AARN packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: AARN packs

Postby jonholmes » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 9:47 pm

The big advantage of the Aarn front pockets is that their weight is taken up mostly by the hip belt - not just hung on the shoulder straps. If you can load your heaviest items into the front pockets and get close to a balance with the back weight, then nearly all weight is taken up by the hip belt - the top of the shoulder straps are quite loose on your shoulder compared with a "normal" pack.

I only bought the front pockets and modified my "normal" pack to fit them on. It is a bit fiddly getting them on (but that could be just my set-up), but once on, and standing nearly upright the system is fantastic! Able to carry more weight much easier - even on the same old pack

Highly recommended if you get the chance to try.

Jon
jonholmes
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:20 pm

Jon,

That is my experience also.

I bought my Aarn pack in 2006, and the front pocket attachment is quite fiddly - taking them off or putting them back on is not something I would consider while the pack is being worn. However, I recently upgraded the front pockets to the 'Dri' style, and as part of the upgrade I was given a new model hipbelt buckle. The attachment is now dead easy, and I'm sure that I could mount/unmount the pockets on-the-fly.

As far as camera gear is concerned, my new pockets are down at the local wetsuit company having some 5mm neoprene inners built so that there is some insulation from the bumps on the trail. Once they are done, I will report back.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Tue 25 Aug, 2009 7:24 am

photohiker wrote:..I recently upgraded the front pockets to the 'Dri' style, and as part of the upgrade I was given a new model hipbelt buckle.
As far as camera gear is concerned, my new pockets are down at the local wetsuit company having some 5mm neoprene inners built so that there is some insulation from the bumps on the trail. Once they are done, I will report back.

That's just a new *buckle* they gave you photohiker, or a new hipbelt ? (presumably including buckle)
Mine's an older Aarn pack like yours - if I've had any quibble at all it has been with aspects of the hipbelt (which has mostly been very comfortable I might add).
So, am looking to graft one of the new hipbelts onto my old pack. I've had a look at them and they look really good . (I think!).

The neoprene is a good idea for sensitive camera equip. Will make it all a bit heavier of course - but you're already carrying X.xx kg of camera gear right ?

Jon, that's a nice bit of DIY to graft the aarn balance pockets onto your own pack. I'm probably too lazy/incompetent to attempt such efforts.

It's probably worth noting that the Aarn harness (without the front pockets) is a good one, and comfy .
I've not tried on any of their big capacity packs, but in the 'region where I hang out' - 40 - 65 litres, the harnesses I've tried have been easier to wear than those of many 'famous brands' that I wont mention by name.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 25 Aug, 2009 8:04 am

crockle wrote:
photohiker wrote:..I recently upgraded the front pockets to the 'Dri' style, and as part of the upgrade I was given a new model hipbelt buckle.

That's just a new *buckle* they gave you photohiker, or a new hipbelt ? (presumably including buckle)
Mine's an older Aarn pack like yours - if I've had any quibble at all it has been with aspects of the hipbelt (which has mostly been very comfortable I might add).
So, am looking to graft one of the new hipbelts onto my old pack. I've had a look at them and they look really good . (I think!).

The neoprene is a good idea for sensitive camera equip. Will make it all a bit heavier of course - but you're already carrying X.xx kg of camera gear right ?

No, just the buckle. It has a little attached 'pocket' on each side that takes the support stay from the balance pocket, secured with the pop button you can see in the photo:

AarnNewBuckle.jpg
AarnNewBuckle.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 29708 times

I'm not aware that there have been any other changes to the hipbelt?

Yes, the Neoprene will add weight, but it's not too bad and I can remove one or both depending on the amount of camera gear on board so it should make things safer and relatively flexible.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:20 pm

New hipbelt?
Well I *thought* the hipbelt I saw in a shop the other day looked different to mine - including the little 'sheaths' you've pictured, for the balance pockets.
Now you've got me wondering if I wasn't blinded by a cosmetic revamp. :?
Mine looks like this

ff_04hipbelt.jpg
ff_04hipbelt.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 29691 times

It's not great for bending down to ground level , and can create discomfort zones when you've been enjoying too much good life and have put on a kilo or two..
Mind you, I've always wondered if I've had the adjustment *absolutely* right.
Most times it's comfortable though - put it this way - I've had much more 'luxurious' hipbelts than this - but nothing that helps to carry the load like as well as the one on the Aarn.
On my old model here, the maroon and the blue tags you can see in the photo are loops that the bottom of the balance pocket clips to.
With another attachment point on the top, there's NO WAY you could reasonably or easily undo the pockets whilst on the move.
Hence further interest in 'new-style' buckle / belt / balance pockets...
Last edited by crockle on Wed 26 Aug, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 8:24 am

Crockle,

Yea that hipbelt looks pretty old - the front section in front of your hipbone is now a sort of foam composite that molds to your shape. Might be worth checking out, and especially if you want to run the new style front pockets.

Also note that there are three hipbelt sizes: S, M and L. I noticed Aarn has amended the measuring process for deciding which you need since last I looked:

AARN Website wrote:The mid-to-large volume models have hipbelts available in 3 sizes. The medium size, M is standard. To decide whether you need a S or L size, use a tape measure to measure your hipbone length; measure from left front corner of your hipbone, around the back of your hipbone to the right front corner of your hipbone. This your hipbone length. (It does not include the measurement across your tummy, as in the usual hip circumference measurement).

If this distance is less than 55cm choose the S size, if it is greater than 65 cm, choose the L size.

I started with a size M, but found it was too big (was running out of adjustment space at the front buckle) S is just fine for me.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 7:23 pm

thanks for the info photohiker . After reading your post, went in to check out the belt at retail. Looks *way* more comfortable than what I have. The retailers seem amenable to a new-for-old 'graft' at a reasonable cost - all is good. I'll try and get back there next week to get 'em swapped over.
Unfortunately, I took no picture to post here for all those following this with interest (yeah, right..... :wink: )
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ThomasW » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 12:29 pm

The main problem I have with my arrn pack is that I rarely have any weight to put in the front pockets, I can put snack food in there for the first few days but that quickly gets eaten.... So I end up carrying two front pockets with next to nothing in them. I found myself packing extra gimmicks just to take advantage of the pockets.
ThomasW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby photohiker » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 6:25 pm

If I have nothing else to put in the pockets, that's where the water goes. Platypus bottles or similar fit very nicely. Aarn reckons you should sort your gear and put the densest and the items you need to get to en route into the pockets - food - water, snacks, camera, etc.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 8:59 pm

Water bottles are good - likewise anything with mass that's fairly small. I found it a bit of a struggle too at first - figuring out what to put in there - those front pockets.
As the penny started to drop about the system working better and better the closer the front (pockets) and back (backpack) became in terms of weight - I began to get a bit creative.
I stuck everyhting in the backpack that *could not fit -no way no how, in a balance pocket* - sleeping bag, cooking pot, fleece jacket etc .
Then looked at what I had left and scratched my head for a bit.
Ended up with TENT in balance pockets - fly & main tent separated & tightly compressed with a couple of comp. straps.
Also, stove. Quite a bit of food. Camera. Tent pegs. Rain jacket or poncho.
*Anything* that had some weight, I was looking at ways to make it fit at the front - as every extra 100g at the front, acts as a 'balance' for the weight on the back. And you DO end up walking more upright, and the whole load-carrying task becomes less tiring and more pleasurable.
Context: - I was prepared to mess about with the whole system *because* I found myself enjoying long-distance walking less and less due to the "grind" of traditional pack-carrying and some occasionally quite severe back & shoulder pain. (Partly to do with bushwalking, partly in 'city life' as well).
Then on top of that, a questionable left knee joint, that had me wanting to cut the amount of weight it was asked to support, and the way that weight was transferring to the knees/ankles/body-in-general.

As stated in previous posts, it *is* more work to set up, and there *is* some adjustment required in the way you do things. So you need to balance that against the benefits.

If you were happy loading up your 'traditional' cordura pack for 3 or 4 days and heading off to wild parts, with no genuine discomfort along the way - and little to no pack-soreness at the end of the day - I would probably say 'Dont bother with an Aarn pack'.
You probably *will* get more comfort with one, but you're already quite comfortable - and the setup and the slight fiddliness of the pack will perhaps irk you.

For me, the small concessions I've had to make are far outweighed by 'the performance' of the thing - which really just equates to more enjoyment of bushwalking - that simple.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ThomasW » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 3:08 pm

Might just be able to fit my tent into the Balance pockets, would have to separate the fly from the tent itself which would mean more work at pitching and dismantling...

Just played around a bit and realised I can fit my sleeping bag (830gm) into one pocket and my Exped Downmat 9 (1002gm) into another. A little room left in both so should be able to fit in a couple of small heavy objects to bring the sleeping bag pocket closer to 1000gm. Although I would prefer the sleeping bag to be in a more waterproof location....

So that would mean, I would roughly have 2kg at the front, and 4.5kg (+ food and water) at the back.
ThomasW
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Franco » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 7:47 pm

Interesting comments about the pockets...
I have fitted the Expedition pockets to my Featherlite so that I can have more weight at the front without having to think too hard about what to put in them. So now I have all of my emergency/first aid/toiletry/rain gear/ camera in one and food in the other. On the outside I have a Gatorade 600ml bottle as well. ( I don't like bladders)
This system allows me to drink,munch and take pictures without using contortionist manoeuvres and or stopping (apart from taking pictures....)
On short breaks I do not remove the pack since even at 15kg or so (enough up to 7 days for me) it is not a problem to just stand there with it on my shoulders.
On my recent trip where I finally got to see what US backpakers use I can say that apart from some ultralighters most did not seem to enjoy the walk but were enduring it. I had a blast...
BTW, weight wise, my Aarn is way out of proportion with my shelter,mat and sleeping bag however the comfort is well worth the extra weight and according to my back and shoulders it feels like I am carrying less rather than more (compared to lighter backpacks)
Franco
The Grand Pass was the third pass for the day at over 1900 meters going up (and down to) about 1100 each time.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crockle » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 10:01 pm

Nice one there Franco !
I've not ventured to the Expedition pockets - I've looked at them in the shop and thought 'the damn things are HUGE', and demurred.
Do you pad the contents with bits of clothes etc to 'compact the load', or just let stuff slop and rattle around a bit in the pockets?
And how is bending down - to pick something off the ground, say ?
And where is The Grand Pass ? (while i'm asking)
my Aarn is way out of proportion with my shelter,mat and sleeping bag however the comfort is well worth the extra weight

Yes, agree with that 100% . It's an item where taking the grams into account, for their own sake, is just not the way to go about it.
WHY do you care about the grams? Maybe to walk more comfortably, so that you'll enjoy the trip more.
What else might make the journey more comfortable other than JUST shaving weight, shaving weight?
How does 'the price to pay' stack up against 'the benefit' ?
Now, try and grab this pebble from off the top of me noggin Grasshopper.

On short breaks I do not remove the pack since even at 15kg or so (enough up to 7 days for me) it is not a problem to just stand there with it on my shoulders.

Mate, on short breaks, I like to sit down.

thanks for the photos - looks like that walk may've kept you aerobically active for a bit.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:25 pm

Crockle
I am well past the age of bravado and hero walks , so I only try to get lighter simply to carry less not to win contests.
When I have to carry over 10-12 kg , the Aarn is much better for me than other packs I have tried. I have used before the example of shopping bags. Carry two on one hand an note how you walk, then have one on each end and feel the difference. A pack is the same...
In the top picture I have about 7 days of food and 2 liters of water, around 14kg all up. The pockets are full, one remains about the same for the trip , the other I just transfer some extra food in from the back to keep the balance. Ideally you should have the same weight at the front as you have on your back. The pockets have compression straps.
I have no problems bending down with the pack on, in fact I had to do my shoelaces up at one point and did that easily with the pack on.
Because of the pack and the fact that I use the sticks ( both nordic style and the std alternating stride mode) I arrived fresher than my two companion aged 10 and 20 years younger than me ( I am 54), both of them having "trained" for the walk.
The top shot is the first day on the PCT just up from Snowqualmie Pass, the second is in the Olympics , both in Washington State, USA.
The Grand Pass was the 3rd over 1900 meters pass for the day, up from 1100/1200m each time. We camped about 200m below.
BTW, saving weight on a pack does not make any sense to me when you end up with sore shoulders or a bad back at the end of the day.
On the other hand my 700g TT Contrail shelter does the same job for me as a 3kg "bombproof" tent when camping outside a war zone...
Franco
Camping spot, Grand Pass in the background.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 9:30 pm

QFT:
Franco wrote:BTW, saving weight on a pack does not make any sense to me when you end up with sore shoulders or a bad back at the end of the day.

(Quoted For Truth).

This is something that always niggles away at me. I have seen people rave about their new lightweight pack, but when I look at it closely, it's just a pretty shapeless bag with a couple of shoulder straps on it. Pretty fine with nothing in it, but that's not what it is for. To be fair, I think some people have the capability of carrying almost anything without it impacting their ability to continue and to enjoy the trip, sadly I'm not one of them.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 10:43 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm

Brett wrote:Given that the Aarn is designed to take the weight on the front back down to the waist harness this should not be a problem. The only real question I have is how would the pack perform with the more enhanced stomach?

I guess it goes without saying that the seriously obese tend not to go on hikes, so we may never know. :)

For more 'normal' folks with big stomach bones, the Aarn pockets transfer their load to the hipbelt with a malleable aluminium stay. Same arrangement works for all but the most well endowed ladies I hear. Just shape to fit and on your way.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 2:04 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby strewthm8 » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 3:50 pm

G'day all....I bought a 'Natural Exhiliration' pack for overnighters and daywalks last year and also bought the balance pockets for it (sport?)....works fantastically for that purpose- the balance pockets are brilliant. was thinking of a big brother for it for longer trips and looked at a few of the larger versions, but I must say i was worried by the idea of moving parts- just couldn't come at the fiddliness in the end! OK for a short (couple of days) walk and the NE pack has proven to be excellent, but the risk of something busting....! The simpler the better is my view. Ended up with a one planet 'shadow' (1.5kgs) which i've added balance pockets to- works really well and am very happy with the set-up. all I had to do was get some loops sewn onto the hip-belt...

I also had the same issue as a previous poster- what to put in them. I started out with water (to consume while walking) and lunch, snacks etc, but that defeats the purpose- so now put 'static' items in them- spare water, steripen, gps, binoc's etc. Things that reduce in weight go in the pack....(so have gone back to hydration bladder too).

CHeers
David
strewthm8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 7:43 pm

David
Perception is reality however...
I have never come across anyone commenting that their Aarn has failed.
That "Flow-motion" you mention does help with stability making you feel that the weight is always where it should be.
There is no doubt in my mind that those pockets work better with an Aarn rather than when added to another pack. The weight is transferred to the hips not hanging from the shoulders. ( not that everybody prefers all or most of the weight on the hips...)
As far as water, I dislike water bladders and find very easy to drink from the two bottles at the front of the pockets (or inside in the Sport pockets). I use the bottles with my lighter packs too but they require a bit of effort to put back into the side pockets.
As for what to put in the front pockets, well whatever you feel like.To me it makes sense to have the stuff I may need quickly such as trail food, knife,spoon, first aid/repair kit-emergency kit/rain gear/bandanna/hat/gloves/camera/binos/compass/map personal hygiene (inc a sand stake-trowel ,toilet paper and hand sanitiser inside a Zip Lock in the mesh pocket) and my lunch food. Also have there my coffee/sugar and powdered milk, just a habit.
For a long time I had a real problem with all of those straps as I like a "clean" pack, but the extra comfort and balance have made me turn more often to this over my lighter options.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby strewthm8 » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 8:37 am

Franco,
Yes the loops I've sewn onto the hip-belt of my pack are 'stuctural' so the load of the balance pockets is taken by the hip-belt...works just the same as with my Aarn pack..... and luckily all of the other straps and clips on the balance pockets just happen to line up with appropriate connections on the pack...very handy. I also agree the flow motion system is excellent- from personal experience with my NE pack.

Cheers David
strewthm8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:16 am

Oh, I see..
I was surprised that I could get my 08 Expedition pockets to work well with my older (?) Featherlite Freedom. I preferred the new options (extra pockets on the pocket...) to the ones designed for my version. The attachment points are different but the pack and the pockets are supplied with enough bits to adapt them.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 4:35 pm

Aarn is in the process of extending it's 'Marathon Magic' range with larger sizes. Instead Of Marathon Magic, they will be called Mountain Magic. Availability in Australia expected to be March 2010.

There is an early user review over on the BackPackingLight forums here

The front pockets from the standard range is not interchangeable with the Marathon/Mountain Magic range, but pockets are interchangeable within the range. Sizes are 44 and 55L

MountainMagic44.jpg
MountainMagic44.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 29442 times
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 1:25 pm

Has anyone used the peak aspiration? Was wondering if it would be suitable for say 5 day (3 season) bushwalks with the expedition pockets?
Cheers
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 5:11 pm

Lizzy:

The Peak Aspiration comes in two sizes which are rated at 40L and 45L. The Expedition pockets are 18L for the pair, which would bring the total volume up to 58L or 63L. So the question is really how much volume do you need for your 5 day walk?

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 5:20 pm

photohiker wrote:Aarn is in the process of extending it's 'Marathon Magic' range with larger sizes. Instead Of Marathon Magic, they will be called Mountain Magic. Availability in Australia expected to be March 2010.

There is an early user review over on the BackPackingLight forums here

The front pockets from the standard range is not interchangeable with the Marathon/Mountain Magic range, but pockets are interchangeable within the range. Sizes are 44 and 55L

Just a follow up on this.

I was in NZ last week and made contact with Aarn with a view to having a look at and even buying one of the new models if it matched expectations and was available. This was not to be as there was no stock, only production samples, and there is a change of backlength happening for the production model that I really need. Aarn spent some time with me explaining the features of the pack and offered to loan me one of the samples for the week which I gladly accepted. I loaded it with my expected Scotland load and walked the Nydia Track with it. Really enjoyed it and the track. I'm used to a reasonable amount of body freedom within the harness as I already have an Aarn Pack, but the Mountain Magic has improved over my old pack in so many ways I left wondering if I'll ever use it again...

If anyone is interested, I could go into more detail, but no photos, sorry. I had intended to take some, but it was a very busy week and taking photos dropped off the agenda.

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 5:31 pm

Got the Guiding Light with exped pockets and used it on a 5 day tramp in NZ- was brilliant- the most comfortable I have ever been bushwalking!!! excellent work Aarn- I highly recommend this pack.
Cheers Liz
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisC » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 8:03 pm

I bought an Aarn Natural Balance (2kg) and found it very comfortable once it was adjusted correctly. It is easier on the body than the One Planet sidetrack (3.5kg) I have (which is excellent to use), and way better than my old Blackwolf! It is easy to use but does have a lot of straps. With the front pockets it can be a bit unwieldy when not on your back. I bought as Aarn pacer 1 tent and Pacer poles, both of which I am very happy with.
ChrisC
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:16 pm

I used my Natural Balance pack recently for a weekend (to a hut), not a fair trial as I probably only had about 12kg in it when I did the longest walk but I was very happy with the balance part of it. My only problem was one of the struts at the back digging into my back, and that needs adjusting. I like having food and water easily available in the front pockets - much easier to make myself drink frequently. I also used it as a daypack without the front pockets and found it very comfortable.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby under10kg » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:51 am

I used a very light weight pack on my last western authurs trip. I think my total weight for the trip was about 12 kg including food, 2 man pacer tent. 2 mat sleep system etc. I plan to do the western arthursa and fed in febuary and will take my aarn pack and see what the difference in confort is.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment