macpac microlight 1

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

macpac microlight 1

Postby Tastrippa » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:45 pm

title says it all.....is it a worthy investment? was thinking a msr hubba but the macpac seems more "tougher"
I have a long way to go....lucky I'm already here!
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: macpac microlight 1

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:26 pm

I considered a few one man tents but went with the Hubba NX1, because it's lighter (1.3kg vs 1.6kg), and looks like it has a little more open headroom at the top where the crossing pole keeps it out.

That said, I think the microlight has a little more interior floor space because off the offset corner, and it can be setup integrally, which is an awesome feature.

Keep in mind if you're in Tassie that the MSR can be picked up from Stefan in Hobart for $500.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tastrippa » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have messaged Stefan about the msr and have seen the setup in find your feet, I like the multi pitch option in the macpac and the floor seems a lot more durable also a lot less mesh on the inner hence the added weight I suppose, was sortie hoping someone might own one and reply with a resounding yes they are great! to back up my amateurish belief that this is a good one man tent for tassie conditions
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 3:11 pm

re the microlight: having the one long pole going lengthways you have to watch how you pitch it if its windy, you dont want a cross wind. it doesnt stand up to high wind as well as multi pole tents, having tensioned guy lines becomes extra important.
thers not a lot of room to do much inside , just enough for the sleeping bag and not much else. if you like a roomy tent, keep looking..
it is light and packs down reasonably small.
macpac put decent floors in their tents since NZ is such a wet place, the floors need to be waterproof.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby johnrs » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 6:55 pm

Good little tent if you are under 6 ft.
Definitely tougher and more stable in wind than the Hubba NX
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tastrippa » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks all, went with the macpac. They happily set one up in store and I was sold pretty quick! Should be a good tent I hope, plenty of room inside for my small self and gear if needed, and really surprised at vestibule space for 1man tent...it's got some good reviews and was pointed out on one of them that either the short or long end of the outer opening can be used as vestibule which is a bonus..hopefully not long before I can test it out
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment