X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby FNM » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 2:10 pm

dandurston wrote:FYI, Massdrop has re-opened orders this morning to sell their batch coming in September.

Hey Dan - can you provide any update on the 2p version? Is it slated for a 2019 US summer release? What is the likely width? .. mainly just wondering if it will fit 2 x wide sleeping pads or 2 x regular width. Be much appreciated if you could provide any info bc I’m tossing up whether to hold off for it, or whether to grab a 2p now. (This is on top of the x-mid 1p :) )
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jobell » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm in too. Paid and confirmed!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby dandurston » Wed 01 May, 2019 1:14 am

The 2P will be a 50" width so it will be able to fit two wide pads. It'll also be bit a longer than the 1P - mostly so that two sleepers can sleep side by side rather than staggered, but that will also make it quite good for tall hikers.

That tent will be announced/released before too long, but it will be a pre-sale so the tents won't actually arriving until sometime around the new year.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Other Country

Postby FNM » Wed 01 May, 2019 2:42 am

dandurston wrote:The 2P will be a 50" width so it will be able to fit two wide pads. It'll also be bit a longer than the 1P - mostly so that two sleepers can sleep side by side rather than staggered, but that will also make it quite good for tall hikers.

That tent will be announced/released before too long, but it will be a pre-sale so the tents won't actually arriving until sometime around the new year.

Great! Thank you :) can’t wait to see it! The types of mats I’ve been looking at getting lately are the extra wide type, which tend to come in at about 64cm (25.6 inches) width - like a the S2S Ether Light:

https://www.snowys.com.au/ether-light-x ... gK3OfD_BwE

Guess I’ll just have to decide whether that is the route I want to go with my mat and then choose a tent accordingly. I note that one extra wide and one regular width would fit, coming in at about 119cm (47.6 inches). Cheers
Last edited by FNM on Wed 01 May, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Wed 01 May, 2019 4:21 pm

Starting to see plenty of positive reviews online.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 02 May, 2019 11:46 am

Mine arrived yesterday - easy to set up if you've watched a few videos and read a few hints. The fly and inner came up nice and taut with ~125cm pole height which raises the tub nicely too. Here in Springmount we received 63mm rain up to 9m this morning with 30mm of it torrential early this morning + gusts up to odd 60ks - X-Mid didn't flinch and feels real smooth and solid with Groundhogs in place. Bone dry this morning with negligible condensation inside the fly. Floor isn't as slippy as silnylon and the usable vestibule space is significant - spacious - due to the wall angles. Two mitten hooks at the apex of the inner peaks will be added later + I might replace the guy lines with 3mm, but all up I'm very very impressed. Will hunt down the 2P for sure. Well done Dan.

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dandurston » Fri 03 May, 2019 1:11 am

Glad to hear you're liking it. That's a nice looking pitch.

63mm of rain and 60km/hr gusts is some impressive weather. Not sure if those pics are from before and after but it sure is nice how poly doesn't sag like nylon in the rain and get limp.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 May, 2019 11:39 am

Seriously annoying, this. The more I look at this tent and the more I hear about it, the more tempting it is. Except for the mesh inner. A bit of mesh for ventilation is good, but full mesh is not my thing.
Suppose that does save me some money.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Fri 03 May, 2019 11:48 am

north-north-west wrote:Seriously annoying, this. The more I look at this tent and the more I hear about it, the more tempting it is. Except for the mesh inner. A bit of mesh for ventilation is good, but full mesh is not my thing.

I'm waiting for the solid inner too. :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 May, 2019 12:06 pm

Tortoise wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Seriously annoying, this. The more I look at this tent and the more I hear about it, the more tempting it is. Except for the mesh inner. A bit of mesh for ventilation is good, but full mesh is not my thing.

I'm waiting for the solid inner too. :wink:

Something like the Tarptent solid inner, with 1/4 to 1/3 mesh.
Enough demand and it will happen. Maybe we need to find some more like-minded walkers to nag Dan and Massdrop. Or Drop as they are now calling themselves.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 03 May, 2019 1:27 pm

north-north-west wrote:... Except for the mesh inner. A bit of mesh for ventilation is good, but full mesh is not my thing.

Although I have only pitched the X Mid twice on flat grass, the edges of the fly really hug the ground - there was no breeze / noticeable airflow the other night when I had a gusty storm pass over. The full mesh doesn't have an 'enclosed' feel - what would be the advantage of a solid or 1/3 mesh inner - would it be warmer?
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 03 May, 2019 2:13 pm

Orbita_Serenitatem wrote:
north-north-west wrote:... Except for the mesh inner. A bit of mesh for ventilation is good, but full mesh is not my thing.

Although I have only pitched the X Mid twice on flat grass, the edges of the fly really hug the ground - there was no breeze / noticeable airflow the other night when I had a gusty storm pass over. The full mesh doesn't have an 'enclosed' feel - what would be the advantage of a solid or 1/3 mesh inner - would it be warmer?

Solid inners have the advantage of stopping spindrift in snow storms and dust/sand in drier environments. No matter how low the fly goes, snow and sand still manage to find a way in.

They are certainty warmer than mesh inners.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby FNM » Sat 04 May, 2019 12:58 am

Orbita_Serenitatem wrote:Mine arrived yesterday - easy to set up if you've watched a few videos and read a few hints. The fly and inner came up nice and taut with ~125cm pole height which raises the tub nicely too. Here in Springmount we received 63mm rain up to 9m this morning with 30mm of it torrential early this morning + gusts up to odd 60ks - X-Mid didn't flinch and feels real smooth and solid with Groundhogs in place. Bone dry this morning with negligible condensation inside the fly. Floor isn't as slippy as silnylon and the usable vestibule space is significant - spacious - due to the wall angles. Two mitten hooks at the apex of the inner peaks will be added later + I might replace the guy lines with 3mm, but all up I'm very very impressed. Will hunt down the 2P for sure. Well done Dan.

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Looks and sounds great. How did it feel lying in it? Touching the mesh at all?
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dalmeny Mark » Sat 04 May, 2019 9:27 pm

I received my Xmid yesterday and slept in it for a few hours last night. I gave it a typical backyard test, first set after dark up by headlamp, with a strong breeze and passing misty rain. The feel laying in the inner was good, (on an Exped downmat with an EE quilt), filling the inner from side to side but not feeling enclosed or restricted. Will need to setup in daylight to get best feeling for pitch but it was good enough and did not flap. Dan had pointed out that with strong winds to orient tent so end faces into direction of wind (duh). I'm 187 cm tall and did not touch top of mesh when I sat up. Very happy with purchase, next test will by on the Kiandra plains next weekend
Dalmeny Mark
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rosglo » Wed 15 May, 2019 11:25 am

Currently in the market for a solid inner tent.
I really like this tent so plus 1 for a solid (or partial solid) inner version.
Cheers,
Ross,
rosglo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Wed 15 May, 2019 3:26 pm

And add me to the list for a solid inner too, say 1/3 or 1/4 mesh
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DuskyBay » Thu 16 May, 2019 6:21 pm

Yes, would definitely like an X-Mid with a solid or partial solid inner for walking in Tasmania.
DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 May, 2019 8:43 am

Poor Dan,

There he is thinking he has this tent thing sorted, and we have to throw a spanner in his works.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dandurston » Sun 19 May, 2019 12:33 am

The partial solid inner comments are good. I'd really like to do one. Whether it happens mostly comes down to having sufficient interest and convincing Massdrop of that, so these comments are helpful.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 6:59 pm

Anyone care to share some pics of their Xmid in the wild? I am trying to patiently wait for mine to ship in September.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 7:19 pm

Noticed all mention of the two person version is gone from Dans website :(

Im a one trekking pole walker. For the one person version I wonder if one trekking pole and another (assume lighter) tent pole would work?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 8:45 pm

Mass drop may have asked him to do that until they post it on their site.

I’m hoping to take mine out sometime in the next week or two, now that exams are over, finally!
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 9:25 pm

congrats on getting through your exams Rosscodj ! Look forward to some pics after your adventures
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 8:32 am

wildwanderer wrote:Im a one trekking pole walker. For the one person version I wonder if one trekking pole and another (assume lighter) tent pole would work?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as the tent pole is adjustable, you should be able to match tension with the trekking pole to get a tight pitch.

Ms_Mudd wrote:congrats on getting through your exams Rosscodj ! Look forward to some pics after your adventures

Thanks! That was an intense few weeks. Can't wait to get the rest of the year over with so I can have some freedom! Will definitely post a pic or two.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dandurston » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 9:04 am

The 2P is coming along well. About 2 weeks the fellow in charge of this project wrote:

"It wont be too long any more, we just finished development and just ordered our photo samples."

I'm not sure what their precise timing is, but it seems likely to launch in the next month. If folks want to be notified they can follow the ultralight community at Drop.com or sign up for my mailing list at DurstonGear.com to which I will send an email when it launches.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dandurston » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 9:07 am

wildwanderer wrote:Noticed all mention of the two person version is gone from Dans website :(

Im a one trekking pole walker. For the one person version I wonder if one trekking pole and another (assume lighter) tent pole would work?

Yeah you could do this. A few companies sell individual folding poles that work, such a RutaLocura.com. We also hope to offer some. People are working on that but I'm not sure what the timeline is.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 9:41 am

Dan, you are impressively across so many platforms on product support. It is great, not to mention reassuring, for a consumer like me to feel that you are really behind what you are selling here and are listening to input to guide your future directions. Nice one.

Rosscodj, uni is intense! I have enrolled to do my masters...twice...and wussed out as the thought of more study is just outright daunting despite it being years since I graduated. Good on you for pushing through, am sure next semester will fly by. I will keep checking up on this thread excitedly to see your tent pics. I am a loser, perhaps I should return to more study so I don't need to stalk tent threads? ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 6:39 pm

dandurston wrote:The partial solid inner comments are good. I'd really like to do one. Whether it happens mostly comes down to having sufficient interest and convincing Massdrop of that, so these comments are helpful.

Hey Dan,
I'm hanging out for the solo X mid with the partial solid inner!! The ultimate tent. 8)

I just wonder, as a 'high' camper in Tasmania, if the tent would benefit from a bit of tweaking to increase ventilation. Hopefully the 2 good-sized vents would be good enough to cope with the large amounts of condensation we can have to deal with. The larger amount of mesh at the top of the inner (compared to your first thoughts), would definitely help. Others may have some thoughts on this.
Cheers.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dandurston » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 1:19 am

Tortoise wrote:I'm hanging out for the solo X mid with the partial solid inner!! The ultimate tent. 8)

I just wonder, as a 'high' camper in Tasmania, if the tent would benefit from a bit of tweaking to increase ventilation. Hopefully the 2 good-sized vents would be good enough to cope with the large amounts of condensation we can have to deal with. The larger amount of mesh at the top of the inner (compared to your first thoughts), would definitely help.

Yeah a X-Mid 1P with a partial solid inner would be awesome. It's been a bit of a challenge to convince Massdrop how popular solid/semi-solid inners are outside North America so they haven't gotten started on this yet, but I think there's a good chance we do this. Right now we're working hard on finishing up the 2P but hopefully they are agreeable to working on that in the not too distant future. I can't promise anything though. The next batch of the 1P is arriving towards the end of 2019 and those are only mesh inner, but perhaps we can have solid inners ready sometime next year.

As for ventilation, the X-Mid has those two large vents up top so that warm/humid air can rise out, and then at the bottom there is normally about a 2" gap that lets a bit of fresh air come in, without allowing problematic rain splatter or drafts. It is an option to pitch the tent a bit higher (using longer cord at the 4 corners) for even more venting at the bottom, but that starts to make the tent quite drafty if it's windy so I normally don't use it like that. If we do a solid/partial solid inner are going to have more mesh than what that early prototype had, so there will be more venting there as well. Overall, venting is a balance between having enough airflow but not so much that it's cold and drafty. I think the 1P strikes a nice balance with more coverage at the bottom but larger vents up top (that can be closed) and that should continue if we make a partial solid version.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 8:57 am

dandurston wrote:Back on the topic of mesh vs solid inners though, we are making the 2P version with both mesh and solid inner options.

That's from December last year. If that is still the plan, I'm signing up for the first batch of 2Ps released.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment