Best trail runners?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Best trail runners?

Postby minijimaus » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm looking for non-GoreTex trail runners for bushwalking. They'll be used for day and overnight walks, mostly around Sydney. Requirements are breathability, good grip from a chunky tread and reasonably light weight.

Any suggestions?

Jim
minijimaus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Best trail runners?

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 5:57 pm

I wear Sportiva wildcats in summer.
Very breatheable, sole grips well, nice and light.
Mine are grey and orange.
Shorty gaiters either by Rab, or funky Dirty Girl patterned ones, to stop sand, stones and twigs getting in.
I originally bought a pair of Sportiva Helios ( green and pink) but they were too nice looking to wear bushwalking, so they are street shoes.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby baldhead » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 6:49 pm

Asics Trabuco (Gel-Fuji) trail runners are the best fit for me.
The other brands I've tried don't fit my feet nearly as well as Asics.

I've used them on multi day walks and found them to breath well, comfortable with good grip in most situations.
I have had one experience of poor grip coming down from The Panthenon to Pine Valley . There's a steep section of rocks with water flowing over them, I slipped over twice crossing over the rocks . In this instance the grip wasn't good, combined with end of day tired doesn't help. I had no slipping going up.
baldhead
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby nq111 » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 6:54 pm

You'll hear a lot of good things about Inov8's. Big range with just about any combination of weight and features you may want.

I wear Trailroc 245s with ankle braces (only way I was comfortable getting out of boots!). No complaints.

Tried some Adidas Kanadias before the INov8s - they are ok but the Inov8s are clearly better.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Scottyk » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 1:23 am

These ones
http://www.salomon.com/au/product/xa-pr ... tra-2.html
They are the best i have used by far. I have done a few very long adventure races and they are the most popular choice for competitors. I have now owned several pairs and I won't bother with anything else. As far as I am concerned they are the Cadillacs of trail runners.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 6:25 am

everyones different, different brands can be suited to some shaped feet and not others. go and try on a few brands and get the ones you're comfortable in
i'm a salomon fan, but i'im borderine to fit them, have to go up a size an wear thin sock because they are a bit on the narrow side for my feet... otherwise comfy
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby forest » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 6:50 am

Whatever fit's "YOU" best.
Some are narrow, some are wide. Most have good grip, breathability and just target the non goretex ones like you said.
I like inov-8 because they tick all the boxes for me, but some models don't as they make different "Lasts" ie: widths in the shoe range.

I've looked at runners online and thought, yep, I want some of those ones. Only to put them on in store and find they didn't feel any good on my feet.
You really just need to get out there and try some on wearing the exact socks you plan to walk in.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby creeping_moses » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:51 am

http://www.hokaoneone.com.au/

These are very popular in the adventure racing scene right now and amongst ultra-marathon runners. Worth a look to see if they are right for you.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby radson » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:51 am

forest wrote:Whatever fit's "YOU" best.
Some are narrow, some are wide. Most have good grip, breathability and just target the non goretex ones like you said.
I like inov-8 because they tick all the boxes for me, but some models don't as they make different "Lasts" ie: widths in the shoe range.

I've looked at runners online and thought, yep, I want some of those ones. Only to put them on in store and find they didn't feel any good on my feet.
You really just need to get out there and try some on wearing the exact socks you plan to walk in.

Absolutely +1
radson
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NZAC - Australia. Mainpeak

Postby slparker » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 9:36 am

salomons are very good trail runners although they fit a little on the narrow side.
I have had 5 pairs over the last 6-7 years, used for running, walking, army PT and travelling. My favourite for running/walking is the wings XT as it has the best mix of flexibility, stability, low profile, protection, weight and grip. I used it for three days of the south-coast track in Tasmania in January and they were lighter, warmer and more comfortable than my gore-tex asolo boots. I wore them up and down Mt Kinabalu in malaysia, on daywalks in NZ and if I am going to go running I'll use them on the road for running. Their only downside is the tread is shallow on the toe and it suffers grip loss in mud as a result - otherwise I would probably use them for all my walking. If you need a stiff sole they are not the best option. They have very supportive lateral anti-pronation posts and are particularly good shoes if you suffer from pronation or require a shoe that is both flexible in the forefoot but prevents excess pronation/supination.

The XA pro 3d is well regarded, as scottyk has mentioned above, however I find that the rockplate in the sole renders the heel a little loose (and the lacing system is such that you can't selectively tighten the laces) and the sole grip is appalling in all conditions where there is any water involved (loose gravel, dry rock etc is fine). i don't recommend them for walking with a pack for that reason. I have seen the new version and the sole has been vastly improved, so if you're going down the route of these shoes I would get the 2014 version (not available in all shops). I have had two pairs of the goretex version of the xa pro and they are brilliant in winter for general wear. It sems that almost everyone in the south island of NZ and travelling in winter in Europe wears the XA pro. I would definitely consider the 2014 version as a walking shoe and will buy another pair when my old ones wear out.

The other option is the speedcross which i have never worn but is pretty much like the XT wings except the sole lugs are deeper - I reckon this would be the ideal 'mud shoe' and if I knew in january what i know now I would have left my boots at home and worn them for 7 days on the south coast track. You can even buy a version with metal studs for mud.

Some problems with the salomons are the terrible innersole that soaks up water and bunches up when wet, they run narrow - but I have a wide foot and don't suffer in them - and they have some particularly lurid colours. They take a long time to wear out and even though they are light and appear fragile they are very robust - particularly the XA pro.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby forest » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 11:00 am

creeping_moses wrote:http://www.hokaoneone.com.au/

These are very popular in the adventure racing scene right now and amongst ultra-marathon runners. Worth a look to see if they are right for you.

I have a pair of Hoka's. Amazing shoe for what they are. Not sure if i'd push them as a "bushwalking walking" shoe as for the main part the impact isn't there the same as running.
Like I said mine are great and I use them for recovery runs, sometimes long runs and hill sessions where downhill speed is the focus. It's like running on clouds going downhill over rocks and gravel. They do have a large footprint so are not what I would class as an agile running shoe.
They are popular ATM.

But they feel kinda weird to "walk" in as they are shaped to promote a forefoot strike and I heel strike when walking for the main part. They have a big rocker shaped sole.
They dry like *&%$#! though compared to my inov-8's etc. once they are wet.

Might be worth a try though for you, go have a look. They look normal from a top view, person wearing them perspective. Just don't look in a mirror or shop window when you pass by. They look like big clunky clown shoes from the side.........
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby Turfa » Tue 04 Feb, 2014 11:20 am

Based on your needs, perhaps you could also look at 'hiking shoes' as well as trail runners.
I am completely addicted to the Merrell Moab Ventilators (low cut, non Goretex version). They are relatively light, extremely comfortable (for me), dry fast & have excellent grip with a relatively chunky Vibram sole.

But as someone else posted....nothing beats getting shoes on your feet to find out what is best for you !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 8:30 pm

The shoe to buy is the shoe that fits, I dont bother asking what is the best shoe anymore, everyone will have a different opinion. Dont look at brands, just buy something that fits, do not underestimate this. You don't need heavy leather boots, they will damage your feet. We are not designed to wear boots.

Watching a documentary on the Kokoda Trail and witnessed the porters where in barefoot. I'm not saying you should go barefoot, just saying don't full for the traditional hiking boots.

I'm finding the lighter the shoes the better it is for me, I do have strong ankles, so I dont need the so called ankle support most say you must have.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 8:50 pm

I love my Merrell Trail Gloves. They're very light, have plenty of room for wiggling toes and a good thin vibram sole with no drop. If you're used to big stompy shoes with thick spongy soles they take a bit of time and gentle work to get used to.
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby 0psi » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:20 pm

creeping_moses wrote:http://www.hokaoneone.com.au/

I do all my long runs in Hokas but I wouldn't want to hike in them, even more so if I were carrying a pack. Greater majority of Inno8's are probably too light and don't provide enough protection to use for hiking.

Plenty of good options from most big shoe manufacturers. Salomon make some great shoes provided they fit your foot. Brooks, Asics, La Sportiva, Adidas, Saucony and The North Face all have good offerings. Just pick one that fits you the best.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/trailshoesmen.html
0psi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 2:09 pm

Been looking around for a new pair of bushwalking, mesh upper trainers & just noticed hokaoneone are now making 'wide' versions of their runners...might be old news to some but I'd thought I'd share.
Loved the chunky, sticky soles on my old battered Speedgoats...

http://shop.hokaoneone.com.au/wide/
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 2:17 pm

Never understood why shoe companies produce white soles. Look great for 2 mins....

Fair enough for tennis or gym sports but running and adventure racing...
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 2:22 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Never understood why shoe companies produce white soles. Look great for 2 mins....

Boating too requires non marking shoes.

Got some of the Aldi joggers - $20 but need 2 sizes up for width. Black - breathable. See how they go for backpacking, at least for exorcize.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 3:28 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Never understood why shoe companies produce white soles. Look great for 2 mins....

It's all in the mind...white looks lighter, dark colours look heavier.
Agreed, blindingly white for the 1st use, then its all downhill from there. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 10:14 am

ofuros wrote:Been looking around for a new pair of bushwalking, mesh upper trainers & just noticed hokaoneone are now making 'wide' versions of their runners...might be old news to some but I'd thought I'd share.
Loved the chunky, sticky soles on my old battered Speedgoats...

http://shop.hokaoneone.com.au/wide/

With chunkier soles ---> increased wobbling. I experienced this problem with the Saucony Peregrine 8 I took to Sundown last Xmas and the outer sole almost melted due to the harsh and very dry terrain of that park. I returned them to Wildfire Sports and they gave me a full refund. No questions asked.

For rocky hikes "Salomon Speedcross" line is top notch. Very grippy, comfortable and light shoes.

But my favourite sole tread due to the rubber being used (Continental tyres) belongs to the "Adidas Terrex Agravic." Love them. They are a tad heavy but it doesn't bother me too much.
gbagua

Postby ofuros » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 6:42 pm

Every one has their favourites brands...

I like to follow creek beds during the warmer months searching for waterfalls, natural jacuzzi's, infinity pools, gorges & canyons. Light packweight.

So I look for a soft grippy aggressive treads for wet & slippery rocks, with quick drying mesh upper. The older hoka speedgoat had a great soft sticky sole and the five ten approach shoe i also use has a stiffer, sticky sole.

They're no good for road walking/running...treads will wear down way to quick. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 4:49 pm

Another brand name I'd like to throw in there is a small boutique trail runner company in the French mountains - RaidLight.
They make great trail runners IMHO. The heel cushion/shock is custom replaceable for best cushioning to your running style/surface and free resoling for life.
These are now my preferred shoe by far. They are currently having a 50% off sale.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks for the Raidlight suggestion Stew. Had never heard of them. I bet they gey a bunch of hit from down under!

Couldn't see any shoes under the menu or 'mens' listing though... The arm sleeves look great with a thumb hole.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:22 pm

Neo wrote:Couldn't see any shoes under the menu or 'mens' listing though...

Here is one link for them

Stew - sizing - on one of them it says 'narrow fit' the others that I looked at say nothing.
Which one do you have and what is the sizing fit like for width?

They list soles https://www.raidlight.com/int-en/men/sh ... ystem.html
That looks like they charge for the resoling.
It also gives various options for the inner ... nice. But I'll have to go along to one of them shoe shops that do this pronating/Supinator stuf.

Arr just found this for determining my pronating/Supinator situation. Think I'm neutral.
https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/0 ... supinator/

Note: as in most sales .. the ones I thin i want are not avalible in my size - even before in ask about width
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:49 pm

ofuros wrote:I like to follow creek beds during the warmer months searching for waterfalls, natural jacuzzi's, infinity pools, gorges & canyons. Light packweight.

Good luck finding that this year after 2 years of drought. I spoke to one of the staff today at Wild Earth and was told that they felt miserable last w/end as they could not find a decent waterhole in the Boonoo Boonoo river basin (not the river itself just some secret location they personally know of). Almost dry! :(

I have tested the Terrex both in wet and dry rock (Barney's ridges) and they perform really well. It's now my favourite non-winter shoe. One review:

https://trailtopeak.com/2017/04/20/gear ... ail-shoes/
Last edited by gbagua on Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:57 pm

gbagua

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 6:33 pm

Neo wrote:Thanks for the Raidlight suggestion Stew. Had never heard of them. I bet they gey a bunch of hit from down under!

Couldn't see any shoes under the menu or 'mens' listing though... The arm sleeves look great with a thumb hole.

Hi Neo - I'm not sure where you're looking but try again - there's definitely mens shoes listed. Not as big a range as Salomon or La Sportiva. I have a whole stable of Salomons already (that I no longer use) as I've found the RaidLight are definitely better for me. They have a comprehensive size comparison chart (ie. comparing a size 10 in ASICS/Salomon/Nike/LaSportiva to a size 10 Raidlight) About 6months ago I ran 'Route3776' from the Pacific Ocean to the summit of Mt. Fuji and down the other side in my RaidLights with a pack and they performed flawlessly :) I normally do about 90~120km/week in training.

Worth having a look if they're at 50% off right now. I think the reduced price must be as they're probably about to release a new range.

Warin - I have 'normal' width feet but my wife has wide. She's very happy trail running in her conversion to RaidLights too but I'd have to check out which ones she's got and the width. I'll get back to you - but obviously hers are in
from the womens range range of RaidLights. We normally order a few pairs between us to mitigate the cost of shipping from France.
Last edited by Stew63 on Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:35 pm

Rapidlight sizing from South Africa
https://raidlight.co.za/size-chart Looks like 1:1 with Salamon.

I' a UK size 8, when in the UK that is the shoe size I buy and they fit. If I buy from a UK internet store - again a UK size 8 fits.

If I buy a size 8 in OZ ..nump. A USA size 9 nup ..both not wide enough despite claims to be the same as a UK size 8. I need to go up a size - not for length but for width. Except for the last pair of Aldi ones ... needed 2 sizes up!

So I don't trust a 'size' statement. They are rubbish. :evil:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:45 pm

Warin - RaidLight brand sizing comparison (for us) has worked 100% for both self/wife and the 6 pairs we've bought for other family members overseas (Japan/Malaysia/Tahiti/NZ) - except for 1 person who gave us their wrong sizing to begin with - can't help that. So not rubbish for us. And no I don't have any affiliation with the brand. These are mostly family members that frequently compete in 50~100km trail running events - often in the jungles of Borneo - with backpacks.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 8:32 pm

In my limited experience... (NB I run about 90~120km week - road/trail - but competitively speaking I'm a gumby)
ASICs: Great shoes on the bitumen (Kayano/Kinsei) but WAY overpriced for a shoe Made in China.
HokaHoka trail runners: VERY comfortable but (IMO) very poor longevity, durability and the Hoka company (Australia) just not interested in any feedback, follow up or positive criticism. Wouldn't buy again.
Salomon trail runners: Although owning about 7pairs and originally being a Salomon zealot - I later realised I never felt 110% comfortable in any of them - especially in 100km ultras. That's just me.
La Sportiva: Not enough trail experience in a variety of them to judge or comment.
RaiLight: So far so good. Great shoe on both bitumen and trail. The guarantees they offer? Well for my crappy feet the actual internal shoe will wear out long before the FREE sole or replaceable heel shockers!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment