Pack Size what do you use ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack Size what do you use ?

Postby Penguin » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 5:23 pm

I am a GoLite Jam fan. The 50L did me for an 8 days in the WA's, started with the tent on the outside in its own tougher bag and moved it vertically inside as I ate the food down. Tent was a Laser Competition 1. A few marks on the pack form the trip, but no great damage.

I have tried a few overnighters in Victoria with a Zpacks Hexamide tent. This is great as the tent fits easily inside the pack, horizontally and at the top. Spare room and a few food treats. With 2 litres of water got down to 11.76kg recently for the Catherdrals. :) I know I can go lighter but I do like some goodies.

I have not used the Golite for scrub bashing in Tassie yet. It has been on my back for off track activity but not scaparia. For the off track walking elsewhere I have found the slim and low profile of the Jam on my back has meant that I take the brunt of the scub bashing rather than the pack.

I do have a MacPac Toree 80L if I need to be a mule. Comfortable but I do like my smaller packs now.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 6:39 pm

One Planet McMillan 85 for longer walks, One Planet Shadow 56 for up to about 3 days, Lowe Alpine Zepton 50 for overnight or slightly longer summer stuff. 25L Mammut for day walks and UL summer overnight.
My Hubba Hubba HP poles don't fit in any of thise sideways, so I just put it in vertically, doesn't matter much to me.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Happy Pirate » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 7:59 pm

If I'm lugging Camera gear I have a 95l Aiking (pronounced (and summarised by) "aching") pack with 5 l add on pocket. I think they became One Planet. Certainly makes me feel like Atlas.
This pack is getting less and less use as my dotage progresses.
I did an about face a few years ago and bought a 70l GoLite Trek frameless. Good for about 10kg (or 2 days) before it gets lumpy and strange.
I found a compromise last year with a Lowe Kongur 70l.
I bought new stuffsacks for all my equipment: tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear; the old bags make great food and clothes bag. I find the after market bags generally better than the OEMs. And you can choose your dimensions: short and wide, long and narrow. If tent poles don't fit inside they get strapped to the outside until they learn to behave.
Steve
Last edited by Happy Pirate on Wed 03 Apr, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby wildernesswanderer » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 8:24 pm

I use a Macpac Cascade 90L and Ascent 70L, The 90 I used on a 5 day trek over Christmas and the 70 for overnight to about 3 days I could go smaller and lighter but I carry all my camera gear as well when I hike. Both suit me fine
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby creeping_moses » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 8:37 pm

Like many posters on this thread I've got a number of packs for various trips.

My extended trip/backpacking pack is the gratuitous Wilderness Equipment Lost World 110L. This thing has seen it all, with its latest foray being 4 months in East Africa.
My most used pack is a One Planet Styz 75, from about 6 or 7 years back. A great bag which I think is pretty light, but maybe that's just due to the weight of the Lost World that I'm currently used to.
I also have a Macpac 25L Amp Race which I use for single night trips if I can squeeze stuff in and running adventures. I've also attached this to the back of the Lost World when traveling overseas, quite the load.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ryantmalone » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 8:43 pm

Currently using a Macpac Ascent. Using the S3, which is a 75lt pack.

I use this on all of my hikes, as the pack is more compact than most, however it is damn comfortable, and has enough space in the pack to pack for anywhere from 3+ days.

I reckon I could even go for 10 days with it, but that'd be pushing it.

I've also own a Black Wolf Mountain Ash 75lt pack, however after using it extensively over Tassie, and the Vic alps, I've come to the conclusion that its the most uncomfortable POS I've worn, hence why I'm using the Macpac Ascent now. :)
ryantmalone

Postby Happy Pirate » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 8:44 pm

creeping_moses wrote:Like many posters on this thread I've got a number of packs for various trips.

My extended trip/backpacking pack is the gratuitous Wilderness Equipment Lost World 110L. This thing has seen it all, with its latest foray being 4 months in East Africa.
My most used pack is a One Planet Styz 75, from about 6 or 7 years back. A great bag which I think is pretty light, but maybe that's just due to the weight of the Lost World that I'm currently used to.
I also have a Macpac 25L Amp Race which I use for single night trips if I can squeeze stuff in and running adventures. I've also attached this to the back of the Lost World when traveling overseas, quite the load.

Wow!
110l. You could ditch the sleeping bag and use the pack itself.
I think if you've lost the world you might find it somewhere inside your pack if you dig deep enough. ;)

cheers
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby creeping_moses » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 9:14 pm

I have stood in it before, and it comes up to just above my navel and I'm 6'2"! The top is just like a massive stuff sack closure, so you roll it down to fit the size of your load. I've had it so stuffed that I've just had to pull the clips together without a single roll, however. That wasn't much fun.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Clusterpod » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 11:09 pm

Arc'teryx Bora 95L. Heavy. I carry a lot of camera gear. I like the room.

Jansport something-or-other daypack. Had it at least 15 years. Just won't die, so I haven't replaced it yet.
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby quicky » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 8:21 am

creeping_moses wrote:I have stood in it before, and it comes up to just above my navel and I'm 6'2"! The top is just like a massive stuff sack closure, so you roll it down to fit the size of your load. I've had it so stuffed that I've just had to pull the clips together without a single roll, however. That wasn't much fun.

Sounds similar to my WE Mountain Expedition pack...at 105L, they said you could use it as a half bivy (I'm a whopping 5'9", so the bivy comes up past my navel).....so I did. It kinda worked, it compressed the down in my sleeping bag a little more than I would have liked, but it did the job for most of the night, until I moved back into my tent. :D
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 4:56 pm

60l Aarn Natural Balance plus 15l pockets which is very comfortable but I struggle to fit everything in for a week's walk. I like the fact that it's waterproof.
40l Aarn Peak Aspiration without balance pockets for day walks - was using my Natural Balance as it was so comfortable but it was getting too knocked around. The Peak Aspiration is a lot sturdier (and heavier therefore!)
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 5:04 pm

60 litre Osprey Aether

Used it for walks up to a week.

At over 2kg it's not particularly light, but its comfortable and seems robust.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby matagi » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 6:58 pm

Wolfix wrote:Mountain Magic doesn't balance so well despite the seemingly great idea. The front pockets aren't nice and secure either, they move around a bit much. Try them out first if you can. I'm getting the Featherlite Freedom instead of the MM. Much better balance.

Have they changed the way the front pockets attach with the new MM models? I have the MM 44 and haven't had any issues with excessive movement of the front pockets.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Miyata610 » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 9:43 am

matagi wrote:
Wolfix wrote:Mountain Magic doesn't balance so well despite the seemingly great idea. The front pockets aren't nice and secure either, they move around a bit much. Try them out first if you can. I'm getting the Featherlite Freedom instead of the MM. Much better balance.

Have they changed the way the front pockets attach with the new MM models? I have the MM 44 and haven't had any issues with excessive movement of the front pockets.

No they're the same. The new 50 has the smaller balance pockets from the old 44 and the larger pack from the old 55. So i think its actually a 49. Maybe the original sizes from the 44 and 55 balanced better?

The MM does use a different system to attach the pockets to the hip belt from the other models and it has the crossover chest thingy. I rather like the setup.

Back on topic.....

93l and 52l and 31l packs. I separate poles and usually pack tents horizontally. Carried a couple of Nallos that way recently. An easy fit in my Load Limo.
Phil
Miyata610

Postby yogibarnes » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 7:30 pm

Only one pack. A 1970's Karrimor Joe Brown. About 55 litres I think. Weighs 1.6kg. Longest trip was two weeks in PNG. Just about worn out. I need a new one. Think I'll go shopping.
yogibarnes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Batemans Bay Bushwalkers
Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 6:39 am

When i was young & had all the time in the world for 2week treks into the tassie wilderness,
a Berghaus 80lt Expedition used to be my main companion.
Now family & work limit my explorations to overnighters & long weekenders, so now a 45lt Berghaus Verdon is my backpack of choice.
Both are great kit.

Confessions of a Berghaus fanatic....8-)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 12:21 pm

yogibarnes wrote:Only one pack. A 1970's Karrimor Joe Brown. About 55 litres I think. Weighs 1.6kg. Longest trip was two weeks in PNG. Just about worn out. I need a new one. Think I'll go shopping.

2 weeks squeezed into a 55L pack?!?

is that because porters were carrying your food or were you hunting & gathering food as you went along?
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby 22F » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 4:01 pm

I used to carry an 85L pack, whether it be the DG-3 or DG-6.
But nowadays, I prefer a 70L pack that can have a pouch (extra 20L capacity) added for those really long range walks of more than a week, or in cold places where I actually need a tent and heavy weight sleeping bag.

It's actually allowed me to start get ridding of packs, much to the amazement of my darling wife.
Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.
22F
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Location: Back in Bris-vegas, lost in the brightlights of the Big Smoke

Postby Andrew » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi All,

I just love my Aarn Natural Balance. 65 litres plus 18 litres in the balance pockets that sit on chest. Looks like they would get in the way but they don't and it is just brilliant to have full access to water, snacks, GPS, Map, EPIRB etc. without having to take pack off. Also gives so much more stability having some weight on the front as pack not trying to pull me over backwards.

Completely waterproof as dry bags are built in. I put my tent and coat in the bottom dry bag separate from rest of gear. I have had mine on many multi day walks and scrub bashing and no damage. Can fit a week's worth of gear no worries plus fishing gear (even carried waders and wading boots one trip and just squeezed everything in).

Mine is a 4 or 5 years old and weighs 2059 grams. No need for plastic bags, dry bags, pack covers etc. it is simply a pleasure to use.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/natural_balance.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/prod605.htm

Just loading it up ready for the weekend.

Also just purchased an Aarn Marathon Magic 33 day pack and have had out for 3 days and like that too.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Clusterpod » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 5:40 pm

22F wrote:I used to carry an 85L pack, whether it be the DG-3 or DG-6.
But nowadays, I prefer a 70L pack that can have a pouch (extra 20L capacity) added for those really long range walks of more than a week, or in cold places where I actually need a tent and heavy weight sleeping bag.

It's actually allowed me to start get ridding of packs, much to the amazement of my darling wife.

Why is so hard to get rid of packs?
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 5:45 pm

Clusterpod wrote:

Because they are the ONE item of gear that is absolutely essential. Without a pack, you can't carry all the rest of your stuff!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rich » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 5:03 pm

A 75L Macpac Cascade which is a breezy 3.6kg, and a camelbak hawg and golite jam for day walks. I'd like to transition to something of the jam's size and load carry intent but it could take a few iterations.

So does anybody want a lightly used Cascade?
rich
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby 22F » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 4:26 pm

Strider wrote:
Clusterpod wrote:

Because they are the ONE item of gear that is absolutely essential. Without a pack, you can't carry all the rest of your stuff!

And I just LIKE packs!
I was always amazed at some of the really nice gear that everyone carried when I was a kid, then a young dopey digger.
Now that I have the disposable income, I like keeping packs next to me.

Hi, I'm Mick, and I have a pack addiction.

*crowd replies* Hi Mick....
Forward!
22F
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Clusterpod » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Mick.

Welcome. I have six, down from eight.

We should probably stop enabling...
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby 22F » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 9:35 pm

6 down from 8 Cluster?
Damn, how do you do it? :lol:

I did a quick stocktake, and I physically put hands on 16 packs of various flavours and descriptions.
I really need to get rid of some.
Forward!
22F
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Jack o » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 8:46 am

I'm currently using a Macpac Pursuit 55l for overnight jaunts in the Victorian high country. For longer trips I use a Karrimor 90l, however after 20 plus years of use it is in need of replacement.
Jack o
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mountnman » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:02 am

I have 3 packs:

Osprey Argon 85L for longer hikes or overnighters with the family
Osprey Aether 60L for solo 1-2 nights
Osprey Talon 22L for day hikes

I find Osprey packs to be the most comfortable and sturdy packs that I have tried. When one of these die in about 20+ years I'll replace it with another Osprey.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scottyk » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 12:56 am

mountnman wrote:I find Osprey packs to be the most comfortable and sturdy packs that I have tried. When one of these die in about 20+ years I'll replace it with another Osprey

Osprey make great packs, nice and light and comfortable. I own a small day pack from them and it is great. But for larger packs hat last I wouldn't think the fabrics they use are up to rocks and scrub that I encounter in Tas.
As for Pack size I use, I have one 32 Litre Osprey (Day walks) and a 80 Litre Macpac Torre (everything else). The macpac does every job, no need for multiple packs. I am sure I crary a bit of extra weight in doing so but I can just have one pack. This is a personal choice.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Spartan » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:15 am

Well if we're going to start counting the beasties, here are my various 'to-hand' packs:

Work
1. Army 'S70' pack 45l (old Vietnam era, back and arm-killing green thing)-not used since 1988.
2. Army 'ICLCE AUSTPACK' 65l (modern era, back-killing DPCU thing)-not used since 1995.
3. Army 'Mk II AUSTPACK' 75l (modern era, back and neck-killing DPCU thing)-not used since 2000.
4. Wilderness Equipment 'SAS Mk 6' Field Pack 80l (1990s era, fantastic DPCU thing)-last used 2003.
5. SORD 'Large Field Pack' 80l (2000s era, fantastic DPCU thing)-used regularly.
6. Crossfire 'DG8-SF Pack' 110l (2000s era, fantastic DPCU thing)-used irregularly.
7. Mystery Ranch '3 Day Assault' pack 50l (2000s era, fantastic MULTICAM thing)-used regularly.

Play
1. Macpac 'Torre' 80l buskwalking pack-not used since 1993.
2. One Planet 'McMillan' 90l bushwalking pack-not used since 2009.
3. Osprey 'Aether' 70l bushwalking pack-used regularly.
4. Osprey 'Aether' 85l bushwalking pack-used regularly.
5. Deuter 'Trans Alpine' 40l daypack-used regularly.

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Clusterpod » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:35 am

Ah that Crossfire DG8 is a beast. Bought one on a whim a few years back.

How do you find the differences between your work and play gear Spartan?

Probably the wrong thread, but do you have different work and play boots as well?
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment