hydration bladder vs bottles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

hydration bladder vs bottles

Postby earthgrace » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 1:28 am

After the recent thread on hydration bladder size I was wondering why people use a hydration bladder vs a regular bottle? I guess when I first saw the bladders, I wondered if they were worth the extra purchase/stuff. But they do seem popular...and I can see the appeal of them packing down. Not sure if I'd enjoy the sip feature or how easy they are to clean. So, please enlighten me! Why do you prefer using a bladder? or what do you see as the pros and cons? Thanks.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: hydration bladder vs bottles

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 8:10 am

I use both. For day stuff, the hydration pack is more convenient. But it is easier to monitor your water level with a bottle. Its hard to say really what the best is. If you already have a pack with a bladder sleeve then its a fairly cheap experiment to see if you like it. Some really don't. Cleaning is about as bad as most bottles, except maybe the tube, but you can get cleaning brushes. I'm still sorting out my system for it.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 8:43 am

I only use bottles.
I prefer 1.25L soft drink bottles as they are light and quite bombproof, but I usually take a couple 1.5L flexible bottles as well as they weigh half of the PET bottles and roll up out of the way.
A bladder system may be more comfortable regarding ease of access, but it's considerably heavier and requires more attention.
Soft drink bottles also mean that you can have a nice drink of soda-water when you get to the top of Mt Taurus.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 9:03 am

Bladders are more efficient. Sure, you might carry a bit more weight when they're full, but they're easier to drink from without stopping or stuffing around. I think there have been studies that show people tend to drink more when carrying bladders purely because of the easy access to fluids.
Admittedly, a small to medium bottle is very useful for those shorter sidetrips where you want to carry some water but don't want to take the whole pack or fiddle around removing the bladder. I usually carry a 600ml coke bottle for that (cheap and light, besides then I get a bit of caffeine at the start of the walk).

I used to use bottles. After trying a bladder I was hooked.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 10:03 am

I used to use a bladder, but found I was less likely to ration water and more likely to run out.

Since getting an Aarn pack I strictly use bottles as they go in the front pockets for balance.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 10:32 am

bladders can freeze up in sub zero conditions, either the water in the tube or even the water in the bladder itself
bottles easier if you're refilling often especially if you have to sterilise as well..
water in a bladder can stay cooler buried in a pack,
bladder easier to use on the go, but depends on he bottle, you can get ones that have drinking tubes... you can have puncture issues with bladders and have to treat them with kid gloves... less dead weight with bladders
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Travis22 » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 11:01 am

Used bladders for years when mtb racing. But generally speaking I don't like them because cleaning them compared to cleaning a water bottle is a pain in the butt.

I have 2x 1L water bottles and sometimes a 500ml bottle too.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:09 pm

north-north-west wrote:Bladders are more efficient. Sure, you might carry a bit more weight when they're full, but they're easier to drink from without stopping or stuffing around. I think there have been studies that show people tend to drink more when carrying bladders purely because of the easy access to fluids.

It depends on how you carry the bottle. Most people carry a bottle so that it's difficult to access. But it isn't hard to arrange things so that a bottle is quite easy to pull out of a pack one handed and drink from. Bottles are also available that do not require twisting open a removable cap in order to drink. Bicyclists have been drinking water out of bottles with one hand for a long, long time.

Even empty a bottle can be lighter than a bladder system. No tube, no sleeve, no bite valve. My 1+ liter bottle weighs 30g. Easy to refill. Cost was nothing.

I've always thought that bladders were at their best when you were moving so fast you couldn't even slow down to tip a bottle above your chin. In other words, trail running. But the popularity of bladders is undeniable. I must be missing something.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:31 pm

1.25L soda bottles weigh ~45g and my flexible 1.5L bottles weigh 22g each; a 3L source bladder weighs 250g empty.
I rarely walk for hours at a time without stopping and being able to drink. Bladders do make sense for those who do not stop or cannot store bottles in a handy location.

That being said, nalgene (and similar) bottles are substantially heavier than bladders and do not pack away anywhere nearly as well.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm different to some here: I drink much less with a bladder. With bottles I gulp, more a big sip with a bladder.

Also the bladder keeps the heaviest thing I carry - water - touching my back and therefore near my center of balance...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:59 pm

icefest wrote:my flexible 1.5L bottles weigh 22g each;

What type or brand of bottle is that?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 1:04 pm

Orion wrote:
icefest wrote:my flexible 1.5L bottles weigh 22g each;

What type or brand of bottle is that?

Aqua essence, Review here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14280&p=188792&hilit=aqua+essence#p188792
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 1:33 pm

I use both...bladder because if it's right there in front on you, hung over your shoulder strap, just under your chin,
your more likely to use it. Cleaning every so often is no big issue.
Dehydration can be very easily overlooked....

Plus I use a 500ml Gatorade bottle for cooking in the evening, unscrew lid, pour into pot & add dehydrated food. Too easy.

They both get the *&%$#! if I'm flyfishing in some trout filled headwaters somewhere....just use my pot to scoop water from the stream. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 3:16 pm

I can't seem to find any mention of a 1.5 liter bottle on their web site or anywhere else. Can you point me to it?
And are they available in TAS by any chance?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 3:24 pm

I've sent them a message asking about availability: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0810477634

They are still there on their other website: http://mtwater.com.au/products/ Third one down.

The small ones with the sippy top are not refillable.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby earthgrace » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 11:12 pm

Thank you. It's good to hear all the details from the trail. I hadn't even thought about the issue of rationing water with a bladder, nor the advantage of keeping it closer to your body for balance.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:27 am

I think I have the best of both worlds I bought a couple of Nalgene Wide Mouth Cantene off amazon then got a Source Outdoors SNEP Convertube that has adaptors for most common bottles. I carry a bottle of two depending on where I'm going and can just change bottles when I finish one. I hate digging in the pack to refill a bladder, usually have to half empty the pack to get it back in.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 2:34 pm

jjoz58 wrote:I think I have the best of both worlds I bought a couple of Nalgene Wide Mouth Cantene off amazon then got a Source Outdoors SNEP Convertube that has adaptors for most common bottles. I carry a bottle of two depending on where I'm going and can just change bottles when I finish one. I hate digging in the pack to refill a bladder, usually have to half empty the pack to get it back in.

Darn, I have never heard of these but love the concept. Could you please provide a weight for the whole kit with one adapter? Thinking to hook these up to a PET bottle would be great - standard bladders are a bit heavy and a PET bottle is less damage prone.

I really like being able to drink from a bladder - especially up here in the heat where I can empty two 3l bladders in a day before i even reach camp. Stopping all the time takes up too much time and energy. Otherwise water is in PET bottles or S2S bladders (a bit heavier then PET, but much nicer packing for carrying higher volumes).
nq111

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 2:47 pm

I still use the old army canteens. 2× 1lt and 2x 2lt bottles. Very strong and easy to get to when your on a break.
walkerchris77

Postby Orion » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 2:55 pm

Why not just carry a titanium yabbi straw?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 8:51 pm

The source wt depends on what lid you use - http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles/22-convertube.html it's about 110gr with a wide mouth Naglene canteen I use 2 x 1.4lts which wt 65 grams each with a lid they have them in 2.8lt as well http://store.nalgene.com/Cantene-48oz-p/2575-0048.htm . Obviously you only need to take 1 lid as 1 has the tube in it. The Pet lid is great with 1.25lt soft drink bottles. The links are to the actual websites but they are usually cheaper on Amazon or some other websites like campsaver when they have specials on. You could just use pet bottles but as you drink the bottle collapses so I don't know how long they would last, but if its only day or short thru's that wouldn't be a problem.

My 3lt osprey bladder is good and I use one for bike riding and I have a spare. But the repair options are limited if you're on a long walk.

The beauty with this setup is it's lighter and more flexible. You can have one with aqua mira doing it's job while you continue to drink from the other. With practice you can change them on the go. Easier to fill and I don't have to empty my pack to do it.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kymboy » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 8:54 pm

Just checked the MT Water Facebook page and answer to icefest's question. The 1.5l soft bottles have been discontinued :-(
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 9:15 pm

kymboy wrote:Just checked the MT Water Facebook page and answer to icefest's question. The 1.5l soft bottles have been discontinued :-(

:'(

This is so sad. They were by far my favorite bottles.
I'll see what else I can buy (fleabay and aliexpress). Results will be posted.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dnaylor » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 8:20 pm

currently I'm using a 2.5ltr bladder plus a 750ml roll up bottle, the bladder has anti slosh baffles it it, a magnetic clip on the bite valve that attaches to its keeper on the chest strap and works quite well... the separate 750ml is mainly because i use a hydration supplement in the bladder so i can use the "spare" for soup or coffee.. i still use bottles occasionally but collapsible stuff is more useful to me at the moment...
I have found a really good hydration product too.. those "sports drinks" are worse than coke and loaded with sugars of some sort or other... as i have Diabetes those are not the best for me... there is a USA company called "Nuun" (www.nuun.com)and there stuff is available at body building shops etc... you simply dissolve 1 tablet per 500ml of water and drink as needed and remember drink small amounts regularly and before you feel thirsty!! its about $11/ 12 serves (they look like berocca tablets) i have found the heat doesn't effect me as much now but that might only be me... try them as an alternative to gatorade etc...
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby sim1oz » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 7:30 pm

It depends on the type of walk and the pack I use. I have had times when I ran out of water with my 2L bladder and other times I have pulled it out at the end of the day and there has been a lot - too much - leftover so then I worry that I didn't drink enough. However, it is very convenient having the bite valve right near your face so you don't even need to stop. Bottles are great when they are easy to access. When I use my Aarn Pack (only for multiday walks) I always use bottles in the front pouches which makes it easy to pace my water intake - not too much, not too little, just right... I like being aware of how much water I have so that I know whether or not to top up if we pass a water source.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dinna89 » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 10:13 pm

I used to use a 3L bladder but have reverted to bottles, I've been using the same three 1.5L 'Coles brand' bottles for years.

The reason I'm back on bottles are
- lighter weight
- easier to fill / better compatability with my water filter
- easier to keep track of water levels/consumption
- I didn't like the feel of drinking through the tube.
dinna89
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm in the process of deciding whether I really need a water bladder. I bought a Denali Hydro Ridge 3L from Anaconda in early Jan. The backpack is fantastic for a day pack as it has so many handy and convenient pockets. Unfortunately I have had to take it back two times and possibly a 3rd time after today's hike. The first two times because the bite valve split while I was out walking after having only used it a couple of times.

Today I got back from a quick 8km hike and put my backpack down. Came back to it about 30 minutes later and noticed a puddle around the bag. I checked the bite valve and everything was ok. However, the bottom of the bag was wet. Took the bladder out and it had been dripping at the bottom of the bladder where the hose connects to it.

So *&%$#! annoying. As I mentioned, the backpack itself is fantastic but the bladder and bite valve's suck.

My One Planet backpack has two side pockets for drink bottles as does my Denali backpack, so reverting back to drink bottles wouldn't be an issue. But I love the convenience of being able to drink while walking and not having to stop.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 4:50 pm

I have a bladder and find that i use less water than with bottles. I use the kathmandu 3ltr bladder and take an empty plastic bottle which i use at the end of the day or when more water is needed. Drying out the bladder is easy, drain both bladder/hose and then hang upside down in a dark place. Simple as that, no chemicals, detergents, scrubbing and it is fresh as a Daisy for the next use.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Watertank » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 5:34 pm

I have a MSR bladder and bottles. I prefer bottles as I can keep an eye on my consumption. I like stopping for a drink rather than walking and drinking. The city is a busy place, stopping for a drink of water and listening to the bush is for me one of the great pleasures of hiking. The MSR is good in camp and for carrying large quantities of water.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 5:47 pm

I've been going back and forth, and I think I'm going to stick with bottles. the bladder puts too many eggs in one basket, the one I've got isn't working well, and replacing it doesn't make sense to me at this point. I don't love it enough to bother trying to get another one. I will still use my MSR dromedary for bulk water carry as it works really well for that, and it fits my water filter.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment