Pack Size what do you use ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack Size what do you use ?

Postby Spartan » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi, Clusterpod.

My day-to-day work preference runs to the SORD pack, but for those times when one can't avoid carrying >40kg, the DG8-SF truly comes into it's own. In any case, I hope you use yours at least occasionally; it'd be a rather expensive whim otherwise!

WRT your first question I've used some of my 'play' gear for work over the years, as my preferences run towards earth toned hues anyway. So I'll use, for example, One Planet sleeping bags inside a One Planet AUSTCAM bivie bag, or a 'Hennesy Hammock' if I'm on exercise somewhere Tully-esque. I'll habitually wear certain fleeces/2nd layer gear under a bespoke para smock when it's cold, and I'll always wear decent socks regardless of the boots I'm wearing on a given day. Finally, I'll use decent cooking/eating gear; or should I say I will unless the RAAF is ferrying me from Point 'A' to Point 'P'.

Issued equipment was pretty grim when I enlisted two-and-a-bit decades ago. Consequently, soldiers invariably pushed the envelope by using (then) cutting-edge bushwalking gear as and when they could. Over the years things have (slowly) gotten better, but much of what we use is still too heavy, and much too 'cooky-cutter templated'. Anyone can be uncomfortable in the field, and I really hate being uncomfortable needlessly.

Finally, and WRT your second question, when it comes to boots I suppose there's always been a measure of overlap between 'work' and 'play'. When in barracks it's Danner 'Arcadia' boots; in the field it's either Scarpa SLs or Merrell 'Moabs'. (Several years ago I had a Para Rigger friend make me some 'über-gucci' gaiters in AUSTCAM canvas and cordura, 'loosely' modelled on my S2S 'Quagmires'. These remain de rigueur items anytime I'm bush-bound with work).

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Clusterpod » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, its very much appreciated.

Yes expensive whim indeed, but it was before I got engaged, and my adventures took me further, and longer afield.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby the-wanderer » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 2:10 pm

my 70 litre Argon (osprey) for two nights to two weeks, is just fine. light pack for its size. for day trips and overnighters its the 34 litre stratos-again, osprey. our setup includes dehydrating our own food, definite weight and space savings there. previously usesd black wolf mckinley 85, this was a more overpriced option than the osprey believe it or not. in the case of the blk wolf (my first pack) you pay $220 for something that is starting to seriously wear and tear(also strap slippage in the shoulder) after 12 mths. or pay double that for the osprey which will last a lifetime.the blk wlf also gave me a recurring ache in my right butt cheek after so many km's.
also another note on osprey packs- the litrage on an osprey pack can be decieving. after using blk wlf i was wanting to downsize- 85 ltrs was just more than i needed... so doing myself a favor (i thought) i downsized to the argon 70- expecting a smaller pack, only to find i could easily fit my blk wolf inside my osprey?? what the? how can a 70 ltr pack be bigger than an 85 ltr pack? because blk wolf include all the pockets in their cubic measurement, whereas osprey base their cubic measurement on the "actual" size of the bags main compartment. what does this mean? well, my wife and i are about to head into the budawangs for 7 days and fully packed i still have space left in my bag!! a 65 would have sufficed...
the-wanderer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 01 May, 2013 11:32 am

I've been using an OP McMillan (90lt) and Stiletto (70lt) for a little while now. I originally bought the McMillan because I thought I needed at least 85lt for guiding and longer week+ trips. I ended up buying the Stiletto after I realised that I never had the McMillan full, even on the first day of an Overland or fully packed for an 8-day Southern Ranges trip.

Thus far 70lt has been perfect. My biggest trip with the Stiletto so far has been the Western Arthurs with 8 days of gear and food and it was definitely full but in no way overflowing.
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Zone-5 » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 2:46 am

I'm just a day tripper!

Salomon Trente 30 litre:

:)
Last edited by Zone-5 on Wed 08 Jan, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Postby Snowzone » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 10:22 am

For walks up to 5 days duration I use a One Planet WBA 60litre pack but anything longer and I find I need my One Planet 70litre Strezleki to fit the extra food in.
Snowzone

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 10:25 am

80L Aarn Guiding Light, but I like to have everything inside my pack (including bulky things like Crocs and my Hellbox Chair One) and just compress down any unneeded space. Better too big than too small...
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanielS » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 6:19 pm

I have an Osprey Volt 60L that I've used for a few trips this year, including 7 days in Kakadu and recently 6 days on the Overland track. It was packed to capacity at the beginning of both trips (including outside mesh pocket) but worked just fine. The Overland trip required a lot more extra clothing, but was also a bit easier because I was sharing a tent and cooking gear with my girlfriend so we could spread the load.

I have a 22L Osprey Talon that I use for day walks, and a 70L GoLite Pinnacle which I've used a couple of times for overnight trips (nowhere near its full capacity).
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby sim1oz » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:58 pm

Like strider, I prefer to keep all my gear inside my pack, but I have started with a focus on lightweight and small volume so....

62L Aarn Featherlight Freedom (up to 8 days so far)
50L Golite Jam (overnighters and days walks - can't be bothered buying a smaller pack just for day walks)

I do like the Aarn harness system, it works really well for me. Once I get my gear reduced in weight and volume a bit more, might get a smaller Aarn pack for 3-season weekend walks ...was thinking of the Aarn Marathon Magic 33.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment