high.
Have a look at the "usable room" clip on the product page.
The dummy is a well proportioned 6' tall (no extra long legs or torso...) the mat he is on is 3cm high.
Bowfin 1.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:01 am

One Planet Goondie are higher than most tents. I find i have plenty of room to sit up in mine.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:08 am

Agree on the OP Goondie.....I'm 6'2" and have no issues sitting in my Goondie 2. I recall that my Tarptent Scarp 1 was nice and tall in the middle and sitting up without hitting the inner wasn't a problem either. Both these tents have a "solid inner" as an option. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:26 am

There is a S/H Goondie1P for sale on GearFreak at the moment; seller is asking too much but may well be negotiable as the tent is missing the pole set and those are $180- direct from OP
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gearfre ... 8473903103
I think $200- would be a fair price given that you would have to run around to get a new pole set
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:42 am

The Scarp 1 has about the same headroom as the Bowfin but more sideway and less back and forth (pole direction...)
The Goondie 2 is nominally 1 or 2 cm shorter.
The Goondie 1 is about 5 cm shorter than the TT , so a bit more headroom than the Akto.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LachlanB » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 10:02 am

Another vote for OP Goondie 1; I'm 195cm (6'5"?) tall and can still sit up in it happily.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby legend » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 1:43 pm

Also check out the Tarptent Notch. I am 6'2" and find it a good tent to sit out extended 'bad' days. I am also a cold sleeper and find the semi solid inner works well.
It has two vestibules and very light (770gm), has an internal height of 109cm.
Of the other Tarptents I have owned the Stratospire 1 is also fantastic with two huge vestibules and can sleep two if needed.
It can also be purchased with a solid interior.
It has an internal height of 110cm and weighs 1020gm.
Both tents use walking poles, but you can buy poles to fit as required (add extra wight).
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 4:24 pm

We have some bowfins tortoise, welcome to have a squizz. Iv'e only pitched and sealed them and that but from what iv'e seen, personally wouldn't be my first choice for tassie alpine (anywhere exposed to strong wind).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks, one and all. Your input is much appreciated. Nuts, I'll see if she's interested in checking out a Bowfin. Thanks very much for the offer. I'm trying to convince her that one tent won't fit all situations. And as she has a son who is very keen to get into overnighters too, it wouldn't be waste of money to dive in, even if it's not the perfect tent for every situation. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:51 am

Franco wrote:There are conflicting reports on the interior height of the Akto, from user reported 86 cm to the 93 cm on the official specs.

I've measured a Hilleberg Enan which is supposedly identical in dimensions to the Akto. It's peak height was 91cm.

Franco wrote:The Bowfin is listed at 99cm in one place and 102cm in another but yest it is about 1m high...
...The Scarp 1 has about the same headroom as the Bowfin but more sideway and less back and forth (pole direction...)

My Scarp 1 measures 99cm at the peak. I'm about 181cm tall (male) and measure 94cm when sitting upright on a fully inflated Neoair pad. But I can't sit up in the Scarp without brushing the ceiling with my head because the height of the inner decreases from the peak too quickly. I might be able to get away with it if I deflated my pad, took off my fuzzy hat, and shaved my head.

Another key measurement, in my view, is the height of the person when laying down and propped up on an elbow. It's nice if your head doesn't hit the ceiling in that case as well. The advent of modern, thicker pads has made this a more challenging requirement.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CaptainC » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:16 pm

the Hilleberg Soulo is a 1 person tent with higher head room than the Akto. 95 cm. Of course it's expensive like all Hillebergs.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks very much, everyone. Lots of helpful info to pop into the decision pot. Just FYI, she's just bought a Goondie.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment