Mont Moondance 2 vs OP Goondie 2 vs WE Space 2

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Which tent do you rate the best?

Mont Moondance 2
38%
One Planet Goondie 2
38%
Wilderness Equipment Space 2
25%

Total votes : 8

Mont Moondance 2 vs OP Goondie 2 vs WE Space 2

Postby JCB81 » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a new tent for myself and occasionally with my partner to share. I work in outdoor ed/guiding and have some specific requirements which have led me to these tents, these are:

2 man size - To have all gear with me inside minus backpack.
Full nylon inner - I sleep very cold
Weight - No more than 2.5KG
Freestanding
3 season/sub alpine
Aus made - Replacement parts potentially easier to source

Below I have compared the 3 tents. For the moment I have put price aside. If you have used any of these tents I would love to hear feedback to help me make up my mind? Even better if you have used more than one. I have also included a poll with this post, so please feel free to vote.

Mont Moondance, Full Nylon (New model to be released shortly)
Weight = 2.1KG
Dimensions = 220cm(L) X 130cm(W) X 130cm(W) X 101cm(H)
Vestibules = 57cm wide each, probably a bit more vertical height than the old version, due to the new extended ridge pole.
Fly = 30D 2000mm
Inner = 20D
Floor = 40D 10,000mm
https://www.mont.com.au/moondance-2-fn-tent-bracken (old tent now discontinued)

One Planet Goondie 2 30D, Full Nylon
Weight = 2KG
Dimensions = 230cm(L) X 120cm(W) X 100cm (W) X 98cm(H)
Vestibules = 85cm wide each
Fly = 30D 1300mm - Told by a rep
Inner = ? probably about 20D
Floor = 100D 5,000mm
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... /goondie2/

Wilderness Equipment Space 2, Winter
Weight = 2KG
Dimensions = 210cm(L) X 130cm(W) X 110cm (W) X 109cm(H)
Vestibules = 60cm wide each
Fly = 30D 3000mm
Inner = 20D
Floor = 40D 5,000mm
http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detai ... =SPACE%202
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mont Moondance 2 vs OP Goondie 2 vs WE Space 2

Postby Zapruda » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 2:36 pm

I have been using the Goondie 2 with solid inner extensively for the past 6 months and am very happy with it. Its been on several trips to the snow, some very windy nights on the Main Range and Jagungal , a 6 day Thredbo to Canberra walk, and various outings all over the state. I generally use Ultralight shelters made out of DCF but have been very Impressed with the performance of the Goondie despite the weight.

Pros
- Easy to setup
- Roomy for one (cosy but workable for 2)
- Durable
- Full length crossing poles. The Moondance does not have these and it is a big part of the reason I avoided it.
- Decent size vestibules for gear and cooking in the rain.

Cons
- Heavy
- The Poly fly holds on to water a lot more than Sil or Cuben.
- I hate the Velcro attachment between the outer and the poles to make the guylines effective.

Some pics on it in action -

I think all of these tents are made in either Vietnam or China not Australia.

I don't believe you can go wrong with any if these tents.

Good luck
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby JCB81 » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback Zapruda, nice Insta pics and timelapse! The vestibules on the Goondie are definitely much bigger than the other 2.

Do you find the floor waterproof enough, strength wise its obviously the best but the waterproof rating isn't as high as the Moondance?

Cheers

James
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks!

I haven't had a problem at all with the floor and doubt I will. I camp mostly on soft tussock in the alpine and only occasionally on rock in the Budawangs. I cant see water ever coming through.

I have had 15d Sil and really light DCF floors in some shelters never had any problems. Anecdotal, of course.

As long as you pitch somewhere that drains well most tent floors will do fine.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 6:18 pm

I believe none of the tents are made here. The Goondie certainly isn't.
I would echo what Zapruda said having been the owner of both a One person in 15D Green and the Two person in 30D Orange. Bomber tents.
For me the weight was the biggest and maybe only down side for my non alpine requirements at the time I owned them and why I sold them eventually. Huge vestibules and the floor is tough 70D (last I heard -not 100D) and what I think contributes quite heavily to it's weight. Never used mine on the snow, but in very strong wind -they moved not much at all. Can even be split easily between two people.
I liked that I could carry the tent divvied up in 3 parcels (poles and pegs,outer, inner) and place them around the rucksack.
Just be mindful that if you plan on using two wide mats @65 cms that it might not work in some or all of these tents.
Sorry no experience with the others.
Good hunting.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby JCB81 » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks Lamont. I didn't word it very well, I didn't mean to say the tents were made in Aus, but designed by Aus companies. I don't think any Aus companies make their own tents here.

What did you buy instead, curious to know as weight is my main issue too?
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 8:28 am

I owned a Goondie 2 30D with nylon inner, great tent. Purchased it for my eldest son to get him out doing some overnighters with me. Floor was SUPER heavy duty and it was extremely spacious, an utter palace for one. 2 would be more of a squeeze than I would like personally, unless I was sharing with one of my younger children <12 years old as I have a wide mat and there wouldn't be much room left for the second person. It had seen some decent use before I got it, but One Planet were outstanding and gave the seams a good going over for me for a very low cost- they couldn't have been more helpful- so from a customer service perspective, they are excellent in my opinion.

I have since sold it on (to a fellow forum member) due to it's weight being higher than necessary for a solo user in the conditions we experience. It served it's purpose and got my 21yo absolutely hooked on coming out overnight with me when his work allows, so he either uses my BA Rattlesnake SL1, or we share a 'mid. Mind you, he did lament the lack of space in the BA compared to the Goondie :lol:

I was out earlier in the year and saw someone with a Goondie1 and it was a very spacious 1p tent, it had two vestibules, although the second vestibule just has a little half moon zipper flap to access it. He was very nice and let me have a look at his tent and I have to say it was impressive. I think those come in around ?1.5kg? off the top off my head depending on whether you go the Sil or Polyester.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm

JCB
These are all very good tents with good after sales service.
try then buy the one you most like.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby LachlanB » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 2:01 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I was out earlier in the year and saw someone with a Goondie1 and it was a very spacious 1p tent, it had two vestibules, although the second vestibule just has a little half moon zipper flap to access it. He was very nice and let me have a look at his tent and I have to say it was impressive. I think those come in around ?1.5kg? off the top off my head depending on whether you go the Sil or Polyester.

Yeah I think my Goondie 1 comes in at around 1.7kg, although I've got the heaviest version I think. Not the lightest one person tent around, but IMO a good compromise between durability, size, weight and cost.

It's a fabulously spacious tent for one person I find. The two vestibules give me more than enough space to spread all my stuff out, and the inner is big enough that I can keep critical stuff like dry clothes and my DSLR inside. If you'd be willing to forgo having all your gear inside with you, it would be a good option.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LachlanB » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 2:02 pm

Aargh, double post. Love my fantastic internet. :cry:
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JCB81 » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 2:37 pm

I have thought about a 1 man tent, but every time I go in one, they just feel too cramped. I guess I have just become too used to 2 man tents!!
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LachlanB » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 4:41 pm

JCB81 wrote:I have thought about a 1 man tent, but every time I go in one, they just feel too cramped. I guess I have just become too used to 2 man tents!!

Not trying to pressure you :)

Depending on what type of 1p tent you'd looked at, you might find the 1p versions of the three tents above a different beast. They're all free-standing tents with a high roof and and a steep wall at both ends. Makes them much more open and friendlier than small tunnel tents and the like.

Personally, if I had to go for one of the three options you have above, it'd be the Goondie. Mostly because it's slightly cheaper, and has two crossed poles. But as John and Zapruda both said, they'll all do the trick. Dunno what the deal is with a new model Moondance, but if you choose it and can wait 6 months, it might be cheaper at the Mont sale.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sambar358 » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 9:25 am

I bought M-Mudd's OP Goondie 2 (Mk 1) 30D/Nylon inner a while ago and have used it twice solo and so far it's done very well......was rained and snowed on both times and plenty of wind as well and no issues at all keeping me snug & dry. Normally for my winter BP hunting trips I use a Macpac Minaret solo so have found the lighter weight of the Goondie 2 a plus as are the two large vestibules for storage and cooking under & no need to take my 9X9 sil tarp with the Goondie 2 as well. It has a good solid tub floor so no footprint required either, nice and roomy for one but it'd be a big tight 2-up as are all LW "2 person" rated tents. My only addition was to add a line-lock tie-out mid-way at the base of the foot and head fly side panels to stop these panels flapping a bit in the wind. So for me......a thumbs-up for the Goondie 2. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JCB81 » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 11:24 am

sambar358 wrote:I bought M-Mudd's OP Goondie 2 (Mk 1) 30D/Nylon inner a while ago and have used it twice solo and so far it's done very well......was rained and snowed on both times and plenty of wind as well and no issues at all keeping me snug & dry. Normally for my winter BP hunting trips I use a Macpac Minaret solo so have found the lighter weight of the Goondie 2 a plus as are the two large vestibules for storage and cooking under & no need to take my 9X9 sil tarp with the Goondie 2 as well. It has a good solid tub floor so no footprint required either, nice and roomy for one but it'd be a big tight 2-up as are all LW "2 person" rated tents. My only addition was to add a line-lock tie-out mid-way at the base of the foot and head fly side panels to stop these panels flapping a bit in the wind. So for me......a thumbs-up for the Goondie 2. Cheers

s358

Hey Sambar,

With the additional tie outs you added did you sew the attachment loop onto the fly or something?

Cheers

James
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sambar358 » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 5:07 pm

James.....for the fly tie-outs I used a small loop of 12mm webbing holding a line-lock fitted with a 200mm length 3mm dyneema cord with a loop in one end for the peg. The line lock is one of these belwo....webbing & line lock sewn to the fly edge seam, peg at the loop at the end of the 3mm cord, pull the tag end to tighten the fly and lift the edge of the line lock to release then tension. Simple and works well......a bit of webbing and a loop of 2mm bungee cord sewn mid-point on the fly would do much the same but wouldn't be adjustable of course without re-pegging. Cheers

s358

sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JCB81 » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks Sambar,

Your description makes good sense. If I do get the Goondie I would be sure to do the same if I find it annoying.
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sambar358 » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 5:47 pm

James......that's my only real criticism of the Goondie 2 really and it's a simple enough fix and as well as adding a bit of tension to those 2 fly panels it also gets the fly out a bit further from the inner which is handy especially at the foot end. A mate of mine has just bought the current version of the Goodnie 2 30D and the fly is the same & he's added those 2 tie-out points as well to his fly.....maybe OP will add them some time down the track at the factory. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:32 am

Heh JCB
Just to confuse you do have a look at the WE Space 1!!

It really is spacious and a little lighter than the two man tents you are looking at,
very nice functional configuration and robust construction,
maybe not as strong as the Goondie with its crossing poles
but perfectly fine unless you want to use it on the top of the main range in winter
John
johnrs

Return to Equipment