Desktop version
Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.

Forum rules

TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.
Post a reply

Re: Tick treatment

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:47 am

ofuros wrote:...& remember, freeze'm don't squeeze'm. :wink:

That seems like a good strategy. I'm disappointed our Centers for Disease and Control (in the U.S.) don't address the efficacy of this method. They recommend using good tweezers to pull on the head of tick, without squeezing it. Is there a downside to freezing the tick first?

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 4:40 pm

No downside that I know of...if they're attached in a hard to reach place, you might have to wait until you get home & have your partner do the dirty deed. :wink:

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 6:04 pm

Peppermint oil ( aeromatic oil ) brings ticks off very quickly.

Paul

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:58 pm

Paul wrote:Peppermint oil ( aeromatic oil ) brings ticks off very quickly.

Paul
This is not a good method. That guarantees you get a dose of the ticks saliva.
The tick needs to be killed first instantly by either electric shock or freezing before removal.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 8:03 pm

Orion wrote:
ofuros wrote:...& remember, freeze'm don't squeeze'm. :wink:

That seems like a good strategy. I'm disappointed our Centers for Disease and Control (in the U.S.) don't address the efficacy of this method. They recommend using good tweezers to pull on the head of tick, without squeezing it. Is there a downside to freezing the tick first?
No downside to freezing. It's one of the only methods that doesn't make your situation worse. All medical professionals agree with freezing.
Post a reply