Aldi adventure gear - 4th July

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Aldi adventure gear - 4th July

Postby Nerdtrails » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 2:58 pm

benjabimon wrote:Might have to give them a go then for that price, even if they are a bit scratchy.
Looking at what others had said online, it seemed that on balance they weren't that great. But if someone who goes bushwalking is saying that they are good, then that's a different matter ;) Can you remind me, are they synthetic, wool, cotton, or a blend?

Never had an issue with mine mainly as a base layer, they are certainly not going to be as good as say merino thermals but for the price I personally like them, perhaps grab one on sale and try it.
They are 100% synthetic like their AIRism range for summer.
I am planing on grabbing (hopefully) the Aldi Merino Ts for overseas travel as merino has faster drying times and more smell resistant than synthetics like the Aldi range.

EDIT: The Heatech are 35% Polyester, 33% Rayon, 27% Acrylic, 5% Spandex
Nerdtrails
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnStrider » Thu 07 Jul, 2016 3:08 pm

Not much on offer this time around.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby nezumi » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 9:20 pm

OK, so I have had a play/try on/etc with the gear I bought, so here's my quick take:

About me - 5'10"/177cm tall ~86Kg, 33" waist. Cycle touring/bikepacking is my focus at present, with hiking planned as my (16 week old) son comes of age.

Merino thermals: First thermals I have bought. I am planning on using these mainly as a sleeping/campsite layer, and I think they will serve this well.

Down jacket: This disappointed me - I was surprised at how small it packed down - or rather, that it didn't. Again, I am intending to use a down jacket mainly while in camp and for extra insulation while sleeping. I need something which packs down small to fit on my bike, and this is not fit for purpose. My wife was disappointed with hers - the sleeves were way too long for her on a medium.

Down Vest: The same comments apply here as the down jacket, but an additional issue is that although the down jacket compresses much better, it does not compress into an internal pocket - it comes with a separate stuffsack.

Merino long sleeve top: The sizing on this was *way* out. I grabbed a medium, but it was absurdly loose on me. I got this home, tried it on and resigned myself to returning it.

Men's knit Hiking top: This was a surprise success. I hadn't planned to pick this up, but it looked much better in the flesh than in pictures. I got one for myself and one for my wife. The fit for the medium is pretty good - not as close as I would like, but not super loose like the long sleeve merino top.

Hiking chair: What can I say that hasn't already been said? Helinox clone, good chair so far. WIll watch out for quality issues.

Down sleeping bag: I was pretty impressed with this - it compresses down pretty well, but doesn't come with a storage bag, just the stuff sack. 1.05Kg isn't too bad - on the bike weight isn't as big a priority as space. I'll debate whether or night I can justify keeping this one.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 10:25 pm

Picked up a pair of hiking chairs and the stitching looked fine by me as all looked to be in place. Maybe they've improved on it from last year's batch. Although they looked to be pretty solid but the key weakness going forward will be the plastic holding the aluminium struts. One day they'll crack.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aushiker » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 1:33 am

Thanks Nezumi. Very informative. I am starting to develop a similar take on Uniqlo gear ... okay but not fantastic and really it may be "cheap" but it is not cheap if it is not fit for purpose. Now inclined to spend more, spend once (hopefully).
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Franco » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:15 am

I bought a packet of the 9' pegs. $5 , twisted aluminium, 23.6 g each. Not tested yet...
(I can bend them easily with my hands but might be good fully inserted into the ground)
Bought some more Merino T , I use them at home.
Got a down vest for my wife. Not as light and compressible as the one I bought for myself last year.
You must try them on for sizes .
Also bought a pair of 'hiking shoes" for $35 (or something like that) they are good enough to wear around here and do feel a lot stronger than the cheapies from Target or Big W.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BethJ » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 3:21 pm

I picked up a sleeping bag today. I figured for the weight/temp vs the price, it was a pretty good buy.
BethJ
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nezumi » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 4:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Nezumi. Very informative. I am starting to develop a similar take on Uniqlo gear ... okay but not fantastic and really it may be "cheap" but it is not cheap if it is not fit for purpose. Now inclined to spend more, spend once (hopefully).

*waves* Hi Andrew - it's you fault I'm here (Well, you and RonK).

Funnily enough, I was comparing the down jacket to my father in law's uniqlo one, and the weight of the material for the Aldi one is just too heavey for me, and doesn't compress nearly as much.

I am still debating whether or not I will need one - I think it would be more for use in camp than needed for sleeping for the kind of trips I have planned.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 8:07 pm

I bought the hiking sox as I have in the past which I use as wet wading sox.By the time that they get a bit on the nose because they are constantly wet inside neoprene booties they are starting to wear so I have no problems throwing them out for $6 a pair.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iTool » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 9:57 pm

I ended up getting a pair of the hiking chairs. Picked up the last one available at one store, then drove to another store 5 minutes away and picked up the last available one there too. Time will tell how they go I guess.
iTool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wreckingball » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:15 pm

Aldi have their hiking gear sale on again.
8th of july.
wreckingball
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 9:15 am

This years down sleeping bags may be a little warmer than last years. it looks like a few grams more fill; but really need to be seen and handled before shelling out money
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 11:32 am

Thinking about getting one of the ultralight down jackets to commute to work...if it stacks up. Got one of the vests in a previous sale and I've found it ideal for an extra warm layer, weighs little, packs small. The chairs seem more expensive this time (I think). Pretty sure I paid $25 for mine, or am I dreaming? Anyway I took it on my last 2 night trip earlier this year. It was awesome and my back loved it, much to my companions' looks around camp of...disgust, jealousy? I do think you need to be careful with them though, they are reasonably robust but only up to a point.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 4:05 pm

I have two of those vests (my wife has one) great value I think
You must try them on for size .
The Merino stuff looks good. I have several bits from previous sales, all good.
For non ULs I would take a good look at the sleeping bags too. The specs are not bad at all for the price.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 4:11 pm

I've found Aldi merino to be a bit hit and miss. Some of it hasn't held up for very long at all. Others seem to be ok. Also, be careful to wash separately first time. The colour completely ran out of one shirt. Completely changed the colour of a pair of walking shorts. Did a very even job though, and I actually like the new colour better. :P
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby wreckingball » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 7:17 pm

Does anyone happen to know the weight of the down jacket?
wreckingball
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 10:42 pm

wreckingball wrote:Does anyone happen to know the weight of the down jacket?

No, I was looking for that too but nothing on Aldi's site. Typically I've found they rarely provide weight details of anything.
Someone with an earlier version may know but it could be a different design this time.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 6:28 pm

johnw wrote: The chairs seem more expensive this time (I think). Pretty sure I paid $25 for mine, or am I dreaming?

Pretty sure they were about $30 last time. Actually see earlier in the thread for a pic of the ad back then. They were $29.99.

wreckingball wrote:Does anyone happen to know the weight of the down jacket?

I had one of the Aldi Crane duck down ultralight jackets from 2013. It was the one with the rollaway hood under the collar (but the hood isn't down just fabric). It was 480grams for the men's small. It was this one:

WK29_PD_038.jpg
WK29_PD_038.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 28116 times

It was great for the price and I used it at around 0C with merino layering underneath, but I ended up on selling it and got a warmer Marmot Zeus with 800 fill goose down for colder hikes. The marmot jacket is warmer and lighter at about 370g but was 5x more expensive than the Aldi Crane jacket.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 6:52 pm

That chair is a knock off of the helinox. The pots n stove kit looks alright.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:47 pm

keithy wrote:
johnw wrote: The chairs seem more expensive this time (I think). Pretty sure I paid $25 for mine, or am I dreaming?

Pretty sure they were about $30 last time. Actually see earlier in the thread for a pic of the ad back then. They were $29.99.

OK I was dreaming then. Maybe I remembered it was under $30, just :).

Neo wrote:That chair is a knock off of the helinox.

Yep. The Helinox is possibly better made but I've had no problems with my Aldi knock off.
Last edited by johnw on Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:52 pm

Neo wrote:That chair is a knock off of the helinox. The pots n stove kit looks alright.

I got my son (who was a scout at the time) one of the hiker stoves/pots sets. It is a real good value bit of kit. No the most super light stove for the price it cannot be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm happy with just the 1 litre pot of my companion pro nano.

I did just buy their kettle for a smaller car camping option.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby drakkar » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 9:50 am

Has anyone tried or looked at their packs?

Looking at buying one for mates to borrow on ivernighters, to see if they enjoy it or not.

But if the bag is going to make them hate life, then it kind of defeats it's purpose.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 11:00 am

rurik wrote:
Neo wrote:That chair is a knock off of the helinox. The pots n stove kit looks alright.

I got my son (who was a scout at the time) one of the hiker stoves/pots sets. It is a real good value bit of kit. No the most super light stove for the price it cannot be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one marked down a couple of years ago for my bro in law. Stove is a Kovea 8-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 7:08 pm

I doubt very much that the current version is made by Kovea.
Looks more like one of the many Chinese stoves available on E Bay and the like.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 7:19 pm

Their packs, at least last years ones didn't end up looking that good after a bit of use. the tents were pretty much exactly the same as the companion ones, (not on this sale, but anyway) Grabbed a couple of the dry duffel bags. 50L welded PVC, 20$. probably toxic as heck, but they look solid enough for a few trips for me.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:25 pm

A heads up, Aldi's outdoor gear sale is back again on 7th July 2018.

They have a merino mix jacket that looks like a new addition, and they have the higher back lightweight chair and the lightweight table as well.

Here are some screenshots for posterity.

AldiOutdoor201807-01.jpg

AldiOutdoor201807-02.jpg

AldiOutdoor201807-03.jpg

AldiOutdoor201807-04.jpg
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby nezumi » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:12 pm

Has anyone given the hiking stove set a go? My local store has 4 of them left for $10, so I am tempted to get one as a stop-gap option, or to offer to friends who want to give hiking a crack.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:17 pm

Not used it myself but if it is the same quality as the bigger 5 piece set [ of which I now seem to have several] it well worth $10-; especially if; as some did; it includes the stove
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment