Pack Size what do you use ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack Size what do you use ?

Postby corvus » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:03 pm

G'day All,
On a recent thread I noticed that a few members could not fit a Scarp 1( which is around 50 cm long and 43cm around) vertically inside their packs,is this because we are trying to get away with using much smaller packs for everything ? :)
I do realise that today everyone is looking to reduce pack weight (including me) however I do wonder if we are weight counting at the cost of practicality.
For the record I use a 90lt WE Karijini pack for all other than day walks (use a 35 lt WE Traverse for that) both of which are comfortable rugged enough for "rough scrub" and suit my needs :)
Lets hear it for yours please :lol:
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Mon 01 Apr, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pack Size what do you use ?

Postby dannnnn » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:19 pm

i use an old 70ltr WE frontier 2 which is actually a "travel" style backpacking rather than bushwalking pack... it's nowhere near waterproof, it weighs about 3.5kg, has no external pockets for storing stuff you need to get to quickly and it is a little bit of an awkward shape for bushwalking.... but you couldn't kill it with a bayonet and it super super comfortable to carry. i would love to replace it with something lighter and better shaped... but be buggered if i'm trading in the comfort for that!!
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby troy8880 » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:28 pm

I use a 16-17 year old hallmark Phoenix 90l. Absolutely brilliant pack.
troy8880
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby norts » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:31 pm

I use a Macpac Ravine 60 litre, I use to use a Wilderness Equip Expedition that was about 80 litre, I never had it full .
I went to the Ravine as it was smaller weighed 2kg compared to the WE, over 3kg.

I have carried 10 days worth of food in the Ravine but that was pushing it. I couldnt see the point to carrying an extra kg of pack. I do like the WE though, it was very comfortable and handled 20 plus kgs easily where as the Ravine starts to get uncomfortable over 20 kg.

Only time the WE comes out these days is when I have to be a pack horse.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:42 pm

72L Golite Quest. Scarp 1 fits vertically just fine :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 1:43 am

In my attempt to go somewhat UL I've gone from a ~95L WE Mountain Expedition (great pack but heavy at 2.95kg) to a 72L GoLite Pinnacle at 710 grams. Unfortunately looks like that model is no longer available. Have used the Pinnacle on the last 3 or 4 overnight and 2 night trips, including some off track scrubby sections. It works well with my Terra Nova Laser Competion 1 tent (930 grams, packed size 40x12cm). I can actually fit the tent in horizontally if I disconnect its small plastic end poles. I too like the WE stuff for the well considered designs and ruggedness - have a Second Arrow tent as well. But knee issues mean these days I need to knock some weight off so favouring the newer gear, which I plan to use again on a 2 nighter next weekend. I haven't tried the new setup in Tassie but I feel that it should be fine say for a week on the OLT, Walls or similar - I have used my heavier gear in those places. I have a collection of daypacks but my favourite is a bombproof WE Contour which is still pretty light at 1.15kg for 43L capacity. I guess some people would even use that pack for minimalist overnighters.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 3:16 am

OP Mungo 60l
or MD's Main Range 65l for all overnighters, up to 14 days.

38l OP Traverse for summer overnighters and daywalks.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 7:22 am

Load Limo small. 65L for the main pack, I think.
And the complaint was about fitting the Scarp in HORIZONTALLY, corby. I wish you'd learn to read. There's plenty of room for it vertically, but that's not how I like to pack. It's impractical and inconvenient.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stepbystep » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 8:18 am

One Planet Mungo 60L for most overnight walks.
Macpac Cascade 75L or Mont Flyte 75L for longer scrubby trips.
Black Wolf Pinnacle 40L for daywalks. Just can't kill it.
Kathmandu 20L(?) pocketpack overnight trip sidetrip pack.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:41 am

Macpac Belay 35L day pack and short overnighters.
Berghaus Bullfrog 30-40L scrubby day walks as this pack is getting old I am trashing it ;)
Macpac ascent 70L multidays trips and longer overnighters.
Karrimor Endeavour 70L another pack that's getting old that I use on 2-4 day scrubby trips.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 7:19 pm

north-north-west wrote:Load Limo small. 65L for the main pack, I think.
And the complaint was about fitting the Scarp in HORIZONTALLY, corby. I wish you'd learn to read. There's plenty of room for it vertically, but that's not how I like to pack. It's impractical and inconvenient.

No need to shout at me n-n-w, as being an OAP tending towards dotage I am allowed mistakes :lol: however for what it is worth my WE Karijini Pack will accept both Scarp 1 or 2 with poles horizontally and my sons entry level WE Breakout pack will accept the Scarp 1 horizontally which we choose not to do as we find it so much easier to pack them on the vertical (is that a man thing eh!! ) so perhaps you need to look at your pack choices if you want to use this good tent in the manner that you want :roll:
As an afterthought I cannot ever remember packing my small hike tents inside the top of my pack horizontally always vertical,A frames on the outside wrapped in their groundsheet of course :lol:
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Mon 01 Apr, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Mark F » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 7:42 pm

For 3 seasons walking, 40 litre Macpac Amp 40 is my current favourite (even if I really want to carve 500g out of it) for longer walks (up to 8-10 days). My tent poles are normally in my hands (Ruta Locura poles) but I have put poles (and tent) up to 42cm (REI 1/4 dome) in the Amp 40 without difficulty for a 6-7 day walk. How I pack my tent really depends on the tent bag. I prefer to pack it horizontally.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 8:01 pm

Wow!! reading that pack sizes are so much smaller than mine (which is 90 lt) I am interested in cubic capacity of each main item now (not interested in weight reduction ) just capacity and how does it all fit :?:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby andrewa » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:08 pm

I use a 80-90 l home made 1.5ish kg pack for most trips. I did a recent overnight with a 30l home made pack, but I m fatten trying to combine other activities, so trying to carry fly fishing gear, packrafting gear, or combinations of above, or ski touring gear, plus or minus carrying water, so I tend to go the bigger one, even though I might pack light. The harness is a lot more comfy than my smaller packs, and my big ack isn't that heavy......!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:15 pm

corvus wrote: No need to shout at me n-n-w, as being an OAP tending towards dotage I am allowed mistakes

I said horizontal three times on the other thread and you then started this one. Sorry, but I think the shouting was both justified and necessary.
:lol: however for what it is worth my WE Karijini Pack will accept both Scarp 1 or 2 with poles horizontally and my sons entry level WE Breakout pack will accept the Scarp 1 horizontally which we choose not to do as we find it so much easier to pack them on the vertical (is that a man thing eh!! ) so perhaps you need to look at your pack choices if you want to use this good tent in the manner that you want :roll:

I don't need a larger pack for 99% of my walking, and one of the same capacity that would allow the tent to sit horizontally would be very uncomfortable. The pack is a more vital part of my equipment than the tent - I have other tents, I don't have - and couldn't get - another pack that's as comfortable.
As an afterthought I cannot ever remember packing my small hike tents inside the top of my pack horizontally always vertical,

Yeah, maybe it's a man thing. Maybe, as a woman, I'm more practical and organised and pack my gear in a way that suits my walking style and the conditions in which I walk.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Spartan » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm

Osprey Aether 70l and 85l models (3 season and 4 season).
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:
corvus wrote: No need to shout at me n-n-w, as being an OAP tending towards dotage I am allowed mistakes

I said horizontal three times on the other thread and you then started this one. Sorry, but I think the shouting was both justified and necessary.
[quote] :

Typical elder abuse shout them down and they just might shut up :lol:
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Tue 02 Apr, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby photohiker » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 10:45 pm

Gossamer Gear Mariposa. I think it's 68L

Scarp goes in the side pocket no worries.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 10:41 am

Well i suspect Corv isn't Really interested :wink: No way that scarp would fit in my pack...

Of course nnw, being practical minded like yourself, I would have thought to buy an extra couple of pole sections and then pull the pole apart and snip a bit off every section. (Thus making your pole stack shorter..)??
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 11:22 am

The 'problem' is with the end poles which are tightly inserted in the fly. Shortening the hoop poles won't help a lot. (you can stash them elsewhere)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 11:28 am

Arr, right, pretty much stuffed then :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 11:31 am

I unfortunately don't get away longer than 3-4 days tops at present due to mummy duties with young ones so my Osprey exos 46 is cavernous for the task. I do have a lowe alpine nanon 50+10 but Im yet to use it. That being said I think I could get a weeks worth into my exos especially 3 season.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Earthling » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 7:58 pm

I used to use a mammoth 70+20L North Face and used to put my tent on the outside of the pack...never in.
I now use a Zpacks Cuben 30 3000ci which is around 50litres. I still strap the tent to the side :) More than enough room, but it does get a bit tight on 8day trips...
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 12:24 am

Gossamer Gear Mariposa for overnighters, cinched down half empty for day walks. 69 L (47 in main body of pack) for the medium, but I have the small.
Easily OK for several days I'd think, but hubby carries the tent, I carry the food. And I always take too much water
I don't scrub bash at all

Aarn Natural Balance for where I need to carry more eg colder, and if it's going to be hillier. Small size 60L main pack, plus 15L in the front packs (mainly water and heavier stuff) This Easter weekend in the Snowies I was carrying some of my son's gear too. Was perfect. Once again hubby carried a 3 man tent tho.

I need a smaller pack too - tossing up between the Aarn Mountain Magic (37L pack plus 12L in front pockets) or the Osprey Exos 34 (32L for small size)

Hubby uses an 85L Black Wolf Mackinley pack, or a medium GG Mariposa for a shorter overnighter (as above)
He scrub bashes in the former. A tough One Planet would be better - nothing to snag
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wolfix » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 1:25 am

Mountain Magic doesn't balance so well despite the seemingly great idea. The front pockets aren't nice and secure either, they move around a bit much. Try them out first if you can. I'm getting the Featherlite Freedom instead of the MM. Much better balance.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 3:57 am

Fit the tool to the job... provided you have more than one tool.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 7:37 am

Orion wrote:Fit the tool to the job... provided you have more than one tool.

Or you have more than one job to do.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 7:40 am

40 or a 60 or a 75 or a 90 all depending on the length and type of trip...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 7:53 am

I use an 85 litre One Planet Strezlecki.

I would very much like to have a smaller (~60l) and lighter pack, but I cannot justify the cost owning two packs and I do occasionally need the full capacity of the larger pack (plus more!).

I usually pack the tent vertically, but for a while I had a tent that packed to a short length and it was good to have the option to pack it horizontally which worked very well depending on what other gear I was using for a particular trip. Neither of my current tents will pack into the pack horizontally.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby quicky » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 5:07 pm

For hiking...I use an Arc Blast...approximately 40L internal space.
I use this pack for trips out to about 6-7 days. Any longer and I have to add a multipack which adds about 4L of capacity.

For trips out to 3-4 days....Z packs Blast 22...approximately 25L internal storage.

For mountains...Lowe Alpine Attack 55.
For base camp haulage when the donkey runs away....WE Mountain Expedition 105L.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment